A.R.P. Photographs and Information?

Guest C.F.G

Hello everyone!

I am currently researching the ARP and I am after some images I can use for an information website.

It will be a freewebs site and will not be used for any commercial gain whatsoever.

I'm a bit wary that a lot of images on the internet are covered by copyright and don't want any comeback.

Anything I am able to use would be very much appreciated.

If anyone has images based in Sheffield that of course would be even better!

Many thanks

Ali

Hello everyone!

I am currently researching the ARP and I am after some images I can use for an information website.

It will be a freewebs site and will not be used for any commercial gain whatsoever.

I'm a bit wary that a lot of images on the internet are covered by copyright and don't want any comeback.

Many thanks

Ali

Both my own grandfather and my wifes grandfather were in the Sheffield ARP during the war. Having been born in the first years of the 20th. century they were in a generation which was just too young for the First World War and just too old for the Second. however, still wanting to do their bit they joined the ARP which must have consisted largely of older volunteers who were too old or not fit enough for regular military service.

My wife's grandfather served in the Darnall / Attercliffe area and a collection of his ARP stuff and momentoes (the sort of things you are looking for) were loaned or donated to the Sheffield Blitz Museum which existed for a short time in the 1980's on the top floor of what used to be Banners department store at Attercliffe. When this museum closed around 1990 (I think the building was due to be demolished) the museum went with it, and so did grandads stuff!

So further to the original appeal, does anyone know what happened to this museum and where their nice displays went?

Hello everyone!

Many thanks

Ali

Hi Ali, welcome to the Forum. I don't know if it's any interest but there's a memorial plaque in St Gabriel's Church at Greystones to 2 members of the ARP killed in the blitz. If it's any interest I can get you a photo.

Bayleaf

Hi Ali, welcome to the Forum. I don't know if it's any interest but there's a memorial plaque in St Gabriel's Church at Greystones to 2 members of the ARP killed in the blitz. If it's any interest I can get you a photo.

Bayleaf

Hi Bayleaf, unfortunatley I've had to change my account from CFG to WLA79, could you please send me the photo? that would be fantastic thank you :)

• Like 1

Hi Bayleaf, unfortunatley I've had to change my account from CFG to WLA79, could you please send me the photo? that would be fantastic thank you :)

I'll try and get one this weekend. Watch this space!

Sorry to take so long. Here are the photos, I'm not sure if they're what you want, the men concerned were not strictly ARP I think?

Hi

Did you get anything on the ARP Ambulance Service? Just searching through now because my mother was a driver. Cant see anything so I will start a thread a nd put a pic on.

On 10/24/2008 at 19:47, DaveH said:

Both my own grandfather and my wifes grandfather were in the Sheffield ARP during the war. Having been born in the first years of the 20th. century they were in a generation which was just too young for the First World War and just too old for the Second. however, still wanting to do their bit they joined the ARP which must have consisted largely of older volunteers who were too old or not fit enough for regular military service.

My wife's grandfather served in the Darnall / Attercliffe area and a collection of his ARP stuff and momentoes (the sort of things you are looking for) were loaned or donated to the Sheffield Blitz Museum which existed for a short time in the 1980's on the top floor of what used to be Banners department store at Attercliffe. When this museum closed around 1990 (I think the building was due to be demolished) the museum went with it, and so did grandads stuff!

So further to the original appeal, does anyone know what happened to this museum and where their nice displays went?

On 10/24/2008 at 19:47, DaveH said:

I have been recently told that the Banners material was privately purchased and is now at the Aircraft Museum Doncaster. I intend to visit shortly.  Looking for ARP ambulance info.