Spirit Merchants/Dealers

RichardB

I do not know how (ir)relevant this may be. But I just noticed earlier this week (after a fairly long absence from Sheffield), on an elevation in Church Street (next door to the bank that's recently been vacated):

1797 - Shite & Sons - Late - Thomas Aldam - 1797

Above the door on the left hand side it says something like Stone Hous or The Stone Hous (definitely with the final -e missing). Above the door on the right hand side it says ? Private Guests ?

Am I right in thinking all this has only recently become visible (again)?

I'd like to see that ! Shite & Sons ??? lol

Thos. ALDAM spirit mert. 14 Church St. Baine's 1822

Thomas ALDAM Wine & Spirit Merchants (& Porter) Church Street Pigot's 1828-9

Thomas ALDAM wine & porter mert. 13 Church Street White's 1833

Thomas ALDAM Porter merchant 19 Church Street Pigot's 1841

Thomas ALDAM Spirit merchant & dealer 19 Church Street Pigot's 1841

Thomas ALDAM Wine & porter merchant 19 Church Street White's 1849

Thomas ALDAM Wine, spirit & porter merchant 10 Church Street White's 1852

Am I right in thinking all this has only recently become visible (again)?

Apparently undergoing refurbishment.

Hint : pictures ?

Guest akademik

I was under the impression that vis-a-vis 1795 - WHITE & SONS - LATE - THOMAS ALMAN - 1795 on Churcxh St I had started a new topic; but I cannot seem to find that at all anymore. ????

Anyway.

The other day, I noticed that a final -E has been added to the semi-circle lettering over the lefthand door: THE STONE HOUS > THE STONE HOUSE (the new letter is not quite the same colour as the old ones ...). Over the door on the right it says PRIVATE LODGINGS.

I was under the impression that vis-a-vis 1795 - WHITE & SONS - LATE - THOMAS ALMAN - 1795 on Churcxh St I had started a new topic; but I cannot seem to find that at all anymore. ????

Hi 'akademik,

You're Topic is still on here

;-)

HI RichardB , l have not seen any comments to this picture of Hay's in Norfolk St,but it had a large bar to the lower end of the arched widows , called Hay's Bar , about 4/5 of[ our gang] for a better word, one Xmas Eve met here, we decided to start with a half ,then a pint, then a spirit of ones choice ,, then a barley wine then a bass , then it was wheres Jim got too? then wheres Ike got too, shortly after l suppose it was ,wheres Arthur got to , he was outside reeling about with the missing lads ,it was nearly ten o'clock before we all gathered at our venue, the City Hall , we just scraped in ,Happy days. Skeets.

Guest OLD No.12

i've aquired a new bottle to my collection, which i don't think is on you above listings. if it is of any interest to you:-

WILSON SPIRIT MERCHANT. OLD WHITE SWAN STORES. No.55,57&59 WEST BAR. SHEFFIELD.

Guest OLD No.12

was howes & co. wine,spirit merchant. 12 union street, sheffield. in buisness as he isnt in the above lists.