The Limit nightclub - Sheffield

Sheffield History

Guest gary.p

just found this site, reading through it brings back some great memories.

used to go up on a monday night and to some of the concerts, saw quite a few of the ones listed , but theres one missing.

The undertones, what a night, still the best concert i was ever at, they played teenage kicks about 10 times for an encore.

pretty sure it was a thursday night and that they'd just done their top of the pops debut.

another memory that stands out was the human league in 85 ish playing the limit as a rehershal for a tour. i was stood next to Lee Chapman and Gary Megson who really enjoyed themselves.

and dont you remember 'i am a fly' by wire, it was played every time i was there.

Gary Peacock

Stanley tools apprentice 77-82 and limit regular

Also:

Modern English & Wasted Youth 25.11.80

Modern English 11.5.82

Also:

Modern English & Wasted Youth 25.11.80

Modern English 11.5.82

Joy Division 5.7.79

Killing Joke 9.12.80

I have the Furs down as 19.3.80

A57

just found this site, reading through it brings back some great memories.

used to go up on a monday night and to some of the concerts, saw quite a few of the ones listed , but theres one missing.

The undertones, what a night, still the best concert i was ever at, they played teenage kicks about 10 times for an encore.

pretty sure it was a thursday night and that they'd just done their top of the pops debut.

another memory that stands out was the human league in 85 ish playing the limit as a rehershal for a tour. i was stood next to Lee Chapman and Gary Megson who really enjoyed themselves.

and dont you remember 'i am a fly' by wire, it was played every time i was there.

Gary Peacock

Stanley tools apprentice 77-82 and limit regular

Guest rothertone

Heres some info on the new Book about Sheffield's musical past and its fans experience of it. Its called 'Our Generation: the Punk and Mod children of Sheffield, Rotherham and Doncaster 1976-1985.

Contact rotherpunk@aol.com for more details and where to purchase it.

'Our Generation' is the unique and very first account of the Punk generation of Sheffield and the local region told by the author and over 150 different and varied voices of the era. From the pre - Punk days and all the way through the summer of hate of 1977 Punk and beyond, the story takes in the many classic gigs, the clothes worn and searches for Identity, the groups formed and broken, the fans, the records, the violence and laughs along with many photos, flyers, rare tickets and memorabilia of the era. The books main focal point is the Punk explosion and its effect on the local youth, but also takes in Mod revivalists, 2-tone fans, New Romantics and passing anecdotes from some of the many well known Punk groups who have played at famous local venues such as Doncaster Outlook, Sheffield Limit club, Rotherham Windmill and Sheffield Top rank. Meetings with some of the most noted Punk generation musicians such as Joe Strummer, Paul Weller and Sid Vicious are also refreshingly told by fans in their own words.

This story is about a time of euphoric excitement and life changing experiences when a proportion of our local youth cast caution to the wind and found themselves in the middle of the most explosive, controversial and influential musical revolution since pop music began...this is Sheffield's experience of that time...the story of 'Our Generation'

The book is 444 pages and full of many fantastic Rare and exclusive photographs from private collections, along with countless unique memories and experiences from those who were there at the time. Includes words from Charlie Harper (UK Subs), TV Smith (The Adverts), Jo Callis (The Rezillos), Simon Hinkler (Artery) and many more musicians, fans, Punk Rockers, Mod Revivalists, New Romantics and Post-Punk fans. No corporations involved…this is a 'Do it yourself' Punk Rock production and the very first of its kind!

Came across this at home from 1981. What better way to spend a Sunday night!

Though I never went on a Sunday evening I remember applying for the Sunday Club membership 'cos The Professionals (Steve Jones 'n Paul Cook's band of the day) were due to play but the gig was cancelled. Years later I read that there was a serious road accident involving band members while they were on tour in the US around this time so that's what probably put paid to the British tour.

Some tracks that stick out in my mind while suppin' from plastic glasses on Saturday night were Bowie's Queen *****, Iggy Pop's The Passenger, Culture Club's Do You Really Want To Hurt Me & The Clash' Rock The Casbah with my mates arms flying all over the place on the floor.

Guest studentbob

Always went on a Friday or Saturday mid to late 80's. Classic track that we all went barmy to was Vengeance by New Model Army. And anything by the Cure or the Cult always sounded better in the Limit than anywhere else. My older brother used to go early 80's and I was always jealous cos he saw loads of great bands there.

Guest rothertone

'Take it to the Limit' is an upcoming book by Neil Anderson about (you guessed it) the Limit club on West Street Sheffield. Its due out this October and by the sounds of it sounds very very promising with loads of previously unseen photos of some of the many bands that played there...Can't wait to buy this one...theres also a lot of Limit club memories (including a full chapter of its own and some more other stuff here and there in the book 'Our Generation' I have wrote...there are photos of Wire, Selector, Secret Affair and others playing there and some hilarious stories...you can buy Our Generation from Waterstones, WH Smith, Rare and Racy in Sheffield...Doncaster...HMV (Meadowhall and Sheffield) and online from the official website at www.ourgenerationpunkandmod.co.uk 2 great Xmas presents if you wnat to re-live those days!

'Take it to the Limit' is an upcoming book by Neil Anderson about (you guessed it) the Limit club on West Street Sheffield. Its due out this October and by the sounds of it sounds very very promising with loads of previously unseen photos of some of the many bands that played there...Can't wait to buy this one...theres also a lot of Limit club memories (including a full chapter of its own and some more other stuff here and there in the book 'Our Generation' I have wrote...there are photos of Wire, Selector, Secret Affair and others playing there and some hilarious stories...you can buy Our Generation from Waterstones, WH Smith, Rare and Racy in Sheffield...Doncaster...HMV (Meadowhall and Sheffield) and online from the official website at www.ourgenerationpunkandmod.co.uk 2 great Xmas presents if you wnat to re-live those days!

Looks like Neil Anderson's book is out today! 26th October 2009.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/features/No-Limit...cess.5760630.jp

Guest detox22

I thought you might be interested in the mother of all Limit club reunions that's set to celebrate the launch of my new book on The Limit ('Take It To Limit) that hit the likes of Waterstones/HMV/WHSmiths/The Star this week and is selling like mad... It sees Limit DJ Paul Unwin returning to the decks and he's all ears if you want to suggest your fave tracks. More info below - spread the word! Neil

Press release

13 year legacy set to be The Limit for Sheffield nightlife

Trying to cram the history of one of Sheffield’s most influential club and live music venues into just one night is no mean feat.

There’s probably only one man capable of doing justice to the legacy of West Street’s legendary Limit venue – the DJ that provided the sounds for 11 years from the night it opened in March 1978.

Paul Unwin has been persuaded to return to the decks for a one-off night to celebrate the launch of Neil Anderson’s ‘Take It To The Limit’ – the newly published book that chronicles the life of the venue.

Paul Unwin said: “The Limit was open 13 years and meant so many different things to different people. What opened as the city’s first true punk venue closed as Sheffield’s first home of rave and acid house.

“Most people remember it as a true one-off. It was probably the only venue you could find where every youth culture would happily party side-by-side without tearing lumps out of each other.

“Penning the life story of The Limit is no mean feat and Neil Anderson has done an amazing job and I’m looking forward to re-creating the club’s vibe for one last time.”

If anyone has a particular track they’re keen to hear at the reunion night they should email it to Paul at: reunion@takeittothelimit.info

Here are a few of DJ Paul Unwin Limit favourites from down the years to stir up a few memories:

Iggy Pop – The Passenger; B-52s – Planet Claire; Ultravox - The Man Who Dies Everyday ( Live Version ); Japan - Quiet Life; The Long Ryders - Looking For Lewis & Clark; Cabaret Voltaire - Sensoria; David Bowie - Queen *****; The Clash - Train In Vain; The Waterboys - The Whole Of The Moon; Simple Minds - Someone Somewhere In Summertime; Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi’s Dead; Sisters of Mercy – Floorshow; Killing Joke – Requiem.

The MASSIVE Limit reunion is set to take place at Wellington Street’s Casbah (the former Wapentake Bar where the majority of Limit staff came from way back in 1978) on Saturday, November 28, from 9pm until very late and its set to play host to a few famous faces.

Tickets are £15 – admission also includes a complimentary copy of ‘Take It To The Limit’.

They can be purchased from www.takeittothelimit.info or from ticket outlets including Plug/The Casbah/The Washington/Bath Hotel or over the phone on 0114 241 3040.

Guest Dave McC

I seem to remember that after a night of punk/electro whatever, the last song was often "My Baby Just cares for me" by Nina Simone, good for a last shuffle and a snog....

I seem to remember that after a night of punk/electro whatever, the last song was often "My Baby Just cares for me" by Nina Simone, good for a last shuffle and a snog....

The trouble was didn't it close at 2am and the last bus was 1.30am so can' ever remember being in there at chucking out time lol

Guest detox22

NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR LIMIT NIGHTCLUB - CLICK HERE FOR LIMIT FACEBOOK PAGE

Just to let you know The Limit returns to Sheffield on Saturday, May 1, with original DJ Paul Unwin returning to the decks once more. The MASSIVE reunion clubnight takes place at Wellington Street's Casbah from 10pm until 3am.

More information/tickets from www.takeittothelimit.info

I was never a fan of the Limit (only went there once and not being particularly into New Wave I didn't like it. However I read the thread to see if you picked up on the Pink Floyd gig.

Still don't know to this day exactly what happened, but the story goes like this.

It was in '79 I believe, and was a surprise unannounced gig as a warm up for a forthcoming tour (presumably "The Wall") and word got out a few hours before the gig. According to a couple of my mates who tried to get in there was no chance as the place was absolutely mobbed. Later the word was that three of the Floyd were there but not all of them and they used a session player to fill in. Simple truth is I don't know to this day whether or not it was the truth or just an elaborate leg pull. Does anyone else know anything?

I know these sort of events took place from time to time up and down the country because a couple of my (at the time unsuspecting) Jersey mates were in a Jersey nightclub in 1975 expecting to see a local band when the MC announced "Ladies and Gentleman we have a surprise for you, please welcome Led Zeppelin!". Their manager lived in Jersey at the time and it was a warm up for the "Physical Graffiti" tour.

Guest EmuGriff

The trouble was didn't it close at 2am and the last bus was 1.30am so can' ever remember being in there at chucking out time lol

We often used to stay 'till kicking out time and then sit in Dolcies doorway on the High St and play cards waiting for the early works buses to start ..........yes even on a sunday morning!!

We often used to stay 'till kicking out time and then sit in Dolcies doorway on the High St and play cards waiting for the early works buses to start ..........yes even on a sunday morning!!

Can just picture that on a winters morning! lol

Guest Alison Drummond

Aged 17 to 19 (am 51 now)I went to The Limit almost every Monday Friday & Saturday & I also sometimes went on Wednesdays which was Reggae night.Unfortunately due to the excess of alcohol consumed lots of memories from there have disappeared!But I know I always had a brilliant time there,I never felt threatened-just ran into the ladies if ever there was a fight-& the music was absolutely fantastic!The atmosphere was always really exiting.I went to 3 of the reunions in past couple of years at the Casbah.Apparently there's going to be a new Limit opening on Arundel Gate this month(November 2011).Can't wait-all the old music has been promised!!

Aged 17 to 19 (am 51 now)I went to The Limit almost every Monday Friday & Saturday & I also sometimes went on Wednesdays which was Reggae night.Unfortunately due to the excess of alcohol consumed lots of memories from there have disappeared!But I know I always had a brilliant time there,I never felt threatened-just ran into the ladies if ever there was a fight-& the music was absolutely fantastic!The atmosphere was always really exiting.I went to 3 of the reunions in past couple of years at the Casbah.Apparently there's going to be a new Limit opening on Arundel Gate this month(November 2011).Can't wait-all the old music has been promised!!

ps I hasten to add I NEVER went dressed as Jacko!!

Hi Alison,

Welcome to the site and thanks for sharing those memories. I used to go to the Limit quite a lot but not that much.! No Jackos but a do remember one or two dressed up in full Adam Ant "highwayman" outfits complete with white stripes on their faces. I wonder what their grandchildren would say if they could see them then? lol

I went to the Limit right from its opening – best club EVER!

Some photos I took at a joint gig there, with The Human League and ClockDVA...

Excellent photos Muff - did you take those? Not seen them anywhere before. That Martyn Ware mo always makes me laugh!

Is that ClockDVA is the 2nd photo?

Cheers again

Yep, it's the Clocks – with the late Jud Turner in the middle. By the way, sorry about the © symbols all over them, I have got some 'clean' ones but can't remember which hard drive they're stored on. They're hardly great art, are they! Fun, though, to look back a LOT of years...

Guest Alison Drummond

I think I went to that Human League gig-like I say,my memory's all fuddled!I know I went to one of theirs at the Limit.Other gigs I went to there were:B52s,OMD,John Cooper Clark,Linton Kwesi Johnson,The Undertones,UB40 (I have a photo of that,I'll hv to try to download it),the Specials I think or was that at Top Rank?When I recall the Limit I get this wonderful reminiscence full of youthful exitement!Obviously at my age now the new Limit that's going to open won't have the same atmosphere but even so it'll be great to hear all the old music!