Typical 'Limit' Tracks:

"Tainted Love" by Soft Cell

"About the Weather" by Magazine

"Transmission" by Joy Division

"Into the Valley" by the Skids

"I Got you" by Split Enz

"Quiet Life" by Japan

"Life In Tokyo" by Japan

"Boys Cry" by Original Mirrors (aka the Lightening Seeds)

"Furniture Music" by Red Noise

Anything by the Jam

"Love Song" by The Damned

The Limit DJ was Paul "Legs" Unwin

The music is obviously one of the main reasons that the venue has such great memories for those who went. Some legendary and very famous bands played the venue - some of which are listed below.

Sheffield bands were no strangers to the place, and some of the major bands of the city played there from the Human League to Def Leppard to Pulp and more.

LIST OF BANDS THAT PLAYED AT THE LIMIT

*note - I'll keep working on this until I can get a comprehensive list of bands and the dates they played the venue*

B 52s (1st English Gig 1979)

Heaven 17

Death Cult

Bethnal

Bill Nelson (of Bebop Deluxe) -Early 80s

Cabaret Voltaire

Candy Paige

Chris Rea

Cockney Rejects

Def Leppard

Department S (1981 ?)

Depeche Mode - 03/02/81

Erasure - 8-12-1985

Human League (1985-1986)

Lena Lovich

Madness

Pulp

Simple Minds

The Beat

The Cure - 29/05/1979

The Cramps - 03/11/1980

The Alarm

The Jags....who? 'I got your number'

The Mekons

The Planets - 27/02/1980

The Police - 28-11-1978

The Macc Lads

The Smirks

UB40

Secret Affair

Gang Of Four

Dexy's Midnight Runners

Siouxie and the Banshees

Chas and Dave

The Meteors

The Barracudas

Paul Young and the Q-Tips

Pink Floyd (is this true - can anyone confirm ??)

Selector

Revillos

Skids

UK Subs

Death Trash

Steel Pulse

The Lurkers (May 1978)

Ultravox (21 Sept 1978)

U2 (played there 2ce in 1980)

Robert Plant (26 May 1981)

Marillion (19 Aug 1982)

Roman Holiday (19th May + 22 Sept 1983)

Generation X (Jan 1986)

Toyah - 17/04/79 & 16/08/79

The Psychadelic Furs - 03/20/80

The Comsat Angels - 29.09.85 - 29.11.85

Level 42 - 5th November 1981 (yep, bonfire night !)

Q magazine also awarded the B52's gig at the Limit on july 24th 1979 as one of the best gigs of all time !

You'll have to bear with me on this whilst I get the info on The Limit as I never once went in this place (must be the only person in Sheffield who didn't !)

you missed nash the slash and the skids did an matinee for the under 18s

Guest EddieVasselino

you missed nash the slash and the skids did an matinee for the under 18s

Also

Famous Five 1982

Guest spanishexpat

I was one of the original Limit frequenters from when it opened until I left for New York at the beginning of 1981. I'm still friends with some of the members of the original and as then unheard of bands. The owner, George Webster, was a member of my Dad's bowling club (grass not lanes) on Shirebrook Road and we'd play dominoes with George and his father, George senior. After experiencing the Limit and knowing him, it was an odd combination. Great club, great nights.

Anyone fancy coming down to The Limit Club on 13th November ?

I've heard there's an upcoming band on who might be worth watching....

On 27 June 2015 at 02:42, dodger23 said:

Hi Everyone,

New blog post. Bill Nelson's Red Noise at The City Hall and Joe Jackson at The Limit. Both on the same night in 1979: http://www.mylifeinthemoshofghosts.com/2015/06/27/bill-nelsons-red-noise-fingerprintz-sheffield-city-hall-joe-jackson-the-limit-club-sheffield-both-13th-march-1979/

rednoise4.jpg

Went to that one, slightly disappointed that only a couple of Be-Bop Deluxe numbers got played and they were off Drastic Plastic.

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2007 at 19:05, Henry Pond said:

LIST OF BANDS THAT PLAYED AT THE LIMIT:

Add "Department S", 1981 I think.

also add Nash the Slash 1980, I think.

The Limit Sheffield.png

The Limit nightclub, Sheffield, 1980s

Nos. 62, Conway Tailors; 64, Lievesley Watch Repairs; 66, Dolly Mix Sweet Shop; 68, Rob's Fish and Chips; Dee Gee Precious Metals, Wholesale, Retail Jewellers; 70, Limit Night Club [formerly Co-operative Wholesale Society Ltd],West Street, Sheffield, 1981

On 25/01/2015 at 17:54, Sheffield History said:

post-1-0-07275400-1422208496_thumb.jpg

On 28/08/2017 at 09:39, Sheffield History said:

The Limit Sheffield.png

The Limit nightclub, Sheffield, 1980s

Nos. 62, Conway Tailors; 64, Lievesley Watch Repairs; 66, Dolly Mix Sweet Shop; 68, Rob's Fish and Chips; Dee Gee Precious Metals, Wholesale, Retail Jewellers; 70, Limit Night Club [formerly Co-operative Wholesale Society Ltd],West Street, Sheffield, 1981

I was a regular at the Limit club on West Street, usually Punk and New Wave nights and went, mostly from 1977- 1980/81 ish, probably most nights, Thursday to Sunday, depending who was on and what was on elsewhere, at Top Rank/Roxys or University Bar or Marples,George IV, etc.

Didn't SHAM 69 play at the Limit? I know they played the Top Rank, but pretty sure they played the Limit, stage at the far end, back of the club, lots of aggro simmering/kicking off, as usual.

Also, Wayne County(and the Electric Chairs) DEFINATELY played there one night, at the old front side stage,  just before he/she became, Jayne County.

I saw the first B 52 gig, also at the front side stage....and remember loads of others too. If SKIDS played there, they were probably v.good too, wasn't too impressed with the Siouxsie/Banshees set, much better on record than live, I thought.

Best ones I can recall at the mo, probably Madness, stage at back end, UK SUBS and Sham 69, all at stage at back end of the club. I think either or both Sham and  UK SUBS, messed up/had sound problems, and TOTALLY re-started their set after about 4 or 5 numbers!!

Sometimes, if I could get near the main bar... I had a few watery beers in plastic glasses....and had a dance around or two.

Visit to the Limit club was never complete for me without hearing, Wire, "I am the Fly"......and later, Papas got a brand new,(PIGBAG).

Amazing times, especially the earlier days, a bag of chips from next door after coming out,  then always a run down to High Street or Pond Street for the Late bus home!

I MAY have photos of the B-52's gig and Wayne County, possibly others too?

Just returned to the NOSTALGIA Trip,(which I did around 2008-2015) but am slightly more focused now.

LIST OF BANDS THAT PLAYED AT THE LIMIT

*note - I'll keep working on this until I can get a comprehensive list of bands and the dates they played the venue*

B 52s (1st English Gig 1979)

Heaven 17

Death Cult

Bethnal

Bill Nelson (of Bebop Deluxe) -Early 80s

Cabaret Voltaire

Candy Paige

Chris Rea

Cockney Rejects

Def Leppard

Department S (1981 ?)

Depeche Mode - 03/02/81

Erasure - 8-12-1985

Human League (1985-1986)

Lena Lovich

Madness

Pulp

Simple Minds

The Beat

The Cure - 29/05/1979

The Cramps - 03/11/1980

The Alarm

The Jags....who? 'I got your number'

The Mekons

The Planets - 27/02/1980

The Police - 28-11-1978

The Macc Lads

The Smirks

UB40

Secret Affair

Gang Of Four

Dexy's Midnight Runners

Siouxie and the Banshees

Chas and Dave

The Meteors

The Barracudas

Paul Young and the Q-Tips

Pink Floyd (is this true - can anyone confirm ??)

Selector

Revillos

Skids

UK Subs

Death Trash

Steel Pulse

The Lurkers (May 1978)

Ultravox (21 Sept 1978)

U2 (played there 2ce in 1980)

Robert Plant (26 May 1981)

Marillion (19 Aug 1982)

Roman Holiday (19th May + 22 Sept 1983)

Generation X (Jan 1986)

Toyah - 17/04/79 & 16/08/79

The Psychadelic Furs - 03/20/80

The Comsat Angels - 29.09.85 - 29.11.85

Level 42 - 5th November 1981 (yep, bonfire night !)

Q magazine also awarded the B52's gig at the Limit on july 24th 1979 as one of the best gigs of all time !

You'll have to bear with me on this whilst I get the info on The Limit as I never once went in this place (must be the only person in Sheffield who didn't !)

I was a regular at the Limit club on West Street, usually Punk and New Wave nights and went, mostly from 1977- 1980/81 ish, probably most nights, Thursday to Sunday, depending who was on and what was on elsewhere, at Top Rank/Roxys or University Bar or Marples,George IV, etc.

Didn't SHAM 69 play at the Limit? I know they played the Top Rank, but pretty sure they played the Limit, stage at the far end, back of the club, lots of aggro simmering/kicking off, as usual.

Also, Wayne County(and the Electric Chairs) DEFINATELY played there one night, at the old front side stage,  just before he/she became, Jayne County.

I saw the first B 52 gig, also at the front side stage....and remember loads of others too. If SKIDS played there, they were probably v.good too, wasn't too impressed with the Siouxsie/Banshees set, much better on record than live, I thought.

Best ones I can recall at the mo, probably Madness, stage at back end, UK SUBS and Sham 69, all at stage at back end of the club. I think either or both Sham and  UK SUBS, messed up/had sound problems, and TOTALLY re-started their set after about 4 or 5 numbers!!