Sheffield Transport Rally

Guest transit

Guest transit

....just to let you know , the Sheffield Transport Rally takes place this coming Sunday 14 Sept 2008 , on the Meadowhall coach park. It features vehicles of all ages - with several old Sheffield buses - and several trade stalls selling transport models and photos ect. There is also a free shuttle bus to and from the South Yorkshire Transport Museum .All in all a great day out ,although alas no more Tinsley Towers as a backdrop!

Guest bus man

Thanks transit the first bus to the musuem will be a little earlier this year at 1130 from meadowhall coach park - the rally site - if anyone as any questions i will try to answer them - the musuem is at aldwarke

Guest gareth388

Thanks Busman.

I Think it is worth pointing out that The Tinsley Tram Sheds will be CLOSED on the day of the Meadowhall Rally. The Tram Sheds are now the home of the SYTT's vehicle collection, and it is NOTHING to do with the South Yorkshire Transport Museum at Alwarke. The SYTT's vehicle collection will be able to be seen on a future Open Day, to be announced.

Thanks Busman.

I Think it is worth pointing out that The Tinsley Tram Sheds will be CLOSED on the day of the Meadowhall Rally. The Tram Sheds are now the home of the SYTT's vehicle collection, and it is NOTHING to do with the South Yorkshire Transport Museum at Alwarke. The SYTT's vehicle collection will be able to be seen on a future Open Day, to be announced.

.....yes and just to clarify for the general public , Sheffield Bus Museum WAS at Tinsley Tram Sheds up to last year ,when they re-located to new premises at Waddington Way, Aldwarke, Rotherham and were renamed South Yorkshire Transport Museum . This group organises the Rally at Meadowhall and the shuttle bus to and from the Aldwarke museum as well as several Sunday open days throughout the year. -------Now the Tinsley Tram Sheds are to house the large collection of local buses which belong to SYTT , -the South Yorkshire Transport Trust who have leased two bays for the housing of around 70+ vehicles!!! They are currently moving in from their previous site at Kimberworth. Once they have settled in ,the group plans to have open days for people to view the vehicles in all stages of restoration. Even though they are two totally separate groups , some buses and even members mix between the two ! - but both have one aim -to keep the history of Sheffields public transport preserved for generations to see. Hope this info helps ! For further details check the following ---- www.sytm.co.uk , and ---www.sytt.com ;-)

Guest gareth388

No - I didn't make it.

I undstand that the event was very good, with around 100 vehicles attending. Any more than that and they start not to fit on the site! 100 was about what I got the last time I organised that event in 2006.

Any pictures then busman?

...just a reminder , the rally is on tommorow - Sunday 20 Sept - from around 11 till 5.

I am hoping to go , so will post some pics as soon as i can. Enjoy !!!

271 is booked in so it's coming home - I will leave it to transit to explain what is

....WOW !! -great news ! - just a quick description , 271 - OWE 271K , is a Bristol VR111 with East Lancs bodywork , and through its time here in Sheff during the 70's , became the one of the two "Silver Jubillee" buses in '77(along with Fleetline 223) ,being given the silver livery and sponsered by Debenhams and Radio Hallam. It was given a light blue band (as requested by Debenhams) instead of the "regal" purple (as 223) , and was in the Lord Mayors parade of '77.

Although it has been in preservation for quite some time , back in Sheff Transport livery, it will be its first visit to Sheff for many years , and i look forward to seeing it once again!

....heres the pics of 271 finally back in Sheffield at the Meadowhall rally today......

Beautiful (well, as beautiful as anything with that particular style of bodywork can be). Must get down to Sheffield for the rally some time. Thanks for posting the pictures, Transit: brings back some memories of long ago, although I don't remember them looking quite as shiny and clean as that!

.........................., although I don't remember them looking quite as shiny and clean as that!

They did look as good as that even when 271 was repainted into STD livery repaints tended to go back to depots on a friday night/saturday morning so it was always worth looking inthe end bay of central works or the back yard to see what was done . This was of course in STD days long before rutland road paintshop appeared on the scene

....heres the pics of 271 finally back in Sheffield at the Meadowhall rally today......

Sorry to drag this old thread back up but it saves me starting a new one, just thought this would be of interest, here is 271 with Hastings I beleive?

and another couple of great shots courtesy of transit one of which shows 271 in Hastings 80th anniversary livery

Guest bus man

Just a reminder the Sheffield Transport Rally will be held on the 19th September at Meadowhall Coach Park. The site is open from 9am

Just a reminder the Sheffield Transport Rally will be held on the 19th September at Meadowhall Coach Park. The site is open from 9am

Added to the Calendar