Arley Street

Guest Gillb

Hi there, Im new here so hi everyone.

I am trying to track down my ggggg father who lived on Arley Street, at least in 1886 as we have a newspaper cutting - name is Hague but we dont know the first name - possibly George - or his wife's name. I looked in the electoral registers yesterday at the library but couldnt find Arley St. As Ive not searched them before I could have done something wrong but I thought i had done it ok!

Anyone help? I think this is Ecclesall district but did check the others too - but as I say I might not have done it properly! If anyone can tell me how to find Arley St in 1886 ish then I would be very grateful as this person is a brick wall!

thanks

Gill

Arley Street -- from Hermitage Street through to John Street parallel to Bramall Lane

See map number 23 posted by Steve B for details in 1953. Including house numbers.

Hi all

Thanks so much for your posts, all of which is useful thanks a lot, but I obviously didnt make myself very clear - my problem is that I cant find Arley st on the electerol register - anyone have any ideas what Ive done wrong? I trawled through the indexes for Ecclesall, Park etc and couldnt find it in any of the indexes so I checked the registers and couldnt find it there either!

anyone help?

Thanks - Ive only just found this site but been doing my tree for a while and this looks a really useful one, so Im glad I found you all!

Gill

Hi Richard

I haven't got a copy if the cutting - just a note of the caption from a relative in the US, but if/when I track it down I will share it with you! I think it was sent to the US branch and saved but without knowing which newspaper its going to be a long search in the LS library!

Gill

Comparing a 1879 directory with a later one I think Arley Street was formerly Cross George Street (there may have been more than one of these at one point).

I cannot find Arley Street in the 1891 census but Cross George Street is listed. So does the newspaper article definitely link Arley Street to a date of 1886? Could the date be wrong?

Hugh

Hi Hugh (and everyone else who replied)

Thanks very much for this - I couldnt fiure out what i was doing wrong - as Im new to the electoral registers, so its reassuring to know its not there! I will have a look at Cross George St and the directories.

I havent actually seen the cutting as its in US, so just have been posted a transcript of the caption - so it may indeed be wrong, although the person who has it has done a lot of research on his FG so I presumed it would be accurate - but as with most in FH research I guess i should have questioned it more!

Anyway. this gives me another lead to this brick wall - so thanks very much for your help with this - I will be back, its a great site!

Gill

hi all, just an update for anyone interested! Cross George Street (in the Bramall Rd area) was renamed Arley Street in 1890, with no reason being listed as to the reason for the name change. (the date Ive been given for the newspaper cutting, can't therefore be correct!)

Gill

My family lived at 3 ct 2 Arley Street from 1901.

In 1890 the name of the street was changed from Cross George Street to Arley Street.

In the Local History Library in the Sheffield Central Libray they have a very detailed map of the streets, houses, pubs, works and court yards.

They will do you copies of the area of this large map that you are interested in.

The map is very interesting as it shows you how the courts were positioned between the streets and the numbering of the houses.

It also shows you how works were set in the midst of the dwellings and the all importants pubs.

Hope this helps you

Happy days! PopT

My family lived at 3 ct 2 Arley Street from 1901.

In 1890 the name of the street was changed from Cross George Street to Arley Street.

In the Local History Library in the Sheffield Central Libray they have a very detailed map of the streets, houses, pubs, works and court yards.

They will do you copies of the area of this large map that you are interested in.

The map is very interesting as it shows you how the courts were positioned between the streets and the numbering of the houses.

hello PopT - that's helpful thanks very much. Ive actually found the cutting and it was from 1909!

Your family were obviously neighbours of mine as they lived at no 5 and I think probably 9 as well!

I will ask about the maps the next time I am the the LHL.

cheers,

Gill