Vision - Lucifers Friend

Guest grandad

Guest rothertone

Vision (13)

Gary Gillott, Andy Beaumont, Russell Bonnell, Paul Statham, Pete Jackson

Vision - 1980s band from rotherham/sheffield, their lifespan stretched 7 years from 1981-1988.

First started out as spiral vision in 1981 and with 3 main different line ups and personnel, all hinged around Andy Beaumont (keyboardist). Vision were on MVM/PRT RECORDS.

Spiral Vision released an EP in 1982 (Dance Macabre) , later changing to Vision and releasing their biggest dance anthem Lucifers Friend. The band released singles on 12inch and 7inch formats and due to problems never managed to release the album Insight on MVM Records

Russell Bonnell - vocalist of the band Vision unfortunately passed away in 2000.

'Take it to the Limit' is an upcoming book by Neil Anderson about (you guessed it) the Limit club on West Street Sheffield. Its due out this October and by the sounds of it sounds very very promising with loads of previously unseen photos of some of the many bands that played there...I am sure there will be osmething in there about Vision...Can't wait to buy this one...theres also a lot of Limit club memories (including a full chapter of its own and some more other stuff here and there in the book 'Our Generation' I have wrote...there are photos of Wire, Selector, Secret Affair and others playing there and some hilarious stories...There is alos osme excluisve VISION photos and words from founder member Ivor Hillman (when they were called Spiral Vision) about their career etc...you can buy Our Generation from Waterstones, WH Smith, Rare and Racy in Sheffield...Doncaster...HMV (Meadowhall and Sheffield) and online from the official website at www.ourgenerationpunkandmod.co.uk 2 great Xmas presents if you want to re-live those days!

PICTURES

Guest rothertone

I still have this recording on tape and actually was there at the gig and remember having a splitting headache and it being my 14th birthday. :rolleyes:

I have those studio tracks on a tape too.

I also have several singles they released.

The ones I remember are :-

1. Lucifer's Friend B side Crazy Girl

2. Love dance B side Vision (I have a spare copy of the 12" if anyone is interested)

3. Tears Idle Tears B side New version of Lucifer's Friend (signed 12" version when seeing them perform to open a record store in Rotherham) The Record Store was called Laser Records near the bus station...there are now no record shops (or that bus station) left in Rotherham.

4. Calling of the wild

5. Who's that stranger

6. Under your thumb

I think that's it as i'm at work at the moment.

I've just found this by searching the net where you can hear some of the tracks.

http://www.pcjackson.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/secret.html

Guest rothertone

I can remember taking my (then) new girlfriend to see Spiral Vision at Rawmarsh youth club in May 1981...Richard Jobson of the Skids cousin Ivor Hillman was singer then before he left to form My Pierrot Dolls...

There are photos of Futurist fans from that night in the book 'OUR GENERATION' available online from the official Our Generation website and also the Sheffield Vision site (which laso has an exclusive FREE CD with the book)...alos at the usual shops (Waterstones, WH Smith and HMV and Rare and Racy)

My eyes burn in the darkness

Waiting outside your home

A life that's truly immortal

A lord of the unknown

I only go out in the evening

Never seeing the sun

Draining the blood from my victims

To give me the strength to go on

Vanishing just as the dawn comes

In vaults below the ground

Taking life from the humans

A circle that goes round and round

I'll never strike when expected

I'm just a shadow at night

My victims' eyes full of horror

As they feel the terror and fright

My eyes burn in the darkness

Waiting outside your home

A life that's truly immortal

A lord of the unknown

I only go out in the evening

Never seeing the sun

Draining the blood from my victims

To give me the strength to go on

I remember this song. It was in the Radio Hallam top 50 for ages. Though I didn't keep records of the records in the Hallam Countdown and it's chart positions, I did keep a kind of record of it's performance in that chart. It first appeared on the 2 October chart (1982), it then spent 20 weeks going up a down like a yo-yo :huh: I do remember it being in the top ten of Hallam's chart. Even for a local band that was very unusal for Hallam's chart to have a record in it's chart a long time which wasn't in the BBC top 40.