Index to Maps

RichardB

Initially just an 'orrible scabby document, now, something useful.

Many Thanks to Stuart for his hard work in making sense of the random maps thrown his way.

There is a great deal more of this document; it is however in tatters; this scan is the best bit. I can do a higher resolution of this bit - the Sheffield bit - as high as you like - let me know.

I would describe the document as " a disaster" at best, some fragments are less than one inch square and heading towards dust.

Volunteers ?

I don't think this document can be saved, it is "dead". However, would anyone be interested in putting together an index to "our" maps, Maps 5, 92,3 and 292 might form a perfect square. I did say they were coming at you in a random order.

Any assistance would be great.

5|92

3|292

That kinda posting would be very fine, just showing which Maps create a block of 4.

I know we haven't hit 292 yet, but, we will ! I'm the bottleneck but I'm trying my best.

Volunteers ?

I don't think this document can be saved, it is "dead". However, would anyone be interested in putting together an index to "our" maps, Maps 5, 92,3 and 292 might form a perfect square. I did say they were coming at you in a random order.

5|92

3|292

That kinda posting would be very fine, just showing which Maps create a block of 4.

I know we haven't hit 292 yet, but, we will ! I'm the bottleneck but I'm trying my best.

It goes something like lik this .. SK3586NE then SK3586NW, SK3586SE, SK3586SW completes that block.

;-)

Volunteers ?

5|92

3|292

1st stab (maps 1 - 50) at a basic index that shows the relationship between different sheets/maps, comments please Richard/Steve

Not sure what type of file attachments can be uploaded, original to this is Excel

Could also include a full list be Maps by number or location

Stuart

Maps_Index.pdf

I'm dumbstruck ! Nothing in what is left of my mind could work that out ! I just sit with lots of maps, posting duplicates ....

Excellent stuff.

Lost me a bit on that one Stuart, but then again I was never any good at Naughts & Crosses's .. lol

I tried to show 2 things on the grid, yes I know not very clear:

1. How our map numbers fit together as per Richard's earlier post

ie which 4 maps make up a square, by adding them together into we can see how the squares fit together as per the orginal index sheet.

2. The numbers across the top and down the side follow the layout of the original SK numbers on the index

They increase left to right eg 3396 3496 3596 3696 etc.

They decrease top to bottom eg 3396 3395 3394 3393 etc

Using the grid Map 37 as an example

Go up to 34xx

Go left to xx94

Therefore Map 37 is 3494

Does that make sense?

Despite working for Ordnance Survey for over a year in the early 00s, not really. To be honest I can't believe what you've all taken on. A labour of love or what? Am trying to complete my own listings of the Cinemas and Theatres at the moment which is taking a fair bit of time. Maybe when that's completed?

Despite working for Ordnance Survey for over a year in the early 00s, not really. To be honest I can't believe what you've all taken on. A labour of love or what? Am trying to complete my own listings of the Cinemas and Theatres at the moment which is taking a fair bit of time. Maybe when that's completed?

"To be honest I can't believe what you've all taken on."

We like a challenge; next time I say "I've got an idea" somebody shoot me.

But I said we'd do the Pubs justice; took over a year and is ongoing. I said we'd gets the Maps posted and we're working away to the best of our ability. Once all the hard work is done, I suppose it's time to actually look at the maps and get lots of cross-referencing done, linking older postings about buildings, events, people etc etc to the Maps. The "Kelvin" question posted recently being a great example.

But mainly, My next big idea - put me down !

Volunteers ?

5|92

3|292

Here are the 1st 100 Maps in alphabetical order of area and as a grid

Nice work Stuart, I like the alphabetical order list, that's going to come in very useful.

Think i'm just getting the hang of the SK numbers and grids.

Steve

Nice work Stuart, I like the alphabetical order list, that's going to come in very useful.

Think i'm just getting the hang of the SK numbers and grids.

Steve

The layout follows Richards index document and shows our map numbers

I can scan the rest of this document, if that helps - the rest is even more tatty and may not survive the folding/scanning process - but, if it helps... I think it's destined for the bin to be honest, to scan it might prolong its useful-life.

I can scan the rest of this document, if that helps - the rest is even more tatty and may not survive the folding/scanning process - but, if it helps... I think it's destined for the bin to be honest, to scan it might prolong its useful-life.

Even poor quality is better than non, the presnt document is very useful. Nothing to loose really

Stuart,

I have been making my own little grid covering Walkley and I can't quite 'square' it with that part of your master grid.

You have...

a group of 4 with maps 187,188 and 189 (189 covers two squares including the one above it)

next to

a group of 4 with 29,30,31

Relatively speaking I think the first group should be 1 (4 square) step to the left and one down.

Map 88 which you have some way to the south should be immediately to the east of 187.

I hope that makes sense :)

Hugh

Possibly visually is better:

edit ignore 88 on this plan - it is a duplicate of 234 in the wrong place

2nd edit This grid is even more wrong than I thought, please ignore

Hugh

Stuarts was confusing enough to me,

Now HughW has just made it even more confusing ... :blink:

Oh 'How I wish .. 'I had gone to school'

instead of 'Wagging It' to go Splodging. lol

When the Maps are done, I'll scan the Index document fully, then we can all fall out on a big scale !

I don't understand the numbering system much - it has to be said, I've just scanned 'em.

Hopefully someone can work out what it all means, I never claimed that person was me.

Stuart,

I have been making my own little grid covering Walkley and I can't quite 'square' it with that part of your master grid.

You have...

a group of 4 with maps 187,188 and 189 (189 covers two squares including the one above it)

next to

a group of 4 with 29,30,31

Relatively speaking I think the first group should be 1 (4 square) step to the left and one down.

Map 88 which you have some way to the south should be immediately to the east of 187.

I hope that makes sense :)

Hugh

Hi Hugh

Makes perfect sense to me

I recorded Map 88 as SK3381NW should have been SK3387NW that will move it up the grid

187 3288SE

188 3288 NE

189 3288 NW/SW

Yes these should be 1 group to the left

This will put 88 SE of 187, the same sq as 234 on your grid, looks like 88 is part of 234.

For a small area yes your version looks better, however mine was done as a result of Richard just wanting a grid to compare which map was next to which map.

Regards

Stuart