Sheffield Tigers speedway

Guest Desy

Guest Tigershark

Sheffield have qualified for the play offs to decide the Premier League title. First leg is against Kings Lynn at Owlerton on 4/10/07

What great memories especially the 1972 pic I rode Cycle Speedway for the Sheffield Stars and Sradbroke Arrows, I also rode with Phil White.

I emigrated to the USA in 83 and started the first Cycle Speedway Track in the USA www.cyclespeedwayusa.com. Not much Speedway over here and what we have are really small tracks we used to have The World Championships on TV but that stopped a couple of Years ago. in 2004 we had the first ever Great Britain vs USA Youth Cycle Speedway match here (pic attached) the kid in the picture is actually Scottish his parents emigrated here 10 years ago

David Cooke

A Brit in the USA

Here is one of Bengdt and the other is me on gate 2 at the old Wordsworth Ave track that has just been rebuilt into a first class Cycle Speedway Track. Cycle Speedway is alive and well at the Graves Park track.

David Cooke

Here is one of Bengdt and the other is me on gate 2 at the old Wordsworth Ave track that has just been rebuilt into a first class Cycle Speedway Track. Cycle Speedway is alive and well at the Graves Park track.

David Cooke

This is me on the inside riding in an exhibition at Myers Grove school. It was a long time (in school years) after your days mate, it must have been about 1972 ish. Sadly Stradbroke folded and so did the Ecco Jokers but we replaced them as Ecclesfield Kings. I loved the Stradbroke track, the quirky 3rd 4th bend was a real make or breaker.

I've been racking my brains and only come up with Dennis Naylor and thats all. Did he go to Australia or something? And did his brother race?

Flippin' Gamble's still racing as well and still he's posting cycle speedway results under "a spokesman said"....top stuff

Guest tomo170

Has been around for quite a few years and I think the season before last had been going for 100 years.

Have you got any memories of the riders you watched, liked, hated.

I started watching the tigers in the mid 70's when arnie haley, "flyer" dougie wyer and reg wilson were riding for them, watching from the bends with my mates from school. I alwys remember that I got everybodies autograph except for arnie haleys (shame I dont still have the autograph book) I even had a signed pic of Carl glover which really cheered my big sis up. started going again early 90's but after a few years and a couple of kids money became an issue so had to put it on the back burner again.

I knew Phil Hattersley until around 5 years ago, he lived in the Thurgoland area. Built a triumph engined bike as well.

Would love to see Phil again. he used to come in my paper shop . Did he get that Tiger 100 built up?

Have tried to send pm but cant [dont know how] Would love to go for a pint with him. Does he still call in Highgreen Club ?

Please pm me

During the 1980's I had the good fortune to meet a certain W.E.Platts, formerly known as Billy or 'Gus' Platts. He was one of the original 'dirt track' riders in Sheffield. He raced Douglas and BSA machines. We must be talking 1920's/30's here. A contact I had in the Vintage Club traced the BSA raced by Mr.Platts and obtained a photograph of it, all nicely rebuilt and looking as good as new. He recalled his days of racing 'leg trailing' style. He told me of his collection of photos, old programs and 'dirt track' memorabelia, all sadly destroyed by fire during Sheffield Blitz. He had stored his collection in a cupboard where he worked at Vickers works and it was hit by a bomb. Lost for ever.

I reckon I was fortunate to see the late ,great, Peter Craven the then World Champion at Owlerton. His team, Belle Vue were in the league above Sheffield so the Tigers only had 'freindlys' with them. Peter Craven was so fast he had a 25 yard handicap imposed on him at the start. The Sheffield team had riders like Clive Featherby, Jack Kitchen, Guy Allott, Jack Winstanley and Tony Robinson. I reckon Peter Craven was the best I ever saw, he was killed shortly after in an accident at Edinburgh? Tragic loss to the sport. I saw Ove Fundin, Barry Briggs et al.

Seems just like yesterday.

Guest codeyes

Also saw Peter Craven at Owlerton, Nimrod..................and a lot of the greats through the earlier years...........

Barry Briggs

Ove Fundin

Ole Olsen

Nigel and Eric Boocock

Eric Boothroyd

Ivan Mauger etc etc

There were some good Russians around in those days as well......Kurilenko and Kadirov to name a couple

Used to go when we were in the Provincial League along with

Halifax

Cradley Heath

Glasgow

etc etc

Belle Vue were then in the National League

Guest Life on Mars 73

Anyone remember a good friend of mine, Phil Hattersley, would be in the 40's 50's, this would make his day??

The next time my dad ( Phil ) comes to visit me il log him in if you like. Dad was in the 2nd team in the 50s & very early 60s - only one first team race and I think he only got a point. He was better when practicing on the Belle Vue track...Or thats what he tells me..

Guest Life on Mars 73

I knew Phil Hattersley until around 5 years ago, he lived in the Thurgoland area. Built a triumph engined bike as well.

Would love to see Phil again. he used to come in my paper shop . Did he get that Tiger 100 built up?

Have tried to send pm but cant [dont know how] Would love to go for a pint with him. Does he still call in Highgreen Club ?

Please pm me

Phil is my dad and he's still going strong, coming up to a grand 76 years of age.

I moved up near the Whitby area but dad still lives in Thurgoland - or Bridge Inn public house seems more fitting.

No he didnt get the Tiger built, sadly hes sold on his old bikes etc..

I can pass on his mobile number if required or it might be easier to call in at the Bridge Inn pub in Thurgoland, he will be there. As you enter the main door, turn right and he wil be sat facing you, with a pint of best bitter..

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2007 at 23:00, Desy said:

Jack winstanley

Tommy Roper

Clive featherby

Arnie Haley

Jack Kitchen

ronnie rolfe

Derrol Mebin

Reg wilson

Doug wyer

Shawn Moran

Kelly Moran

Lars gunstaed

Steve Johnson

Derrol Keats

Robbie Kessler

Simon stead

Carl stnoehewer

Andre Compton

Jamie Birkinshaw

Steve cope

jim airey

sam ermalenko

KYLE LEGAULT one of the best up and comers that sheffield have let go this season

Charlie Monk

Alan Moggeridge

And one of the best none Sheffield riders ever to never ride(well not that often James Grieves)

God Desy how could you miss out Tony Robinson from that little list ?

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2007 at 13:36, zep said:

Phil White a pilot...cooo. I used to ride cycle speedway with Phil.

Jim Airey was my hero at that time then it was Bob Valentine then Reidar Eide. I remember Reidar Eide winning the Golden Helmet from Ivan Mauger at Belle Vue Manchester and Arnie Haley getting 3rd in the British League Riders Championships also at BV. Arnie liked a drink and always popped into the Norfolk Arms at Grenoside for a pint before he travelled back home to Leeds. I heard he died from injuries after falling off a ladder at his home.

There were about 20 of us, all lads from Grenoside, Ecclesfield, Foxhill areas, we went to watch Boocock at Halifax or Mauger at Belle Vue on Saturdays, we went to football and stockcars together, we formed a cycle speedway club, and went all over the UK riding cycle speedway and watching speedway and football, then met birds and booze and that was it....finis

I only retained my interest in stockcars.

Willie Harrison in his Gold Top at Bellvue a sight to behold !