Duncan Gilmour wine & spirit merchants

Guest OLD No.12

Guest Gramps

That may be the date of a re-build. The Sportsman Inn on Blackburn road, Kimberworth, was one of several pubs Gilmours acquired when they took over Whitmarsh, Watson and Co. in 1906.

Guest Gramps

Found another one what was once the 'Woodseats Hotel' 743 Chesterfield Road (now The Woodseats)

I will add to our list of finds above, (see post 11) sooner than keep repeating it .

Just been reading up ^^ from where you dumped me in this thread.

I could probably knock up a fairly comprehensive list of Gilmours pubs if there is still some interest. There seems to be very little interest at all in mill dams.

Just been reading up ^^ from where you dumped me in this thread.

I could probably knock up a fairly comprehensive list of Gilmours pubs if there is still some interest. There seems to be very little interest at all in mill dams.

That's why I dumped you in here Gramps .. he he

So you could make up a new and more comprehensive list.

lol

Use any of the data from my above lists/posts and I will delete them,

you can be in charge of the new main list.

There seems to be very little interest at all in mill dams.

Mention water on here and most members seem to run away Gramps,

same thing seems to happen with the rivers and canal topics.

Start talking beer and pubs, they all come running.

Makes me wonder,

but could some bloke be brain-washing our members :blink:

he he he he

Posted this previously in the painted signs thread.

This is The Ball on Mansfield Road, clearly showing signs of being an earlier Duncan Gilmour house.

Guest Gramps

That's why I dumped you in here Gramps .. he he

So you could make up a new and more comprehensive list.

lol

Use any of the data from my above lists/posts and I will delete them,

you can be in charge of the new main list.

I'd rather not be in charge of anything thank you ;-)

Anyway the list I've compiled is much too large to be dropped here as a post to the thread so I'll leave it here as a simple text file.

Gilmour.txt

Anyway the list I've compiled is much too large to be dropped here as a post to the thread so I'll leave it here as a simple text file.

Gilmour.txt

Gramps, I was walking past The Old Blue Bell Hotel on Worksop Road(map180) yesterday when I happened to notice that the front door step had "Gilmours" imprinted in it . Was this a Duncan Gilmour house as it does not seem to be on the list?

Gilmour.txt

That's a fine piece of work, Thank you for posting it and the obvious effort you've put in. First time I've come across it, busy, busy with other things.

Thanks again.

Guest rsoutram

As a Boy I lived in the Cross Scythes Hotel, 145 Debyshire Lane, Norton Woodseats. My father was landlord there between 1949 and 1955 his father had been landlord before him between 1928 and 1949. father left when Duncan Gilmour sold out to Joshua Tetley. My Paternal Grandma was brought up as the daughter of the landlord of the Woodseats Hotel.

Roger Outram

Guest pandaapple83

That's a cracking list Gramps! The brewery bought my house on Standon Road in 1930s as well as the one next door and one on Fife Street (the house that backs onto us). I believe the corner shop (20 Fife Street) was one of their retailers. Is the Fowler Street (Manvers Arms) that you mentioned in Wincobank, as Fife Street was once Fowler Street - it refers to the name change in the deeds we have from when the Gilmours bought the 3 houses)?

What a fantastic thread this is!

My mum always told me we were related through my Great Grandmother to the Gilmour family and I've finally established a link. My Great Grandmother was Annie Blanche Toyne and her aunt was Lizzie Blanche Toyne who married Duncan Gilmour (the son). Wish we were more closely connected because they were loaded! :rolleyes:

Funny thing is I used to be a regular at the White Lion at Heeley back in the late 70's and early 80's. If only I'd known!

I have found this topic listing most interesting and thought that readers may be interested in hearing about a  piece of Sheffield football history and memorabilia that was sent to me by a lady who to this day I have never had the pleasure of meeting. Also I would be delighted to hear if there are any others in existence.

I have a half pint size beer glass which has etched on it on one side the words:  Gilmour's  Celebrated Windsor Ales And Stouts and on the reverse is etched with the words FA Cup Season 1934 / 35 complete with an etching of this world famous football trophy.  Ray Parkin Sheffield Football fan and lifelong Owls Supporter. If there is any interest I will try and get a photo taken and post it on here.