Guidelines and forum etiquette

Sheffield History

Etiquette

It's free speech, so I can post whatever I like here, right?

Ahahahaha! Hahaha! Free speech! No, it's not. I run this web site, see, so you have to play by my rules.

What can I post?

You can discuss and argue about almost anything, so long as it's vaguely relevant to the forum you post in and doesn't fall into any of the categories below. You don't have to be politically correct, but you must maintain a minimum standard of behavior.

What can't I post?

Any content that is:

* obscene

* illegal

* threatening

* malicious

* defamatory

* spam

This applies to your username and other customizable fields, any messages you write, images you post, or any other content you upload or link to Sheffield History. If you do, your account will be deleted. See the site's Terms & Conditions for details.

Also prohibited is the practice of "griefing." Griefing is posting with the primary aim of annoying or upsetting other people. If you do this, the moderators may take action against you.

Does that apply to my avatar?

You betcha. In fact, we're much stricter on avatars than we are on forum posts, because they're not open for challenge and debate. If you want to make a point, don't use your avatar -- use the forum, where other people have a right of reply.

I got into an argument with this idiot in the forums, and I got deleted and he didn't! How come you allow pro-Catholic argument, but when someone tries to tell the TRUE story of the coming of Christ--

Okay, let me stop you there. It might look as if you are being persecuted for your political views, but what most likely happened is you made a personal attack and your opponent didn't. No matter what the subject matter, if you don't conduct yourself in accordance with the rules of etiquette, you will get into trouble with the moderators. The best way to get your points across in the forums is to remain calm and respect other people's right to disagree with you.

Another user posted something offensive!

People get offended at different things, so first make sure it falls into one of the above categories. If it does, please report it to the moderators using the "REPORT" button.

Because our moderators are users who have volunteered to help out of the goodness of their hearts, please deal with lesser disputes without involving them.

Can use a second username?

No. This is fraudulent behavior and breaches the site's terms & conditions. The same applies to any attempt to impersonate anyone else, including attempting to hack accounts or passwords.

What happens if I post something in the wrong section ?

he he !! Please don't worry, as our administrators will spot it and move to the right one. Sometimes it's a good idea to Private Message and request it - especially if you need it to be moved quickly for whatever reason.

Etiquette

It's free speech, so I can post whatever I like here, right?

Ahahahaha! Hahaha! Free speech! No, it's not. I run this web site, see, so you have to play by my rules.

What can I post?

You can discuss and argue about almost anything, so long as it's vaguely relevant to the forum you post in and doesn't fall into any of the categories below. You don't have to be politically correct, but you must maintain a minimum standard of behavior.

What can't I post?

Any content that is:

* obscene

* illegal

* threatening

* malicious

* defamatory

* spam

This applies to your username and other customizable fields, any messages you write, images you post, or any other content you upload or link to Sheffield History. If you do, your account will be deleted. See the site's Terms & Conditions for details.

Also prohibited is the practice of "griefing." Griefing is posting with the primary aim of annoying or upsetting other people. If you do this, the moderators may take action against you.

Does that apply to my avatar?

You betcha. In fact, we're much stricter on avatars than we are on forum posts, because they're not open for challenge and debate. If you want to make a point, don't use your avatar -- use the forum, where other people have a right of reply.

I got into an argument with this idiot in the forums, and I got deleted and he didn't! How come you allow pro-Catholic argument, but when someone tries to tell the TRUE story of the coming of Christ--

Okay, let me stop you there. It might look as if you are being persecuted for your political views, but what most likely happened is you made a personal attack and your opponent didn't. No matter what the subject matter, if you don't conduct yourself in accordance with the rules of etiquette, you will get into trouble with the moderators. The best way to get your points across in the forums is to remain calm and respect other people's right to disagree with you.

Another user posted something offensive!

People get offended at different things, so first make sure it falls into one of the above categories. If it does, please report it to the moderators using the "REPORT" button.

Because our moderators are users who have volunteered to help out of the goodness of their hearts, please deal with lesser disputes without involving them.

Can use a second username?

No. This is fraudulent behavior and breaches the site's terms & conditions. The same applies to any attempt to impersonate anyone else, including attempting to hack accounts or passwords.

What happens if I post something in the wrong section ?

he he !! Please don't worry, as our administrators will spot it and move to the right one. Sometimes it's a good idea to Private Message and request it - especially if you need it to be moved quickly for whatever reason.

Bringing this back to the top.