Anyone know of Portmahon Sheffield?

Guest Gillb

Hi all

Can anyone tell me anything about Portmahon in Sheffield please? I have found it on one of the old maps but I cant figure out if its a street name or an area - can anyone enlighten me please? (Its on a marriage record (Cathedral) from 1854).

Many thanks for any help.

Gill

Port Mahon is behind the old Infirmary, near King Street/Queen Street/Wentworth Street - just up from Upperthorpe Road (from 1849) - don't the maps cover this area ??

Thanks Steve and Richard

I'll have a look at the pictures - thanks a lot.

The maps dont make it clear if its a street or an area - unless I cant see it well enough and the marriage record just said Portmahon - no street or road.

Thanks for your help.

Gill

Hi SteveHB

Thanks very much for the link - I know exactly where this is now!

Gill

I may be wrong, but would say that 'Port Mahon' was an area, it even had a Post Office under the same name.

A photo on 'picturesheffield' from 1930.

Hi SteveHB

Thanks very much for the link - I know exactly where this is now!

Gill

I may be wrong, but would say that 'Port Mahon' was an area, it even had a Post Office under the same name.

A photo on 'picturesheffield' from 1930.

Hi Gillb,

Yes RichardB was right ..

We do have a map that covers most the 'Port Mahon' area. map #275

A snip from it here.

See also maps #30 (bottom R/H corner) and 274 (top L/H corner)

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for this - Im new to the site and havent found my way around it yet so the maps I found were on a different site. These are much better - thanks for posting and thanks for putting the maps on they will be really useful.

Gill

Hi Steve

Thanks for this - Im new to the site and havent found my way around it yet so the maps I found were on a different site. These are much better - thanks for posting and thanks for putting the maps on they will be really useful.

Gill

Hell again Gillb and a late 'Welcome' to SHEFFIELD HISTORY

If you need to reply and quote a members post,

Click on 'Quote' then click 'ADD REPLY' you can then type/add your reply in the edit box, under the members text.

Steve

... the maps I found were on a different site. These are much better - thanks for posting and thanks for putting the maps on they will be really useful.

Maps from another site - Shocking ! lol

If you wish, post details of the Marriage, or even a copy of the certificate, we like to "dig around" in Victorian stuff - you never know we might be able to help - somewhere on here is an 1831 Census listing with names !!! covering that district.

By the way......but you may already know this......Port Mahon is pronounced 'Port mee on'

I used to live there - look on the map - at the junction of Bellefield Street and Cross Hunt Street. I can just remember the Portmahon Works.

If you wish, post details of the Marriage, or even a copy of the certificate, we like to "dig around" in Victorian stuff - you never know we might be able to help - somewhere on here is an 1831 Census listing with names !!! covering that district.

Hi all - this is a fantastic site - thanks so much everyone. The maps werent a patch on the ones on this site, dont worry!!

The marriage was 10 April 1854, at Cathedral (Parish Church) between samuel Hague (Grinder, residence Portmahon) and sophia Fox, (Shepherd St), (Samuels father was George, a servant)

I will have a root around for the 1831 info to see if George was there at the time. This is my brick wall as I cant find them in the 1841/51 so any help would be very gratefully received!

Thanks so much and hope I did the quote correctly!

Gill

By the way......but you may already know this......Port Mahon is pronounced 'Port mee on'

Hi Docmel, I didnt know this so thanks for this too!

Richard - Ive done some searching and understand that it was after one of the Napoleonic war victories.

Gill

(Ive another query but will have a root about first so you dont think Im just taking the easy oprion of asking you!)

Richard B - not sure what you saying by pointing to that post - is that how you think it was pronounced?

all I know is that when I was a kid, growing up in the area, all my elderly relatives pronounced it 'Port mee on' - I suspect if you had said 'Port Mawn' (which incidentally my be the 'proper' Queens English way of saying it, but we Sheffielders do have a habit of 'customising' our mother tongue ,don't we?) they would have wondered where the hell you were going.

I used to go to a job round the bottom of Oxford rd near the pub called "The Office"

As late as three years ago, while we were all still using map books, the area was listed as Port Mahone in the O/S book for South Yorks.

Richard B - not sure what you saying by pointing to that post - is that how you think it was pronounced?

all I know is that when I was a kid, growing up in the area, all my elderly relatives pronounced it 'Port mee on' - I suspect if you had said 'Port Mawn' (which incidentally my be the 'proper' Queens English way of saying it, but we Sheffielders do have a habit of 'customising' our mother tongue ,don't we?) they would have wondered where the hell you were going.

At the time of my original posting, I honestly could not remember the pronunciation, I just knew it was not as it was written.

Hi Richard - any chance that you can point me at this 1831 census please - Ive had a good search around the site but I havent been able to find it.

Thanks a lot,

Gill

The 1831 census book on that site was, I think, the transcription published by the Sheffield FHS, which they should not have been putting on a public site.

The census book only lists heads of household and the other information is limited.

There are no HAGUEs listed for Port Mahon.

The only George HAGUE was a mason living at Hill Foot. Only other person in the household, 1 female.

What was Samuel's age on his marriage certificate?

Hugh :)

There are no HAGUEs listed for Port Mahon.

The only George HAGUE was a mason living at Hill Foot. Only other person in the household, 1 female.

What was Samuel's age on his marriage certificate?

Hi Hugh

thanks for this. Samuel was 21 when he got married (10/04/1834) his residence was given a Portmahon, father's name George a servant. This is a mystery - I think i may have found his father, George (presuming Hague) in the 1841 census living at Crooks moor but no wife and no samuel but the dates could fit and he was a servant. So far I cant find a baptism or death and probably not a marriage either, although Ive found a George Hague married Martha Pinder in 1833 in dronfield - could possibly be a link as there is an Elvina Pinder Hague and presumably a Pinder there somewhere and I suspect that there might have been a marriage of cousins somewhere in there.

Im hoping to get a bit more info from Samuel's service record from the Y & L to shed some light!

Thanks for any thoughts,

Gill

ps are you the Hugh W who is doing the Knapton one name study? I have knaptons in my tree (Sophia Hague m George knapton, son Herbert who was killed in WW1 - this Sophia was daughter of the Samuel above and his wife Sophia).