Tinsley Cooling Towers - Demolished 24th August 2008

Guest detrius

Guest detrius

Hi All

What a sad end for the Tinsley Cooling Towers. :(

Getting demolished on the 24th August at 3.15 am i believe.

I for one will miss these from playing around as a kid. To visiting them from school and the sewage works (what at treat lol).

To now knowing I'm home when i travel back up from Torquay. Always brings a lump to my throat knowing I'm back in my own land

Will anybody be there to film it

Is there going to be anything to coincide with the sad event.

Maybe they should keep them and project the Sheffield History website logo on them for all to see and join EY ??????

I will not be there unfortunately, but would love any pics or video of it.

Let me know your thoughts too.

I may do a Youtube on the towers too lol

Bets wishes An "God bless em"

Andy m

Guest planty

I'm sure local TV must be doing something.

They're such an icon for the city, did nothing come of the "lattice idea" to replace them?

Guest detrius

Hi All

Lots of intersting replies.They maybe an eyesore but they are part of the landscape now.And if they were to knock them down just to build something we dont want it would be a shame.I did here they were going to coincide it with something for charity (to soften the blow).Sure it will be lit up for saftey and to view.I too remember the lattice type tower and did see a mock up of the winning design too.Very nice but i wouldn,t want to be near it when the wind starts whistling through it all lol

Least there are some excellent pictures been taken on the net.was only up two weeks ago shooting black and white film.Wish now i had shot some pictures of my own to keep.When travelling past them on the Supertram from Meadowhall down to Attercliffe.I noticed there had been lots of holes drilled around the base.And i said that looks like it could be for dynamite....But i thought they were a landmark and would stay. :angry:

Not the prettiest i must agree but part of our heritidge in a way.So i for one sahll miss them.And if i was back in Sheffield would be there to watch.

Andy M

Hi All

Lots of intersting replies.They maybe an eyesore but they are part of the landscape now.And if they were to knock them down just to build something we dont want it would be a shame.I did here they were going to coincide it with something for charity (to soften the blow).Sure it will be lit up for saftey and to view.I too remember the lattice type tower and did see a mock up of the winning design too.Very nice but i wouldn,t want to be near it when the wind starts whistling through it all lol

Least there are some excellent pictures been taken on the net.was only up two weeks ago shooting black and white film.Wish now i had shot some pictures of my own to keep.When travelling past them on the Supertram from Meadowhall down to Attercliffe.I noticed there had been lots of holes drilled around the base.And i said that looks like it could be for dynamite....But i thought they were a landmark and would stay. :angry:

Not the prettiest i must agree but part of our heritidge in a way.So i for one sahll miss them.And if i was back in Sheffield would be there to watch.

Andy M

Went to see the towers fall.They twisted and looked as though they had fallen on the motorway. As it happened you could see down the throat of the towers.Part of one is still standing like the twin towers in NY. EON has C****d up. The motorway could be closed for weeks.

We went in to Rotherham at around 00:30 and parked just up from National Tyres over from Hollowgate. we had a decent view but it was a fair distance.

So we had a ride up in to Kimberworth and a ride along the estate which runs on to West Hill. When we first got there we found a parking spot outside a pair of semis with a large passage way between them, through which we had the perfect veiw of the doomed towers.

We were there on our own for some time but by 02:30 we were stood with around ten others. Luckily I was on call and had to go there in my work car. This meant I had a couple of sets of step ladders with me so my partner was stood on one set (she's only little) and I put the big set up for a chap who was struggeling to see over a privet.

On the road where we were stood there was a good hundred or so watching through the gaps in the houses and in the field behind the houses facing the towers there were hundreds.

Down in MH car park and on Medaowhall/Meadowbank Rds there must have been a couple of thousand people.

Then if you think how many were watching from Wincobank Hill and from other areas I think we can safely say the people of Sheffield came out and did them proud.

People were walking along with carrier bags filled with cans of lager and there was a general party mood...strangers talking to each other and having a nice night.

This all ended when we got in the cars and tried to leave...all the happy people then became motorists and started to fight for every gap in the traffic!

Have such a sore throat this morning and I'm sure its down to the amount of concrete dust I ate last night.

This is a bit of a side issue.

I've just been out to wash the car this afternoon and ended up having to do it twice because it was covered in grey dust!!

The first time I did it it was covered in grey streaks....the Towers live on in the muck on my bonnet!!!!

Guest witch74

I didn't go down to watch..but i wish i had! I poked my head out of the window from where i live near crystal peaks at 3 o clock & heard the bang! Had a tear in my eye i felt so sad & still do, it such a shame they've gone. I no they didn't look pretty at times but they were ours & a big part of sheffield!!

Guest thrills

why cant things just be left alone the pots were sheffield and sheffield was the pots gutted they gone wen ever you saw them u knew u were home r.i.p towers :(

Guest davekowl

Just cant believe that they have been knocked down . Anyone traveling up or down the M1 knew immediately they saw them where they were. A great advert for the city and something that can never be replaced. "Act in haste repent at leisure."

E.On may deliver us some suitable, memorable piece of architecture to replace the iconic towers - here's hoping.

Or cheap, tacky, ill-advised, unpopular, profiteering, bland, really ?, at 70 years old much cheaper to make safe than knock down and replace with Tat is it Boyo ? (hang on, that's Welsh !), No Thanks I'm with Mongolian Gas and Electric, rectangular, Stylish, I like that ! - re-arrange to suit.

Dont worry too much...keep in mind my Thirty Year rule.

It would seem that every now and then the people who know best (I use that phrase very loosely) at Sheffield City Council get rid of something that we have paid for...then thirty years or so later pay to have it back.

The trams went in the 1960's but by the 90's were back....and the power station that the towers served went in the 1970's and they are now building another.

I reckon that if this works out, my thirty year rule, some time in 2020 some bright young thing will propose an underpass in the middle of a road somewhere with a large hole in it to let light in.....or maybe some tower blocks near Norfolk Park or in Jordanthorpe.

Its not all daft though.

Before they spend all our money on new things they always get rid of stuff we've already bought so looking into my crystal balls (Stop laughing you at the back) I can also see that the council will rebuild Woodseats and get rid of that rediculous bus lane they spent a fortune on.

The round-about outside the Midland Station will be rebuilt for the 473rd time and they will remove that Chineese Steel wall so it can be replaced with a sculpture made of Russian Steel instead.

To get the Russian sculpture in to place they will have to knock part of the steel works at Tinsley down but such is life.

The new market area planned for the Moor will be knocked down and rebuilt on the site of the old Castle Market and the Wicker will be opened up to traffic again after they have removed Derick Dooley Way.

Thats enough ranting for now I think.

Glad I live in Rotherham!!

Guest detrius

Hi All

Some excellent views and stories of bieng there on the night.I myself got up at 2am,put my suit on and medals and stood on the roof to salute at the time of felling. lol

Dont know what i will do the next time i travel up.Could sail straight past and not know where i am.Think meadowhall should get a couple of inflatable replicas and put them on thier roof (ooh i better patent that idea quick) :wacko:

Like the 30 year comeback plan.That means in two years i can go back down chippingham st (minus the tram line) and live in my old house by the canal.YEY outside Bogss and Sink Baths again (better get a bigger bloody sink though) :blink:

God bless the towers

Andy M

Like the 30 year comeback plan.

That means in two years I can go back down Chippingham St (minus the tram line) and live in my old house by the canal. YEY. Outside Bogs and Sink Baths again (better get a bigger bloody sink though) :blink:

Andy M

Ooohhh this has legs I think.

Come on Chaps...What else could we have from thirty years ago? (The little things like Andy's Bogs and Bath's)

I'd be back in my Grans house having one of her Bacon Butties.

She always went to the Co op and bought proper bacon that had to be at least an inch or so thick and inside proper un cut bread.

Thats it Im off to the shops... back in a bit.