Jeffie Bainbridge Childrens Shelter

POPPYCHRISTINA

One of the things that has happened as I get older is that I look around me at buildings which I have bypassed before without really looking at them properly. .Many is the time that I have stood outside The Brown Bear on Norfolk Street and never noticed this engraving before .

The writing is over a door opposite the pub.Anyone know anything about it or Jeffie Bainbridge?

One of the things that has happened as I get older is that I look around me at buildings which I have bypassed before without really looking at them properly. .Many is the time that I have stood outside The Brown Bear on Norfolk Street and never noticed this engraving before .

The writing is over a door opposite the pub.Anyone know anything about it or Jeffie Bainbridge?

Will this do?

Had a closer look at this building yesterday. There is a lot more left than the plaque. Both Emerson and Jeffie Bainbridge's initials are there and male and female carved heads too (presumably the couple themselves). Here are photos of the initials.

Emerson Bainbridge.jpeg

Jeffie.jpeg

11 hours ago, southside said:

Is this the same doorway?  Calvin72

Looks like it :) The Childrens Shelter certainly has two of those large carriage sized entrances.

638892535_ChildrensShelter.png.372a926a06239608ba0935f4e86a9ced.png

The Concord chinese was at 106 Surrey Street.  The Childrens Shelter itself appears to have used the first and second floors (marked 2 & 3 on the map).  The Halifax Building Society first moved in during 1917, following the loss of premises jointly operated with the Halifax and District Permanent Banking Co. at 53/55 Surrey Street, which were lost on the takeover  of the latter by the Union Bank of Manchester.

In 1974 the first shop past the Upper Chapel, was the Typewriter Centre,(which I think you entered via the Jeffie Bainbridge entrance ) then the S M C Shirt Shop and then the Concord Chinese Restaurant, I have a feeling that the Restaurant was named Hudson's at one time, the dining area was up a flight of stairs as you went in, I can remember going in a couple of times.

6 minutes ago, SteveHB said:

Norfolk Street, (Norfolk Row to Surrey Street), 1957 directory.

K_1957.jpg

The tobacconist, Michael Mower had a ornate Rams Head in his window,with silver mounts on its horns plus other silver embellishments, if I recall correctly in the centre of its head it had a large  circular snuff box that had a lid, I’ll never forget that Rams Head it was in the corner window on Norfolk Street.