Samuel Hilton-Carbrook

POPPYCHRISTINA

An old bottle that I had forgotten about , found in my cellar.I live in an old Victorian house which had a well in the cellar and a DOUBLE midden at the bottom of our garden.

An old bottle that I had forgotten about , found in my cellar.I live in an old Victorian house which had a well in the cellar and a DOUBLE midden at the bottom of our garden.

This seems a good definition

"==Botanical brewing==

Basically, botanical brewing is grinding, steaming and fermenting various roots - in this case the roots used are ginger, dandelion and burdock. The other ingredients used in botanical brewing are herbs, natural flavouring, sugar, brewer's yeast and water. The process is effective as it allows the natural flavours of the plants to infuse into the liquid, thus eliminating the need for artificial flavourings. The process is fairly long, 10 days in fact, and the by-products of the fermentation - ie the sediment - is left in, adding to the flavour and creating a cloudy drink when shaken."

This seems a good definition

"==Botanical brewing==

Basically, botanical brewing is grinding, steaming and fermenting various roots - in this case the roots used are ginger, dandelion and burdock. The other ingredients used in botanical brewing are herbs, natural flavouring, sugar, brewer's yeast and water. The process is effective as it allows the natural flavours of the plants to infuse into the liquid, thus eliminating the need for artificial flavourings. The process is fairly long, 10 days in fact, and the by-products of the fermentation - ie the sediment - is left in, adding to the flavour and creating a cloudy drink when shaken."

Thanks,Dunsbyowl. I might give that a try. When we were young we had lots of ginger beer plants which sounds a similar process.

Guest Carbrooksam

This stoneware bottle would most likely have contained vinegar and by its appearance does not have the usual " ANYONE FOUND DETAINING THIS BOTTLE IS LIABLE TO BE PROSECUTED " imprinted around the rim. Since non-return of this item would have resulted in loss of deposit, I am prepared in this instance only, to offer 4d refund on my Greatgrandfather's property. Should you wish to take up this most generous offer or contact me on any other matter concerning this Sheffield Botanical Brewery, then please feel free to do so.

Guest OLD No.12

hi, is the handle on the otherside of the flagon because sometimes they get broken. if you are considering selling it one day as i would be very interested for my collection.

hi, is the handle on the otherside of the flagon because sometimes they get broken. if you are considering selling it one day as i would be very interested for my collection.

The bottle is perfect but without a stopper.

I also have a Watt and Ferguson Bottle,Montrose Works, Rotherham dated 1913.This has got a stopper but the handle is broke.

On the bottle is printed"This bottle is the property of Watt & Ferguson.Anyone detaining it is liable to be Prosecute".

I am hiding under the bed waiting for The Bow Street Runners to come calling.