Waingate

mickjj

WAINGATE - SHEFFIELD CITY CENTRE

Running from Haymarket to Ladys Bridge

INFORMATION

Short section of road that was home to the original Town Hall and Law Courts. It is part of the Castlegagte Quarter which is one of the oldest parts of Sheffield. The site of the old Norman fortress and the main market area are part of the original settlement. Today there is little evidence of the original street pattern and the market survives in the form of the bustling Castle Market, with remnants of the historic castle buried beneath.

PICTURES

post-14-1172810870.jpg View down Waingate - 1900 - The bell tower and clock of the old Town Hall

post-14-1172810885.jpg View down Waingate - 1910 - The old Town Hall

post-14-1172810903.jpg View down Waingate - 1920 - Towards Lady's Bridge

post-14-1172810920.jpg View down Waingate - 1930 - Brightside and Carbrook Co-op on the right

post-14-1172810937.jpg View down Waingate - 1960 - Castle Market on the right

post-14-1172810955.jpg View down Waingate - 1990

CGSwaingate011900.jpg

CGSwaingate021910.jpg

CGSwaingate031920.jpg

CGSwaingate041930.jpg

CGSwaingate051960.jpg

CGSwaingate061990.jpg

Running from Haymarket to Ladys Bridge

INFORMATION

Short section of road that was home to the original Town Hall and Law Courts. It is part of the Castlgagte Quarter wich is one of the oldest parts of Sheffield. The site of the old Norman fortress and the main market area are part of the original settlement. Today there is little evidence of the original street pattern and the market survives in the form of the bustling Castle Market, with remnants of the historic castle buried beneath.

PICTURES

View down Waingate - 1900 - The bell tower and clock of the old Town Hall

View down Waingate - 1910 - The old Town Hall

View down Waingate - 1920 - Towards Lady's Bridge

View down Waingate - 1930 - Brightside and Carbrook Co-op on the right

View down Waingate - 1960 - Castle Market on the right

View down Waingate - 1990

1960's colour photo of Waingate

A good selection of contempory cars, an old bus and the Lady's Bridge Hotel.

Something for most people here

Link added in main pub topic for Lady's Bridge hotel

Great picture Stuart

My own 1970's collection doesn't include Waingate as such as the route I took was past the Sheaf markets (already posted), along the road between Castle Market and the Don to Lady's Bridge (2 pictures, still unposted) and up the Wicker (2 pictures, one unposted and the other the famous "3minis" picture of the Wicker arches outside Studio 5-6-7). the Ladys bridge pictures has views of the old Whitbread brewery but I will post them in a more relevant thread.

Guest transit

...great pic Stuart ! - at last i know where "Snelsons" shop was - which many buses in the 60/70's advertised ! I think the shop became more well known by the next occupants from mid 70's - Bunneys ???? ;-)

...great pic Stuart ! - at last i know where "Snelsons" shop was - which many buses in the 60/70's advertised ! I think the shop became more well known by the next occupants from mid 70's - Bunneys ???? ;-)

Old Town Hall

Link to article on Radio Sheffield site about the Old town Hall

Guest plain talker

Great picture, so much to take in, what was the OXO building in the background

I think it's Aizlewoods mills on Nursery Street

I think it's Aizlewoods mills on Nursery Street

Not to sure on that, yes it is Nursery St however it looks to close to the corner of the wicker and the Lion Hotel on the corner. Aizlewoods is further along I think

Amazing how quickly the advertising hoardings appeared on bomb damaged sites in the second world war!  Looks like a 40's picture though many damaged sites remained undeveloped into the 50's. Not many cars in the picture, petrol rationing and slow production of new vehicles in the 'Utility Years' meant second hand prices of pre-war cars were more than their original 'new' price. The Lady' Bridge Inn remains!

14 minutes ago, Voldy said:

Amazing how quickly the advertising hoardings appeared on bomb damaged sites in the second world war!  Looks like a 40's picture though many damaged sites remained undeveloped into the 50's. Not many cars in the picture, petrol rationing and slow production of new vehicles in the 'Utility Years' meant second hand prices of pre-war cars were more than their original 'new' price. The Lady' Bridge Inn remains!

How long did it take for car prices to recover and go back to normal?

It was 48/49 when Austin and Morris launched new models of family cars and petrol coupons became available, though it was around 4 shillings a gallon. The Suez crisis in 1956 put a shilling a gallon on the pump price,so I would say once the new models came through prices began to normalise.My first car in 1956 (a 1938 Austin 10) cost £110.

28 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

How long did it take for car prices to recover and go back to normal?

4F47FD1F-1997-4A22-A905-1D7E09DB2112.jpeg

: Laying of tram tracks, Waingate looking towards Lady's Bridge, Royal Hotel, right, Court House (old Town Hall), left, Exchange Brewery (Tennant Brothers) in distance

Date Period: 1900-1919
Copyright: Jill Dalton

Notes: 
Royal Hotel was originally named Reindeer Hotel. Demolished 1928.

Ref No: v00898

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;v00898&pos=17647&action=zoom&id=42281

Any info on the history of that street, when it was first mentioned and the meaning of the name Waingate..?

the Wain part,  (Gate being old Scandinavian word for Strret)