Old theatre - Upwell Street Grimesthorpe?

dunsbyowl1867

My Granddad told me this building that now houses this car repair business on Upwell Street was some sort of theatre in a previous life - any info?

Could it have been 'The Victory - Upwell Street. - Opened October, 1921' ?

found this in one of ADMIN'S Topics .. Sheffield Cinemas

Thank you Steve. I recall there was a newsagent across the road called 'Victory Stores' which all sounds a bit like Orwell's 1984. lol My Grandad did say it was a bit of a 'flea pit'.

Whats that buildig in the back of your photo that says 'Bentley's Rotherham' ?

Steve, That is a pub called the Ball - they have recently reovated it which which makes a change these days!

Steve, That is a pub called the Ball - they have recently reovated it which which makes a change these days!

Thanks Dunsbyowl

Guest eightbelow

Behind the garage was Brook Terrace, I lived there up to 1976 when the houses were demolished. The Ball was the first pub I drank in.

Guest skeets

My Granddad told me this building that now houses this car repair business on Upwell Street was some sort of theatre in a previous life - any info?

HI DUNSBYOWL YES I REMEMBER SEEING A SHOW ,BUT ONLY ONCE, IT WAS ALMOST OPPOSITE THE VICTORY CINEMA, WHERE I OFTEN WENT ON SAT MORNS ;WHEN IT WAS 1P TO GET IN . CHEERS SKEETS. PS IT CLOSED ABOUT 1935 .

Guest skeets

Hi Dunsbyowl ,re your Grandads quote re ; a theatre , lve posted some info ,but can you tell me which side of Upwell st, comiing from Brightsideis , is this garage. skeets

Hi Dunsbyowl ,re your Grandads quote re ; a theatre , lve posted some info ,but can you tell me which side of Upwell st, comiing from Brightsideis , is this garage. skeets

Hello Skeets,

This garage is on the left hand side if you are travelling FROM Brightside towards Fir Vale/Page Hall. I is directly next to the Ball Pub.

Behind the garage was Brook Terrace, I lived there up to 1976 when the houses were demolished. The Ball was the first pub I drank in.

Bad quality photo - but was your home here?

HI DUNSBYOWL YES I REMEMBER SEEING A SHOW ,BUT ONLY ONCE, IT WAS ALMOST OPPOSITE THE VICTORY CINEMA, WHERE I OFTEN WENT ON SAT MORNS ;WHEN IT WAS 1P TO GET IN . CHEERS SKEETS. PS IT CLOSED ABOUT 1935 .

Sorry if I've caused any confusion here - I don't know if this was a cinema or a theatre! Anyway this will be of interest either way.

http://www.burngreavemessenger.org/archive...gramme.jpg,html

Guest skeets

Hello Skeets,

This garage is on the left hand side if you are travelling FROM Brightside towards Fir Vale/Page Hall. I is directly next to the Ball Pub.

Hi Dunsbyowl

ln that case the garage occupies the site of the old Reget theatre so Granddad was right.

Sorry forget to post photo!

Hi Dunsbyowl

ln that case the garage occupies the site of the old Reget theatre so Granddad was right.

Thanks Skeets - so without causing too much of a storm - where was the Victory Cinema then - was it next to the Victory newsagents?

Hi Dunsbyowl

Reading a book last night I came across reference to the theatre referred to as the "Palace of Variety" not the Regent?

It also said it was the Victory cinema which was known as a flea pit or the "Bug Hut"!

The Victory Cinema ( or "Bughut" as we all called it) was on the left hand side of Upwell Street going from Upwell Lane ( where Reform Chapel was on the corner ) towards Brightside, and was just before Chambers Lane intersected on the opposite side. I seem to recall there was a Doctors surgery close to it as well as the sweet shop.

The building shown in the earlier photo was as you say a theatre - it was on the same side of Upwell St as Reform Chapel. I can't remember the name but I am sure someone on the Sheffield Forum website Grimesthorpe thread will know. I will ask.

The Victory was great - all the kids went on Saturday mornings .

I went to Reform Chapel and Grimesthorpe School ; my grandma lived on Rothay Road.

Guest eightbelow

Dunsby

Thats not my end of the terrace, could be another part of that area that has been demolished, thanks though.

Where is the Grimesthorpe section on this site?

Trying my best, along with SteveHB to get the 1950's maps on here. It's a bit of a slog (my fault, not Steve's), but hopefully with 50 maps on here by Monday we may shed some light on this. We will continue to progress through the maps as best we can (Steve can't do his bit until I've got my lazy ^&*$ into gear).

Guest plain talker

Reading a book last night I came across reference to the theatre referred to as the "Palace of Variety" not the Regent?

It also said it was the Victory cinema which was known as a flea pit or the "Bug Hut"!

hi DunsbyOwl

Many cinemas were given the nickname of "bug-hut", including the Weston Picture house in Netherthorpe.