The Cannon

Sheffield History

THE CANNON

30 Castle Street, Sheffield S1

INFORMATION

Now forcibly closed by the courts after police action and a serious number of incidents over the last few years, the Cannon has now become folklore.

I only have one story - that of a naive DJ who was booked to play a private party there. As he unloaded his van on his own he took his stuff in through the front door piece by piece, and every piece he took in was gone by the time he'd got the next lot from his van.

When he realised what was happening it was too late - only for him to go outside to his van to find they had taken everything out of there too.

20 minutes to go from mobile DJ to unemployed van owner with no witnesses of the offence either

Classic - feel sorry for that chap but let's face it the Cannon was quite notorious and I think that pubs like this will go down in Sheffield folklore..

PICTURES

I know that story - except is was of the new DJ that just bought all his stuff and this was his first booking.

He unloaded the stuff, set it up and put a record on.

Went to the toilet for a wee - when he started weeing he heard the music go off - he quickly finished his wee and ran out to see what the problem was and all his stuff was gone.

Obviously - no-one saw a thing in there.......

Guest sheffsteel

It had a reputation even in the mid 80's.

It was common knowledge that many criminals, football hooligans and idiots used to go in.

I'd only just started drinkng but I was warned by everyone to treat this pub with extra caution.

I only ever went in once in about 1985.

It was early evening about 8pm, there wasnt many people in, just a group of about 6 young

lads stood near the bar. There was 3 of us and we sat down.

Anyhow one of the lads after drinkng his drink instead of putting his empty pint glass on the

bar he through it against the bottom of the wall not far from where we were sat, his mates

were laughing as bits of glass shattered over the floor.

I got the impression these lads were looking for a fight.

Fortunatey we'd finished our drinks, so we didn't make any eye contact with them and

calmly walked out (as though we'd not noticed anything).

I think the landlord had seen what happened but he didnt seem bothered.

Obviously I never went in again and that was my one and only experience of

spending just 20 minutes in the Cannon.

Guest Miami Don8

It had a reputation even in the mid 80's.

It was common knowledge that many criminals, football hooligans and idiots used to go in.

I'd only just started drinking but I was warned by everyone to treat this pub with extra caution.

I only ever went in once in about 1985.

It was early evening about 8pm, there wasn't many people in, just a group of about 6 young

lads stood near the bar. There was 3 of us and we sat down.

Anyhow one of the lads after drinking his drink instead of putting his empty pint glass on the

bar he through it against the bottom of the wall not far from where we were sat, his mates

were laughing as bits of glass shattered over the floor.

I got the impression these lads were looking for a fight.

Fortunately we'd finished our drinks, so we didn't make any eye contact with them and

calmly walked out (as though we'd not noticed anything).

I think the landlord had seen what happened but he didn't seem bothered.

Obviously I never went in again and that was my one and only experience of

spending just 20 minutes in the Cannon.

Guest Miami Don8

In The 60's it was the builders pub. They would be in, after work, or if they were rained off. Never saw as many Barney Goodman or Billy Makley suits used as workware.

It was a hard pub then, but, if there was any trouble it was sorted out by the men involved and no one else.

Oh happy days.