Peter Wood Farm - Mayfield?

mike142sl

Hello all,

I'm the current scout leader at Fulwood and have been given some old annual reviews from 1949, 1950, 1954 and 1959. They are packed with incredibly interesting facts about the scout troop since it started in 1949, or so I thought - it turns out the first troop was set up in 1923.

However, there are several reports of camps at a place called Peter Wood Farm which must have been local as one reference states that it only took them 45 minutes to walk there with their trek cart*. Others refer to four tents being set up next to the river, and one about rolling kit down a steep bank. (* they met at the Guildhall)

I have checked all my maps and can find no ref to a farm called Peter Wood. I visited central library yesterday and had nearly all the staff intrigued as well, hunting high and low for maps of all ages. A thanks in one of the reviews to a Mr Woodhouse allowed us to trace him in a directory of businesses in Sheffield as the owner of Peter Wood Farm but that did not give any further address details apart from Fulwood 10. He is still listed in the 1957 directory, however by 1969 the farm is held by a B.W Broomhead who is still there in 1973. I wondered if the farm had been consumed by residential development, however as it is still listed in 1973 this is not likely to be the case.

Does anyone recognise, or know, where Peter Wood farm is - or was?

The only incling that I have is that it is the farm that is known on maps as Douse Croft Farm on Douse Croft Lane as there is a Peterwood Cottage there.

I look forward to you help.

Yes, thanks, I had found those but unfortunately they don't give any clues.

Hi Mike

You've actually found it. the cluster of buildings on Douse Croft Lane is actually two former farms. The ones nearest the road are Douse Croft Farm, the ones set further back now called Peter Wood Cottage are really Peter Wood Farm, immediately below Peter Wood itself. I'm afraid I can't give you any pointers as to which land it farmed, and I'm still trying to work out the photos mentioned!

The steep bank was probably the sloping land near the bottom of the hill on the left called Washer Lands. (That name goes back to the 17th Century at least). The Mayfield Brook runs in the bottom, and that's presumably the river next to which they set up their tents.

Regards

Bayleaf

Thanks Bayleaf, I shall go down and have a look around. Where did you find out that the land is called Washer Lands?

As for the photo's, one I think shows the woods of Bennett Grange in the background on top of the hill.

Thanks Bayleaf, I shall go down and have a look around. Where did you find out that the land is called Washer Lands?

As for the photo's, one I think shows the woods of Bennett Grange in the background on top of the hill.

OK, here comes the commercial break! The Friends of the Porter Valley are about to publish a history of farming in the Porter and Mayfield valleys, and I did a lot of the research for it. It appears on the 1791-1805 Upper Hallam Enclosures Act map, and earlier in the Harrison Survey of 1637.

Field names in the valley are a fascinating topic. many still have names that go back centuries. A couple of years ago I organised some fieldwalking in a field at School Green Lane near some field boundaries that show evidence of dating from Romano-British times, and we found pieces of pottery from every century from the 13th to the present, as well as some lead slag that may be from the furnace on the Bole Hill off Blackbrook Road.

Bayleaf,

I shall be interested to see those maps, I need to go back to the library and let the staff know the outcome of this anyway so shall see if we can find the maps as well.

I was born in a house on Blackbrook Rd and lived there for 27 years so know the area very well, the history of farming will be very interesting - let us know when it's published.

Also, you've probably noticed that for some reason the council maps label Bole Hill as Bore Hill ??

Bayleaf,

I shall be interested to see those maps, I need to go back to the library and let the staff know the outcome of this anyway so shall see if we can find the maps as well.

I was born in a house on Blackbrook Rd and lived there for 27 years so know the area very well, the history of farming will be very interesting - let us know when it's published.

Also, you've probably noticed that for some reason the council maps label Bole Hill as Bore Hill ??

Unfortunately although buildings are marked on the maps, there are no farm names. The maps for the 1637 survey have disappeared, but have been painstakingly reconstructed by G Scurfield. Ask at the library for the Yorkshire Archaeological Journal Vol 58, 1986.

His report starts on page 147, and includes his reconstructed maps. The Enclosures maps are in the Sheffield Archives on Shoreham Street. If you've never been to the Archives have a look at their website as you have to join before using any material, and they require various bits of ID.

There was at least one other of these 'double' farms in the valley. Hangingwater Farm stood where the block of flats now stands on Hangingwater Road, but at the other side of a small lane was Manor Farm. They were so close they look like one farm on the map. The research threw up quite a number of farm names which do seem to have disappeared, and one of the on-going tasks is to try to track them down, though I suspect many or most are underneath the houses now.

Bole Hill is also 'Bore Hill' in the Sheffield A-Z. I think it's one of the deliberate errors map publishers incorporate to trace whether anyone is copying their maps for publication without their permission.

Aren't maps wonderful things!

Guest PWS Boy 1947/68

Hello all,

I'm the current scout leader at Fulwood and have been given some old annual reviews from 1949, 1950, 1954 and 1959. They are packed with incredibly interesting facts about the scout troop since it started in 1949, or so I thought - it turns out the first troop was set up in 1923.

However, there are several reports of camps at a place called Peter Wood Farm which must have been local as one reference states that it only took them 45 minutes to walk there with their trek cart*. Others refer to four tents being set up next to the river, and one about rolling kit down a steep bank. (* they met at the Guildhall)

I have checked all my maps and can find no ref to a farm called Peter Wood. I visited central library yesterday and had nearly all the staff intrigued as well, hunting high and low for maps of all ages. A thanks in one of the reviews to a Mr Woodhouse allowed us to trace him in a directory of businesses in Sheffield as the owner of Peter Wood Farm but that did not give any further address details apart from Fulwood 10. He is still listed in the 1957 directory, however by 1969 the farm is held by a B.W Broomhead who is still there in 1973. I wondered if the farm had been consumed by residential development, however as it is still listed in 1973 this is not likely to be the case.

The only incling that I have is that it is the farm that is known on maps as Douse Croft Farm on Douse Croft Lane as there is a Peterwood Cottage there.

Hi Mike. My dad worked at Peter Wood farm in the 1940s. Up until the late 50s he used to take me with him as he kept in touch after he had left. I forget now just where it was, I will ask my mum as she will know. She is 94 now but still has a very good memory. Regards, Mick. [ ex 159th Neepsend scout]

Mike. Photo s09653 Haymaking at Peter Wood shows my dad on the far right. My maternal great grandmother was a Woodhouse, and it was her son that farmed Peter Wood. The farm was on the right near the bend going up Douce Croft Lane. Grandma Woodhouse lived at Jeffery green in one of a row of four cottages lower down the valley. Hope this helps.

Mike. Photo s09653 Haymaking at Peter Wood shows my dad on the far right. My maternal great grandmother was a Woodhouse, and it was her son that farmed Peter Wood. The farm was on the right near the bend going up Douce Croft Lane. Grandma Woodhouse lived at Jeffery green in one of a row of four cottages lower down the valley. Hope this helps.

Hi, welcome to the Forum and thanks for your contribution. If you've read through the thread you'll know I've been doing some research on farming in this valley. Would it be possible to tell me your dad's name and the name of the farmer you mentioned, and the period you're talking about? It would be good to add them to the records, it brings the past alive to be able to identify people.

On a more general note, the History of Farming in the Porter and Mayfield Valleys is now out and available from the Friends of the Porter Valley (for contact details see

http://sheffieldport...g.uk/index.html

and click the Publications button on the left.)

Thanks again and look forward to more of your posts!

Bayleaf,

The farmer was called Jason Woodhouse at that time. The farm later changed hands to the Broomhead family in the 1960s I think.

Waterside Echo,

What a fantastic find. You should contact the Sheffield Library and let them know, as they can update the information about the picture.

I have also made contact with an 'old' scout who camped at Peter Wood. He has promised to send me some pics so with his permission I shall add them here at some point.

The Friends of Porter Valley have run out of the farming book and are awaiting a re print, so you will need to get your name down.

Hi, welcome to the Forum and thanks for your contribution. If you've read through the thread you'll know I've been doing some research on farming in this valley. Would it be possible to tell me your dad's name and the name of the farmer you mentioned, and the period you're talking about? It would be good to add them to the records, it brings the past alive to be able to identify people.

On a more general note, the History of Farming in the Porter and Mayfield Valleys is now out and available from the Friends of the Porter Valley (for contact details see

http://sheffieldportervalley.org.uk/index.html

and click the Publications button on the left.

Thanks again and look forward to more of your posts!

Hi. My father was Charles William Taylor the younger brother of Eric Woodhouse Taylor, [of Sheffield Wednesday fame]. My great uncle who farmed Peter Wood was a Woodhouse . We can not remember his first name but his wife was called Edith. I mistakenly mentioned that great grandma Woodhouse was my maternal grandma, that should have said paternal. Regards, Michael Taylor.

We can not remember his first name but his wife was called Edith.
He's shown in the directory of businesses as Jsn Woodhouse, as far as 1957, then by 1967 the farm is shown as owned by B W Broomhead.

Hi. My father was Charles William Taylor the younger brother of Eric Woodhouse Taylor, [of Sheffield Wednesday fame]. My great uncle who farmed Peter Wood was a Woodhouse . We can not remember his first name but his wife was called Edith. I mistakenly mentioned that great grandma Woodhouse was my maternal grandma, that should have said paternal. Regards, Michael Taylor.

Thanks Michael, duly noted!

Guest Always a blue

Hello,

I'am a woodhouse from mayfield valley, one of my relatives lives in the top cottage on David Lane, Fulwood he knows all the farms in that area

Thanks

Hello,

I'am a woodhouse from mayfield valley, one of my relatives lives in the top cottage on David Lane, Fulwood he knows all the farms in that area

Thanks

Hi, and welcome to the Forum! Thanks for that information. would it be possible to PM me with contact details of your relative, if he wouldn't mind us contacting him? We're still trying to track down some of the farms that have disappeared.

There was at least one other of these 'double' farms in the valley. Hangingwater Farm stood where the block of flats now stands on Hangingwater Road, but at the other side of a small lane was Manor Farm. They were so close they look like one farm on the map. The research threw up quite a number of farm names which do seem to have disappeared, and one of the on-going tasks is to try to track them down, though I suspect many or most are underneath the houses now.

Hi

I have a lot of interest in this area, my grandma lived in the Mayfield Valley prior to marrying, she was called Martha Lidster (the Lidster family appear to have moved to Ringinglow from Haxey, Lincolnshire around 1875) in 1901 they lived in Andrew lane (now Andwel lane). Martha married a decendant of the quarry owners of Lydgate/ Crookes an Albert Sanderson.

As children my gran took us to the harvest festival and carol concerts held in the chapel at mayfield.

My nan (Elizabeth Leigh) delivered milk for the owners of Hangingwater Farm, and lived in a house close by.

Hi

I have a lot of interest in this area, my grandma lived in the Mayfield Valley prior to marrying, she was called Martha Lidster (the Lidster family appear to have moved to Ringinglow from Haxey, Lincolnshire around 1875) in 1901 they lived in Andrew lane (now Andwel lane). Martha married a decendant of the quarry owners of Lydgate/ Crookes an Albert Sanderson.

As children my gran took us to the harvest festival and carol concerts held in the chapel at mayfield.

My nan (Elizabeth Leigh) delivered milk for the owners of Hangingwater Farm, and lived in a house close by.

Hi Sando

That's very interesting, thanks for posting. I don't know if you've seen it but there's a picture of Hangingwater Farm here

Perhaps yourNan lived in one of those houses?

Bayleaf

Great Picture thanks, any idea of a date? It looks like those are are the houses on Hangingwater road, with Fulney or Oakbrook road in the background, prior to the building of Frickley and Westwood roads. the big house to the right of the picture is still there just above the flats.

My nan lived on Glen view which was down the side of the top terrace (not yet built on this picture), it was a yard of about 5 terrace houses. At the top of the yard was a tall wall with ceramic bricks that was part of the farm. I am sure some of the farm outbuildings are still standing behind her old house. Will have to go and look at the weekend.

Hello all,

I have just shown this item to my dad, he remembers the scout camp, it had wooden sleeping huts, and the stream was damed to form a swimming pool, bet that was a bit bleak. Boys were obviously tougher in those days

I have just shown this item to my dad, he remembers the scout camp, it had wooden sleeping huts, and the stream was damed to form a swimming pool, bet that was a bit bleak. Boys were obviously tougher in those days
Hi Sando, I think your dad is thinking of Hesley Wood in Chapeltown, which is the main scout camp centre. Peter Wood is a normal farm where the Troop took their tents and pitched in a field - no such luxuries as huts.

As for lads being tougher those days, take a look at what my lot get upto in the Lakes in Low Water - http://www.142group.net/scamp08/monday.html

Hi Sando, I think your dad is thinking of Hesley Wood in Chapeltown, which is the main scout camp centre. Peter Wood is a normal farm where the Troop took their tents and pitched in a field - no such luxuries as huts.

As for lads being tougher those days, take a look at what my lot get upto in the Lakes in Low Water - http://www.142group.net/scamp08/monday.html

Since the early 1930s he lived just down the road from the farm at Nether Greeen and spent many hours playing in the Mayfield Valley, his mum was born and raised in the valley so I doubt he is getting it mixed up with Hesley Woods as he has never been there.

He is still at my house and says he can deffinitly remember huts, and playing in the pool lots of times as they trecked up the river bed from Forge Dam to play in the pool. He never stayed at the camp but can clearly remember it, and the long huts, could the huts have been other farm buildings.

Since the early 1930s he lived just down the road from the farm at Nether Greeen and spent many hours playing in the Mayfield Valley, his mum was born and raised in the valley so I doubt he is getting it mixed up with Hesley Woods as he has never been there.

He is still at my house and says he can deffinitly remember huts, and playing in the pool lots of times as they trecked up the river bed from Forge Dam to play in the pool. He never stayed at the camp but can clearly remember it, and the long huts, could the huts have been other farm buildings.

That's a puzzler Sando! If you follow the river up from Forge Dam you come to Carr Bridge, then just above on the May Brook was the lower dam for the Fulwood Mills. Could that be the dam your dad remembers? There would have been buildings for the mill, though both they and the dam are long gone. If you carry on up the Porter there are no more dams, but there are some decent sized pools. The buildings are a puzzle though. On the other hand, there used to be some wooden buildings at Forge Dam, where the open area is now just below the outflow, and the Dam itself was once used as a swimming pool, though whether as late as the 30's I don't know. I'll be fascinated to know the answer to this one though!

Re Hangingwater Farm photo,I don't know the date, but if you search on www.picturesheffield.co.uk for Hangingwater Road there are several pictures, some dated and some not. Comparing some of them I'd say the photo of the farm was taken between 1890 and 1905.