Dog tracks

gibbo47

Guest didwell

Anybody know what years Darnall and Hyde Park dog tracks closed.

john

no but i do remember my grandad taking me to watch whippit racing on the Pipworth School fields near bowden woods in the very 1981/82?

Guest didwell

no but i do remember my grandad taking me to watch whippit racing sunday mornings on the pipworth school fields near bowden woods

Guest plain talker

Hyde Park dog track was still open until approximately 1975, as it was still open, to my remembrance, when my aunt moved off Hyde Park Flats, that year.

It was certainly not there when my lad went to school at St Johns School, Park, in 1983, as we used to walk through a kiddies play-park to get to the school. The park was on the site of the dog track.

That got me wondering about as to how far back the Greyhound breed goes,

And I got a surprise.

The Greyhound is one of the oldest pure breeds in existence.

It is often depicted in Egyptian engravings and sculptures dating back five thousand years.

Originating in the Middle East, it was probably brought to Europe by Phoenician traders.

Medieval noblemen would often present the dog as a gift to their hosts.

The origin of the name is difficult to ascertain.

Some believe that it derives from gradus meaning 'rank.'

Others claim that the name can be traced to grach, the Old English word for 'dog,'

or to Grais meaning 'Grecian.'

Surprisingly, the form and function of this dog have altered little since the days of antiquity.

Anybody know what years Darnall and Hyde Park dog tracks closed.

john

Still not answering your question but here is a photo of Owlerton from January 1932 when racing started there. The facilities were claimed to be the best outside London.