Fanny's

Guest DaveNightingale

Guest DaveNightingale

Can anybody remember or have any photos of Fannys,the club on the edge of town at Owler Bar?

We got talking about it in the pub at the weekend and were trying to remember what it was like..

Anybody want to start the ball rolling?

Guest SapperTaylor

Can anybody remember or have any photos of Fannys,the club on the edge of town at Owler Bar?

We got talking about it in the pub at the weekend and were trying to remember what it was like..

Haven't got a clue Dave. It was usually dark outside and even darker in Fanny's plus by the time I got there I didn't even know my own name never mind clocking the decor. :blink: I reckon I knew you at the time? Your name rings a bell! My brother Andy (Drew) Paul Salisbury (RIP), Al Jowet, Vicky Parsons, Adrian (Ady). Other clubs - Tramps, Genevive, Baileys, Josephines, Crazy Daisy. There was another club, no idea of it's name now in a residential area of Netheredge ...Any of this ring any bells???

Cheers

Chris

Guest Noise Heat Power

There was another club, no idea of it's name now in a residential area of Netheredge ...Any of this ring any bells???

There was a club down towards the bottom of Nether Edge Road - near the Byron pub - called Turn Ups.

Is that the one? It closed in the late seventies I think and the site was redeveloped as flats.

I remember it well. Can you remember when an episode of Tiswas was shot there in the early 80s?

I remember it well. Can you remember when an episode of Tiswas was shot there in the early 80s?

As a coach driver in the 80`s I have very fond memories of that aptly named venue.

Went once, maybe twice in the late '80s with my girlfriend of the day, sister & boyfriend and my parents.

My Dad was up on the dance floor jiving with some girl to Time Warp. Crazy alcohol fueled evening.

Guest dragoncd

Hi everyone I'm new to this site and may I say loving it as it brings back so many memories of living in Sheffield. Fanny's nightclub at Owler Bar was originally called Five Ways motel and night club. I know as I worked there when it was Five Ways and then when it changed to Fanny's. I was there up until 1987. The owners also had a club in Nether Edge called Turn Ups at which I also worked and that was originally Nether Edge Hall. Not sure what year it closed down and I believe is now flats.

Guest micklee

I was the Manager at Fiveways from about April to November 1976. The owners were Les and Betty Vickers. Had some great nights, thoroughly enjoyed my time there. DJS were Stuart Burnham and Wayne Chadwick. What happened to Les and Betty.?

Does anyone remember a bar called Mr Kites next to Devonshire Green? I think it closed in the early 90's.

Someone told me that it was owned by a son or grandson of one of the notorious Moonie brothers, who were 1930s Sheffield gangsters.

Anyone else heard if this is true and where/who any current family are?

Does anyone remember a bar called Mr Kites next to Devonshire Green? I think it closed in the early 90's.

Someone told me that it was owned by a son or grandson of one of the notorious Moonie brothers, who were 1930s Sheffield gangsters.

Anyone else heard if this is true and where/who any current family are?

Well it was owned at one time by Brian Mooney - this was back in the late 70's early 80's - what relation he was to the infamous Mooney gang I don't know - I heard he passed away about 6 years ago

We used to go to Fannys quite often, I can remember seeing Phil Lynott from Thin Lizzy in there, and my mate Keith ripping his trousers open trying to climb through

the Mens toilet window to avoid paying

Loved Fannys in the early 80s! Remember fancy dress at New Years and seeing a fight break out and a Roman centurion got thrown across the dance floor! The next day I had to go back for something I had forgotten and not only did the place look bloody strange in the light of day but the centurion's helmet was sitting on the bar!!

On 07/10/2008 at 11:31, Zeb said:

So where was michelles then?..that was heading in that direction

Bit late with this but only just joined.

I guess that would be Michels Bar which was under the Beauchief Hotel. It was often a meeting place for many on the way to a night out in Derbyshire.

Cant remember if it was open during the halcyon Fiveways / Fanny’s era.

Can anyone remember getting free burger and chips included in your admission price?

Turnups at Nether Edge closed in (I would say) 1980.  The local residents got it closed down, due to the noise at chucking out time.  They opened a new Turnups on Commercial Street in town the following year, in the former British Gas showrooms and offices - it was CR*P!

I walked past Mr. Kites just a couple of months ago, for the first time in years.  I was wondering if it would still be there.  It's still a wine bar, of sorts, but it's a different name now.  We used to go in there a lot during the 80s.  I have a feeling that it was still Mr. Kites well into the 90s, but I can't be certain.

Yes, Michel's was the bar under The Beauchief Hotel.  Named after the owner, a Frenchman called Michel.  He had a big Petinque (Boules) competition in the car park every Bastille Day, or on the closest Sunday.  Teams of four.  We won it one year, maybe "86 or '87.  Think we won a medal on a ribbon and a bottle of wine.  No cash!  Another good reason for voting for Brexit.

Michels was a trendy place to meet back then and it continued as a bar under various ownerships till it finally succumbed a couple of years ago. Sadly Beauchief Hotel is now being converted into flats and the car park an upmarket housing development. When I first moved to the area in the 60s it was a bowling green.

Can anyone remember, comparatively recently, the ‘ party nights’ that were held in the bar on Friday/ Saturdays that got shut down after a short period cos of the noise and general mayhem they caused. A heady mix of cougars, ten bob millionaires and lads from the boozers on Woodseats ? 

On 20/02/2018 at 13:26, paulhib48 said:

Bit late with this but only just joined.

I guess that would be Michels Bar which was under the Beauchief Hotel. It was often a meeting place for many on the way to a night out in Derbyshire.

Cant remember if it was open during the halcyon Fiveways / Fanny’s era.

Can anyone remember getting free burger and chips included in your admission price?

God bless sheffield history......you may have to wait 10 years for a reply but you do get one!! lol

It’s the most frustrating of sites. It’s the only forum I know where someone asks a question and if you respond to it, you can wait  a lifetime for any further activity on that thread.

I’ve more or less given up on it now. 

Good job you weren’t desperate for a quick answer,  Zeb.

1 hour ago, Zeb said:

I had hair and a waistline when I asked that question paul !! hehe

Me too, mate, and I was still going in Michels !

On 13/02/2017 at 19:20, f4ndang0 said:

We used to go to Fannys quite often, I can remember seeing Phil Lynott from Thin Lizzy in there, and my mate Keith ripping his trousers open trying to climb through

the Mens toilet window to avoid paying

So I wasn't seeing things.I've wondered for years if that was Lynott.Someone said he was a look-a -like...