16 broomhall street

Guest pwelch

I am searching for info regarding who lived at 16 broomhall street in the 1860s-1870s

We think a relative of ours stayed ther while training to be a nurse - she became the matron of a hospital in Melbourne Australia

Also which hospital might she have been trained at? Any help would be great!!!!

Penny

Guest pwelch

Can you tell us her name please ?

Welcome to the Site, Good Luck etc etc.

Hi Richard

Her name was Jane Molohan. We think she may ahve been there with her sister Marie - both from County Clare Ireland

The name Algernon was also mentioned. Can you help????

Penny

White's 1879 Directory

16 Broomhall Street

TAYLOR Algernon surgeon

This is the last address listed before Devonshire Street, going from West Street southward, on the east side of Broomhall St. This part of the street exists as 'stub', not necessarily named.

This must be close to or on the site of the Wharncliffe Fireclay Works, which is dated (on a plaque) 1888.

Devonshire St is visible to the right. Broomhall St continued across what is now an open space beyond.

Hugh

The Public Hospital and Dispensary (later called the Royal Victoria Hospital) was just round the corner in West Street. I can't find Algernon Taylor listed as a surgeon at any of the hospitals in that directory.

It appears that he is actually John Richard Algernon TAYLOR, living in Shelton, Stoke-on-Trent in 1881 (he has a son Algernon born in Sheffield).

Hugh

Guest pwelch

In 1879 Dr Keeling is listed as a surgeon at the Dispensary.

Hugh

Hi Hugh

Cannot thank you enough! The family are trying to trace where Jane Molohan spent her early years in England. She ended up in Australia - the matron of a hospital there. Will pass on the info. to my cousin in Dublin who is researching the family.

Penny

Guest Poobah

White's 1879 Directory

16 Broomhall Street

TAYLOR Algernon surgeon

This is the last address listed before Devonshire Street, going from West Street southward, on the east side of Broomhall St. This part of the street exists as 'stub', not necessarily named.

This must be close to or on the site of the Wharncliffe Fireclay Works, which is dated (on a plaque) 1888.

Devonshire St is visible to the right. Broomhall St continued across what is now an open space beyond.

Hugh

The Public Hospital and Dispensary (later called the Royal Victoria Hospital) was just round the corner in West Street. I can't find Algernon Taylor listed as a surgeon at any of the hospitals in that directory.

It appears that he is actually John Richard Algernon TAYLOR, living in Shelton, Stoke-on-Trent in 1881 (he has a son Algernon born in Sheffield).

Hugh

Hi - I think that your Dr. John Richard Algernon Taylor is my great-grandfather. Beyond the White's 1879 Directory, do any of you have any more information about him or can you point me to a good source of information for this kind of thing? I'd like to see the source of your information as well, Hugh. Thank you very much!

Hugh

Don't know if this helps ... (Making no claims for this - just throwing it into the pot for discussion)

Taylor, Jno. M.R.C.S. (Eng.) & L.S.A. surgn, 118 West Street

(I'd expect Jno. to be Johnathan, however, I've seen Publicans abbreviated to Jno. who turn out to be John; the entry fills the page.)