Norfolk Heritage Park Show

knightstemplar

Spent a very enjoyable six hours at the Fayre today,

met loads of people and had a interesting conversation with a very nice lady on the Norfolk Park History stall.

I mentioned this site to her but sadly she did not own a computer, poor lass "she doesn't know what she's missing"

Take a look at the barbed wire R/H side photo two, looks very realistic, I had to touch it to find out that 'It was made of rubber'.

Glad you enjoyed it SteveHB, I really enjoyed the American Civil war bit, I could hear the cannons today in my living room and I live miles away. Would recommend it to anyone who has ever played soldiers as a child.

Oh forgot to mention the Knight Templar bit, fighting with broadswords and shields, right up my street. lol Stayed there most of the day. (Sunday)

Im sure you have a few more pictures Steve, those already posted are great. More.

Sue

Spent an enjoyable few hours at the 2009 Sheffield Fayre yeserday morning and met up with forum member jimbob55,

I had a bad photo day .. :(

but I'm sure Jim will contribute with some of his better shots

"Can't wait to see the one of the 'flying dog' if it comes out" .. lol

Didn't manage to get to the 2009 show, and I also missed last years 2008 show but I have been to all the previous shows as far back as 2001 when it just did English Civil War (the Sealed Knot Society).

I have pictures of the shows from 2003 to 2007 inclusive and even bits of film from the 2006 and 2007 shows.

I also have pictures from the 1980's when the English Civil war society did the same thing in Norfolk Park (as it was then) before it became a Heritage Show covering all wars and all eras.

Will post a few samples of pictures from past, (historic) shows if people are interested but to be honest the pictures look very similar from one year to the next.

Will post a few samples of pictures from past, (historic) shows if people are interested but to be honest the pictures look very similar from one year to the next.

The 2004 show was a little different as they had the arena for the displays up on top of the hill that year instead of down at the bottom near the Granville Road entrance.

I don't know why they did this as the lower arena is flanked by steep grassy banks which give a better view of the proceedings. At the top of the hill unless you are stood at the front the view is restricted.

One advantage of the higher position of the arena is that it looks out over the city and I managed to get some pictures which show historical heritage against a background of 21st century Sheffield, quite a contrast!

Here we have some 17th century English Civil war battles, framed by the modern City.

In this next picture note the Exeter Road tower block in the background. 10 years previously this style of tower block would have been very prevelant and visible from any part of Norfolk Park on the surrounding estate.

Today they are all gone and this is the only survivor.

Then after the battles and displays are the march past of all the participants, - again with our city in the background.

As for participants, suprising how many rough, agressive, violent war re-enacting soldiers appear to be female :o

A case of "the female of the species is more deadly than the male" lol

Didn't manage to get to the 2009 show, and I also missed last years 2008 show but I have been to all the previous shows as far back as 2001 when it just did English Civil War (the Sealed Knot Society).

I have pictures of the shows from 2003 to 2007 inclusive and even bits of film from the 2006 and 2007 shows.

I also have pictures from the 1980's when the English Civil war society did the same thing in Norfolk Park (as it was then) before it became a Heritage Show covering all wars and all eras.

A video of the 2009 Norfolk Heritage Park show, made by "The Production Wheel" and found on YouTube