Upperthorpe shopping area in the 50's and 60's

Guest Desy

This was the main hub shopping area without having to go as far down as Infirmary road. the main shop was the Post office but starting from the Library end on te top corner was a ladies Lingerie shop I think it was Audrey Daltons (not Sure), Upperthorpe Hotel then Bernards the barber. Then I think a butchers with the post office next The first supermarket in the area was next Tesco I think then another Barbers Alec Anson (smashing bloke Polish) then a newsagent and at the far endwas a Drapers and across the road Eversley House.

Along the other side was Cartledges this took over 3 or 4 shops and sold clothing you name it they had it, then I think there was a bread shop forgot what was in between then there was Firths the chemists.

There were a few other shops scattered arounr Denniffs butchers at the top of portland Street.

At the bottom of Addy street was a drapers, cobblers and a couple of sweet shops before you got opposite the Oxford.

I am certain that I hasve missed a few can you remember

This was the main hub shopping area without having to go as far down as Infirmary road. the main shop was the Post office but starting from the Library end on te top corner was a ladies Lingerie shop I think it was Audrey Daltons (not Sure), Upperthorpe Hotel then Bernards the barber. Then I think a butchers with the post office next The first supermarket in the area was next Tesco I think then another Barbers Alec Anson (smashing bloke Polish) then a newsagent and at the far endwas a Drapers and across the road Eversley House.

Along the other side was Cartledges this took over 3 or 4 shops and sold clothing you name it they had it, then I think there was a bread shop forgot what was in between then there was Firths the chemists.

There were a few other shops scattered arounr Denniffs butchers at the top of portland Street.

At the bottom of Addy street was a drapers, cobblers and a couple of sweet shops before you got opposite the Oxford.

OK - got me thinking now...the Upperthorpe pub was set back and went behind the shops on the corner.

Walking from the Library was a shop on the corner - I think sold small furniture items and toys. Then the Upperthorpe - not sure where Bernards was but then there was a knitting shop - that's where the bus stop was . There was a bakers, next to the butchers.

Alec Anson cut my hair for years when I was a kid - always had a *** in his mouth - a new one was lit from the stub iof the old one.

The drapers at the bottom of Oxford street was called Shaws or Straws I think.

On the other side was a wet fish shop

Thats all I can remember for now

OK - got me thinking now...the Upperthorpe pub was set back and went behind the shops on the corner.

Walking from the Library was a shop on the corner - I think sold small furniture items and toys. Then the Upperthorpe - not sure where Bernards was but then there was a knitting shop - that's where the bus stop was . There was a bakers, next to the butchers.

Alec Anson cut my hair for years when I was a kid - always had a *** in his mouth - a new one was lit from the stub iof the old one.

Taken a few weeks ago.

On the other side from the post office in the late fifties was one of the first laundrettes to open in Sheffield ( I think it was one of the first anyway ).

Yes docmel the shop was straws I remember and there was a wet fish shop opposite. As for the shop on the corner it was a ladies wear shop and a small furniture outlet. As for the Upperthorpe being set back it was because the end Shop Bernards the barbes front came further out.

Yes chalky it was the first launderette .

Also in the 50's I think that they called the Postmistress Mrs Thickett?

Yes docmel the shop was straws I remember and there was a wet fish shop opposite. As for the shop on the corner it was a ladies wear shop and a small furniture outlet. As for the Upperthorpe being set back it was because the end Shop Bernards the barbes front came further out.

Yes chalky it was the first launderette .

Also in the 50's I think that they called the Postmistress Mrs Thickett?

I remember going into the Upperthorpe pub when I was a kid - (my grandad was always in there) and going through the bar to the snooker room which was at the back of the corner shop - first time I had seen a full size table and thought it amazing.

The 'Buffs' also met there and I remember going to one or two kids Xmas parties they organised (like a lot of pubs in those days there was a 'concert room' - the Upperthorpe's was upstairs overlooking the street.) The Buffs also organised an annual day trip for the kids to Cleethorpes - another fond memory.

Going on from the Library up Daniel Hill on the left hand side was the Wash House (worth its own thread I think) - on the right hand side, my memory is a bit hazy - I know there was a chippy but I am not sure whether that was in later years - and not the 50's and 60's when I was growing up. On the corner of Daniel Hill and Westmorland Street was a general stores/off license, run at one time by my gran's sister, Dorothy Flint.

Upperthorpe was well served for buses - the 8/9 Inner Circular and the 31 Lower Walkley ('Little ticker') - so nicknamed cus it was a single decker bus - rare in those days - I was told it was single decker because of all the tight turns and steep hills it had to climb

I remember going into the Upperthorpe pub when I was a kid - (my grandad was always in there) and going through the bar to the snooker room which was at the back of the corner shop - first time I had seen a full size table and thought it amazing.

The 'Buffs' also met there and I remember going to one or two kids Xmas parties they organised (like a lot of pubs in those days there was a 'concert room' - the Upperthorpe's was upstairs overlooking the street.) The Buffs also organised an annual day trip for the kids to Cleethorpes - another fond memory.

Going on from the Library up Daniel Hill on the left hand side was the Wash House (worth its own thread I think) - on the right hand side, my memory is a bit hazy - I know there was a chippy but I am not sure whether that was in later years - and not the 50's and 60's when I was growing up. On the corner of Daniel Hill and Westmorland Street was a general stores/off license, run at one time by my gran's sister, Dorothy Flint.

Upperthorpe was well served for buses - the 8/9 Inner Circular and the 31 Lower Walkley ('Little ticker') - so nicknamed cus it was a single decker bus - rare in those days - I was told it was single decker because of all the tight turns and steep hills it had to climb

Another couple of memory joggers,docmel.

George

Another couple of memory joggers,docmel.

George

Learned to swim in those baths - used to come down from Ckrookesmoor School every Monday afternoon for swimming lessons - may be wrong but I thought the swimming teacher was Mr Price.

Just above the baths (looks like a small block of flats now) was a cooperage - my grandad used to know quite a few people in there and took me in to watch the barrels being made.

The library had a kids section on the right - it was in that building I discovered my passion for books, and it has remained with me ever since. My missus plays hell sometimes cus I never throw a book away - whereas once she has read one - it is off to the charity shop.

"Then I think a butchers with the post office next The first supermarket in the area was next Tesco I think then another Barbers Alec Anson (smashing bloke Polish) then a newsagent and at the far endwas a Drapers and across the road Eversley House."

Where was Tesco at uperthorpe?

Wasnt there a jewellery shop at the side of the Upperthorpe pub.

Yeh I think bernard the barbers missus sold the stuff from the counter between the shop door and the outside door. Thought it was a stupid idea round there really

Guest davexl5

On the other side from the post office in the late fifties was one of the first laundrettes to open in Sheffield ( I think it was one of the first anyway ).

I played a lot round Upperthorpe as a child in the mid sixties and had many a short back and sides in Bernards,

which was a shame because I always requested a beatle cut.

At this time the shop on the bottom corner of Addy St was known to us as Baders,

run i think by an old polish woman.

Going up on the same side there was a greengrocers and a sweet shop called Daintees,

don't know the name of the owners but they had a daughter a year or so older than me.

The next sweet shop up opposite the Oxford was Kays,

the off licence on Daniel hill at this time was known to us as Hucknalls.

I have had plenty of fish and chips at the chippie a couple of doors down for 1 and 6 in old money,

below this was Harry Boyles betting shop.

Hope this has stirred some memories for now,

I am not very good at this typing game.

Wool shop definately Straw's also a fruit and veg shop next to Carledges at the Top of Portland Street.

Wool shop definately Straw's also a fruit and veg shop next to Carledges at the Top of Portland Street.

Yes it was Straws and I remember Cartledges at the top of Portland Street, that was really going

into the dark ages going in there. It was so dark in there with those dark wooden drawers with

brass holders on to open and close them.

Me and my pals used to look in the window and giggle at the white long johns and men's

very large under pants in the window.

I don't know where the Tesco was that someone mentioned but I know there was a Spar

almost next to the post- office.

Yes it was Straws and I remember Cartledges at the top of Portland Street, that was really going

into the dark ages going in there. It was so dark in there with those dark wooden drawers with

brass holders on to open and close them.

Me and my pals used to look in the window and giggle at the white long johns and men's

very large under pants in the window.

I don't know where the Tesco was that someone mentioned but I know there was a Spar

almost next to the post- office.

I also vaguely remember as a three year old being perambulated to meadow street quuite late on Saturday night as the lack of refridgeration would cause the butcher to put a sale on his remaining choice cuts and bargains were to be had for the Sunday roast.

I also vaguely remember as a three year old being perambulated to meadow street quuite late on Saturday night as the lack of refridgeration would cause the butcher to put a sale on his remaining choice cuts and bargains were to be had for the Sunday roast.

I like that one nev, "perambulated to Meadow street "

Which butchers would that have been . . Wray's or Savages.?

Guest andy5363

My dad was the manager of wrays butchers on netherthorpe then had the butchers next to bernards barbers, next door was a wool shop called Hallams then the fine fare supermarket then the post office then simpsons buthchers next was Davys the bakers then ansons barbers next to that was taylors pork shop then a grocers a newsagent and the clothes shop at the end i think

My dad was the manager of wrays butchers on netherthorpe then had the butchers next to bernards barbers, next door was a wool shop called Hallams then the fine fare supermarket then the post office then simpsons buthchers next was Davys the bakers then ansons barbers next to that was taylors pork shop then a grocers a newsagent and the clothes shop at the end i think

Hi andy

Did you ever work in the butchers on Netherthorpe with your dad?

Are the shops you are discribing the ones on Netherthorpe [ Place ] next to Wray's or on Upperthorpe.

I reconize those on Upperthorpe, the wool shop, Fine Fare, Post Office but Davy's was opposite to the

Post Office. Taylors was on Netherthorpe though.

Guest andy5363

no i was too young to work in wrays on netherthorpe somwhere i have a picture of my dad in there in the early 60's he moved to upperthorpe shops in the late 60's but i remember more from the early 70's

Guest aubreylambert

Remember all of this, my dad and uncle (was originally my grandfather) had the fruit shop at the top of Portland street and then moved in to Cartledges on the corner of Upperthorpe road. I useed to work in the shop in the 1960's and 1970's,

Remember Bernard the Barber and Fish Jim, Mrs Straw and lots more

Guest shelagh scholfield

My mum did the washing at the wash house attached to the Upperthorpe Baths.I once peeked inside the door and saw MASSIVE driers that reached up to the ceiling from the floor.It is hard to describe what I saw ,I can only say it was industrial.Are there any photos or is there anyone out there with better descriptive language than me?

Thought I would put on site how Upperthorpe Shops were situate in 1958, and after, if some are wrong or any missed out, Sorry but it is a long time ago.

From Addy Street end.

Furniture store then Twelvetrees carpet store on corner Upperthorpe Road & Addy Street

Upperthorpe public house.

Bernard's Hairdressers & Jewellers.

Wrays Butchers this became Roland Lee's Butchers.

Hallam Wool Shop, Yvonnes then Mables.

Cammocks Wine shop, this became Fine Fare supermarket.

Post Office Mrs Norwood? then Mr & Mrs Bacon.

Simpsons Butchers.

Shentalls grocers this changed to Styans then Davys Bakers when Shentalls moved to Cammocks after Fine Fare take over.

Alexs Gents Hairdressers downstairs & Mrs Anson Ladies Hairdressers upstairs.

Fred Taylors Pork Butchers.

Billys Hardware.

Lens? Greengrocers.

Newsagents.

Mrs Straws Hosiers on corner of Upperthorpe Road & Oxford Street.

ACROSS ROAD.

Large private house Mrs Brennan.

Beightons Greengrocers this became Mr Greens Launderette.

Gladys & Jacks wet fish shop.

Friths Chemists.

D.G.Ridge Butchers.

Ladies Hairdressers.

Mrs Solitice General Store, I went to Crookesmoor School with her son Derrick.

Cartledges Clothing Store, when this shop closed Lamberts moved there Greengrocers business from the top of Portland Street into it.

Last shop before Lane down to Hay, Straw & Animal feed store was

Denniffs Butchers.