Heartbeat or Samantha's Nightclub

Guest Desy

Pitty Kelly's ego was better than his apptitude although he was a nice person to work with.

Did anyone see the picture in saturdays Star inside the Heartbeat 15th Sept.

Guest dragoncd

I remember Samantha's very well, it was the first club I went to. I remember we always had to leave early to catch the half one bus home, though sometimes would use the bus fare to get another drink and then walk home. Stuart, Irish and Kelly were DJ's there and I went out wih Stuart's best mate Keith. I remember seeing Love Affair and Bay City Rollers at Samanthas's! Stuart and I worked together some years later at Five Ways, Owler Bar. He was one crazy guy but an excellent DJ!!

Had some great times at the Heartbeat in the late 60's early 70's. I was watching the telly the other week and saw this guy on Come Dine With Me. Don't know what it was but I felt I knew him. Anyways he name meant nothing. Just noticed on here his name was Chris Crossley, jeez aint it a small world? :)

I used to badger him all the time to play some of the great soul records as well as some of the lesser known ones. He had a great collection.

Most of the kids in our sixth form (Abbeydale Grange) had their 18th parties either at Samantha's or at the small upstairs disco above Tiffany's. Some great nights their during 76/77 usually leaving at around 4:00am.

Music was good too, all the lads were into what is now known as Classic rock and the DJ's were very obliging. Quo, Thin Lizzy, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Lynyrd Skynyrd for the lads, Motown and chart stuff for the girls! Brilliant. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Guest volume_val

Had some great times at the Heartbeat in the late 60's early 70's. I was watching the telly the other week and saw this guy on Come Dine With Me. Don't know what it was but I felt I knew him. Anyways he name meant nothing. Just noticed on here his name was Chris Crossley, jeez aint it a small world? :)

I used to badger him all the time to play some of the great soul records as well as some of the lesser known ones. He had a great collection.

Had many great nights in the Heartbeat, even met my husband there, must have been April 15th 1971. Always great music

Had many great nights in the Heartbeat, even met my husband there, must have been April 15th 1971. Always great music

Welcome to Sheffield History Volume Val.

Glad you are enjoying the memories of Sheffield provided by this website.

It's nice to have someone on a history site who can remember an exact date (must have been April 15th 1971)

Now as that particular date fell on a thursday do I take it that this was a pay day night out.

Guest volume_val

Welcome to Sheffield History Volume Val.

Glad you are enjoying the memories of Sheffield provided by this website.

It's nice to have someone on a history site who can remember an exact date (must have been April 15th 1971)

Now as that particular date fell on a thursday do I take it that this was a pay day night out.

This was a very memorable day night out, as I recall my friends and I went to the Heartbeat at least twice a week, catching the last bus home all the way up Chesterfield Road to the Batemoor Estate. I actually lived on the Jordanthorpe Estate and my husband to be lived on Lowedges.

Always remember the catering manager at sam's when there was apotato shortage he use to have the prtions of frozen Chips weighed out and take the differance home with him.

Also the time I was there was the general manager Roy caused a fight by trying to stop this kid acting big heard the police were coming and changed out of his dress suit went out with the punters and left the staff to be questioned by the police for an hour.

Also it was Hallowean and he and the bar staff had been rould shee=ffield all day promoting the night dressed up carrying a coffin(borrowed from the co-op. Stopped in the courtyard of the Stonehouse and was asked to drink up and move on. as they were putting the customers off coming in the pub. Later that club with a crowd in fancy dress, two were in bunny girl costumes, he was drunk and asked Melvyn from the Black Swan to shoew the crowd how to dance at a private party. He didn't do that well and told Kathy to go on (the stripper from the mucky duck) , She danced dropped her top and landed in this guys lap, he didn't know were to put his hands first. I got a roasting from the girl who's private party it was and I wasn't even in the room.

Derek Dane

Guest shullie

use to go the Sammy's and the Northern Soul All Nighter's there.. had some wonderful and interesting times there to say the least! :)

Im looking for any original northern soul memorabilia for a museum, no vinyl though.

autographs, posters, flyers, patches, ash trays!!,

from any northern soul venue including samanthas

Guest ExHeartbeatregular

I remember the Heartbeat very well. Went there in 1969/70. Saw the world cup there on colour TV in 1970 in a separate room from the disco area. Saw a photo taken in the Heartbeat late Jan 1970 in the Star's Retro in Jan last year. Got a shock when I saw me in it - it was taken from the stage.

Guest davehew

hi started working there as glass collecter started going out with managers daughter one night asked as im big lad how do you fancy working on doors tonight as we are one doorman sort so said yes been on doors ever sinse all round sheffield and rotherham

Worked at The Heartbeat 68-71 dj`s were mighty atom [chris crossley], me-[ john woolley],barry campbell- wed. barry had probably the best soul/tamla collection in the city.all u.s. imports.

dance floor fillers of the time -1 contours- just a little misunderstanding.

2 elgins - heaven must have sent you.

3 willie t - walkin up a one way street.

I remember the Heartbeat, used to g there most nights after the ice rink, (speed skaters) remember you John, there was also a guy named Mick Smith, remember him? And do u remember the speedersfrom then, Big Stuart,Terry, Peanuts,Ray Davies, Pete Williamson, Kevin Foulstone and the rest of the crew?

Guest gasadgg

Today, most girls do become more aware of the latest fashion sense. For designers and brands,

best software solution provider

they can only pop out in the fashion industry and stand the time test if they keep updated with the newest expectations from customers and live up to them. But as for fashion devotees, they will make fabulous statements with their styles,

free legal help

tastes and approaches to life once being meticulous about their looks.

Guest Jacquely Middleton

used to go to samanthas niters an kgb wen was one big place downstaires clethorpes winter gardens an cliffton hall rotherham still go to soul not niters thou foond winndin wheel chesterfeild brill nite a lovley venue

Loved the Heartbeat, went late 68/summer 69. Came across a photo in Retro, the Star's supplement, one Saturday night in Jan 2010; was taken in the Heartbeat exactly 40 years before, later used in an article in the Star about music equipment. Was shocked to see myself in it - photographed it, zoomed in then took screen shot for my profile picture on Facebook. Have heard the DJ Chris, the Mighty Atom, is no longer with us. Hope not true.

20160815_135641.jpg

I remember during the world cup in 1970 in Mexico when in the Heartbeat leaving the dance floor to watch matches (played our night) on a colour TV in a side room. Very few people had colour TV in those days.