University Tower

Sheffield History

Has anyone been up to the top ?

Would be great to get access and get onto the roof for some shots of Sheffield with my camera..

Guest tsavo

Never been on the roof but once went 'over the top' on the paternoster. Thought I'd come out on the other side but upside down.

Never been on the roof but once went 'over the top' on the paternoster. Thought I'd come out on the other side but upside down.

Is that the step on step off elevator? My wife worked there for a while and told me about it. She was scared to use it :lol:

Here's a view from years past - showing just what a great view you could get from up there..

Here's a view from years past - showing just what a great view you could get from up there..

"Hey Mum I can our house from here" - its true - I can! - or at least that was our house 40 odd years ago

Thanks - a wonderful photo

I don't know if it's legend or what, but as kids we wee told that on a good day, with a good camera, you could take a picture of the crooked steeple at Chesterfield from the top of the University Library Tower.

I thought anyone could go up there?

Just read a little about this Tower and adjoining Library. English heritage described Arts Tower as " City's finest post war building and said to be the tallest university building in the contry "

Library built 1959 and Art Tower 1962-6 conected at mezzanine level by bridge.

Library clad in Portland stone on a brick base with turquoise tint glass. built to cater for 2,000 students and cost £5000,000 or £5 per foot . Most striking feature in library is a silk embroidery , high up on wall depicting students at graduation.

AT TIME OF BOOK 1998 :- art Tower was tallest building in Sheffield 255ft above ground in 18 storeys and 27ft in the basement underground.

Lift ia a continuously moving paternoster lift ...with open fronts .

just thought i'd share that ....zoro

Guest Noise Heat Power

It always fascinates me how this building looks so much taller than it actually is. At 18/19 storeys or so, it really isn't a very big building, but due to its location on a hill and its shape, and the fact that it's surrounded by low-ish buildings, it does have quite an authentic skyscrapery feel.

Guest Gunner3

Modelled on the Seagram tower in New York i believe. As a student at the university it was a rite of passage to go all the way round in the paternoster lifts, through the pit and the loft. Scary stuff considering how often they grind to a halt for no apparent reason on a regular basis!

Guest broncolives

Worked on it as an apprentice just after it was finished. had to go on the roof to see who would be brave enough to go over the top in the cradle.

Needless to say one look over the side and it was brown trouser time and take me back.

Had some fun in there though.

There is a wind tunnel at the bottom which ran around the base underground good fun taking new apprentices in without warning and watching them get blown away.

Guest snodgrass

Hi Snodgrass

Welcome to the site, there is no such thing on this site as an old post, we like to keep posts turning over, it is a history site :)

Your photo's are fantastic and given they were taken in 2005 are already a part of history. Question here for others, what has changed in these views?

This post answers Admins OP back from March 2007.

Guest carlie167

Hi Snodgrass

Welcome to the site, there is no such thing on this site as an old post, we like to keep posts turning over, it is a history site :)

Your photo's are fantastic and given they were taken in 2005 are already a part of history. Question here for others, what has changed in these views?

Well, the cooling towers are gone for one thing. :(

I'll see if I can find anything else.

Great views by the way, thank you Snodgrass, and welcome.

Guest snodgrass

Hello again everyone

many, many thanks for the warm welcome to Sheffield History - such nice people on this forum!

As the pics were well received, I thought I'd post a couple more:

http://www.crosspool.co.uk/snod/Dscn1105.jpg

http://www.crosspool.co.uk/snod/Dscn1120.jpg

http://www.crosspool.co.uk/snod/Dscn1122.jpg

The quality of the last one (Dscn1122) is inferior due to shooting against the sun. However, the old art college on Psalter Lane is visible (I think!) and so is (to the very top-right) the end of the Hallam Towers hotel. Anybody know if there are any plans for these landmark buildings? (should I start a new thread?)

all the best

Hello again everyone

many, many thanks for the warm welcome to Sheffield History - such nice people on this forum!

As the pics were well received, I thought I'd post a couple more:

http://www.crosspool.co.uk/snod/Dscn1105.jpg

http://www.crosspool.co.uk/snod/Dscn1120.jpg

http://www.crosspool.co.uk/snod/Dscn1122.jpg

The quality of the last one (Dscn1122) is inferior due to shooting against the sun. However, the old art college on Psalter Lane is visible (I think!) and so is (to the very top-right) the end of the Hallam Towers hotel. Anybody know if there are any plans for these landmark buildings? (should I start a new thread?)

all the best

More good photo's Snodgrass.

Re your question, yes post a question possibly in Sheffield Places - Their History, I am sure it will get a good response. Somebody will know the answer.

. Question here for others, what has changed in these views?

One of the major changes is the sign on the Hendo's factory.

Having mentioned the Paternoster Lift in the University Arts Tower in the recent developments thread there is a short video of it in action here

Paternoster Lift

A picture of the University Arts Tower taken from my December 1974 collection of Sheffield pictures.

This one is previously unposted and the Arts Tower appears in the picture only coincidentally. The main subject of the picture was the University Department Of Chemistry building (centre picture, just over the roundabout) as in 1974 this was one of the 5 universities I had applied to on my UCCA form, I was offered a place there but it was not ultimately the university I went to.

As this is a busy street in 1974 I suppose Stuart0742 / transit / busman / plaintalker and the other transport topic experts will like this shot for the cars and vehicles it contains.

As this is a busy street in 1974 I suppose Stuart0742 / transit / busman / plaintalker and the other transport topic experts will like this shot for the cars and vehicles it contains.

What abuot 'Butler's Cafe on the R/H side of your photo.

What abuot 'Butler's Cafe on the R/H side of your photo.

I have mentioned Butlers before as Stan Butler was a school friend of my dads and he lived in this area. My dad lived on Leavygreave Road just a few doors away from Hendersons factory.

At the beginning of the war my dad and Stan Butler were (briefly) evacuated out of Sheffield together. Stan was packed off with a generous supply of Butlers for the evacuees and there hosts so my dad was similarly packed up with a good supply of Hendersons relish. My dads own comment was "There was food rationing but while we were evacuated we ate better than we had before the war started"

The full story is in one of the Sheffield at War threads, - I think the one about evacuation.