Regents Court - Sheffield 6

Sheffield History

I love this building - it's so strange looking !

Huge place too - and if you drive past you just don't get a feel for how big it actually is ?

Took this shot from the hill up to Shiregreen above Wards End Cemetary

It currently looks disgusting from the rear - try to get a similar picture with a view of the backs of the flats.

Regent Court actually made it into the new Pevsner Guide to Sheffield. here's what it has to say:

Regent Court is a nine storey block of balcony-access flats by Edgar Gardham, built in 1936, a rare example of flats in a working class area erected by private enterprise. they were built for private renting (the original rents of 18 to 25 shillings per week (80p to £1.25 in new money) were high by Sheffield standards), and were the only block on this scale to be built in Sheffield prior to Park Hill. Lip service was paid to the Modern Movement in the flat roofs, strong horizontals and white rendering, which contrasted with brick used for the entrance and the balcony walls but the overwhelming scale of the development represented precisely what post-war planners sought to avoid. The plan comprised a shallow frontage and 2 wings containing 202 flats, varying in size from 1 to 3 bedrooms and with 3 lifts serving them. The advertised intention (never realized), was to provide a swimming pool and a bowling green although refrigerators, tennis courts and a communal lounge were supplied. Graham built a similar but smaller block on Duke Street, since demolished.

Guest alexander

I have lived on Regent Court for over 60yrs and would like any photos of the building and particular during there construction in 1936/7 .A booklet was printed advertising the features of the building in 1937 of which I would love to have a copy

A booklet was printed advertising the features of the building in 1937 of which I would love to have a copy

Sure we'd all like to see that booklet.