University Tower

Sheffield History

A picture of the University Arts Tower taken from my December 1974 collection of Sheffield pictures.

This one is previously unposted and the Arts Tower appears in the picture only coincidentally. The main subject of the picture was the University Department Of Chemistry building (centre picture, just over the roundabout) as in 1974 this was one of the 5 universities I had applied to on my UCCA form, I was offered a place there but it was not ultimately the university I went to.

As this is a busy street in 1974 I suppose Stuart0742 / transit / busman / plaintalker and the other transport topic experts will like this shot for the cars and vehicles it contains.

Wrong side of the road for a decent Then & Now, need to take a photo from the other side

Courtesy of Google Street View

Wrong side of the road for a decent Then & Now, need to take a photo from the other side

Do you want me to take the photo from the other side of the road or Google street view?

I wouldn't mind being transported back to the 1970's to retake some of the THEN pictures, but using 2009 equipment.

How do Google decide which side of the road they are on?

As this is Britain on the side of the road in their picture they must have been driving towards the observer of the picture, so their camera must have been pointing backwards. That said, they do of course constantly rotate the camera (mounted on top of the car) to do full 360 degree views.

Do you want me to take the photo from the other side of the road or Google street view?

I wouldn't mind being transported back to the 1970's to retake some of the THEN pictures, but using 2009 equipment.

How do Google decide which side of the road they are on?

As this is Britain on the side of the road in their picture they must have been driving towards the observer of the picture, so their camera must have been pointing backwards. That said, they do of course constantly rotate the camera (mounted on top of the car) to do full 360 degree views.

I suppose its pot look which side of the road they are on, they must have a route to follow

Easiest way for the photo's if we can get a now from the correct side of the road :)

I suppose its pot look which side of the road they are on, they must have a route to follow

Easiest way for the photo's if we can get a now from the correct side of the road :)

From the Google street view the viewpoint I used in 1974 certainly still exists and is recognisable as such, so it is an ideal candidate for a then and now.

Most of my 1974 have been the subject of then and now compilations but in some cases the scene has changed so much due to redevelopment that either the viewpoint itself no longer exists (eg, on the top of Norfolk Park flats), or too much new stuff obscures the view (Hillsborough corner) or the actual view has changed out of all recognition (Canal Wharf).

This one is OK, lets go for it.

A picture of the University Arts Tower taken from my December 1974 collection of Sheffield pictures.

This one is previously unposted and the Arts Tower appears in the picture only coincidentally. The main subject of the picture was the University Department Of Chemistry building (centre picture, just over the roundabout) as in 1974 this was one of the 5 universities I had applied to on my UCCA form, I was offered a place there but it was not ultimately the university I went to.

As this is a busy street in 1974 I suppose Stuart0742 / transit / busman / plaintalker and the other transport topic experts will like this shot for the cars and vehicles it contains.

I was working at Jessops Hospital at the time of this photo. That could even be my MK1 cortina in the shot.

I was working at Jessops Hospital at the time of this photo. That could even be my MK1 cortina in the shot.

Although the Cortina is in the forground unfortunately it is not possible to read the number plate due to limits on the resolution.

Unlike Google street I don't normally blur out the number plates and peoples faces he he

I have mentioned Butlers before as Stan Butler was a school friend of my dads and he lived in this area. My dad lived on Leavygreave Road just a few doors away from Hendersons factory.

At the beginning of the war my dad and Stan Butler were (briefly) evacuated out of Sheffield together. Stan was packed off with a generous supply of Butlers for the evacuees and there hosts so my dad was similarly packed up with a good supply of Hendersons relish. My dads own comment was "There was food rationing but while we were evacuated we ate better than we had before the war started"

The full story is in one of the Sheffield at War threads, - I think the one about evacuation.

I always knew him as Steve Butler , was Stan his father?

By the discription of being evacuated sounds more like Steve's age.

Steve had a son David who will now be about 57.

I always knew him as Steve Butler , was Stan his father?

By the discription of being evacuated sounds more like Steve's age.

Steve had a son David who will now be about 57.

Dad always called him Stan.

Both are now dead but would have been 80 this year.

Dad always called him Stan.

Both are now dead but would have been 80 this year.

Was talking to my mum this weekend.

His name could well have been Steve Butler.

Mum says that dad only started calling him Stan after the Reg Varney character, - the bus driver out of "On The Buses"

He only ever called him Stan to me and I assumed that was his name.

Then & Now using DaveH's photo and mine taken today

Was talking to my mum this weekend.

His name could well have been Steve Butler.

Mum says that dad only started calling him Stan after the Reg Varney character, - the bus driver out of "On The Buses"

He only ever called him Stan to me and I assumed that was his name.

He was a very nice man and his wife was a hard worker even though she had a pacemaker

she never stopped grafting. His son was an accountant who didnt want to take the business

on and wanted Steve to live near him on the outskirts of Barnsley.

The back of the premises were really broken down [ I suppose they're even worse now ]

but Steve always said if it was good enough for his father it was good enough for him.

As he got older he moved out to live near his son.

I do miss that cow pie. :rolleyes:

Then & Now using DaveH's photo and mine taken today

Ah!, you already have then & nowed it, - sorry I saw the picture in the recent developments thread first and suggested it would make a then and now exactly like this.