Server is busy message.

Guest tsavo

That would certainly explain the Saturday afternoon (around 5-6pm, just after the match!)

Not so sure about Thursday though and that has happened twice.

Do they play matches on thursdays? Should our local team be called Sheffield Thursday? lol

Check out "Thursday Wanderers" - a Sheffield team from ... well ... check it out (S6 Born and Bred, Blue and White to the core; check the thread for United when they were relegated for who was watching, caring and upset)

I've been getting the "server too busy" message a lot, over the last couple of weeks.

And sometimes it runs really slowly. Often when it does start to run slow this is a prelude to the "server is busy" message and then being cut out.

And sometimes it runs really slowly. Often when it does start to run slow this is a prelude to the "server is busy" message and then being cut out.

Real problems this evening Wed. 18 December 7pm - 8:30pm

In IE7 site is running so slowly, taking well over 1 minute to display each new page, that it is almost unusable to the extent that this is likely to be my only post this evening.

In Firefox3 things are equally as bad and the site only displays in a very basic form (text only, blue hyperlinks, plain white background). I tried Firefox because IE7 has just done the MicroSoft critical security fix and I thought this may be affecting things.

All other websites I have visited tonight in both IE7 or FireFox have downloaded normally and at normal speed, so I can only assume it is the SH server playing up again.

I noticed it was running slowly between 7 and 8 but as my local srever is often slow at that time, blamed them. Sorry Sapo!

PS Recently swapped to Firefox and found it much better and quicker that I.E.

Been OK for over a week now but then just got the same error again,

Saturday 27 December 2008, 16:30

Wouldn't let me log on again until around 5 o'clock and interfered with me downloading SteveHB's brilliant SheffieldHistory 2009 calendar.

I take it Wednesday have just finished playing a match?

Been OK for over a week now but then just got the same error again,

Saturday 27 December 2008, 16:30

Wouldn't let me log on again until around 5 o'clock and interfered with me downloading SteveHB's brilliant SheffieldHistory 2009 calendar.

I take it Wednesday have just finished playing a match?

Same here Dave H but no Wednesday match today!

Got me too :(

Got me again just as I was sending Stuart0742 a PM about adding stuff to the Then & Now Showcase. Fortunately it saved the text of the maessage for me to copy and save before kicking me off. Cut off Sunday 7:02 pm, got back on within 5 minutes, short disruption but annoying all the same.

Following my recent "loss of service" (see DaveH is back thread) the only slow running I have noticed was on the evening of Tuesday 27 January 2009. I have confirmed with Stuart0742 that he was also experiencing these symptoms. The reason once again appears to be a Sheffield Wednesday match that night and so is presumably related to heavy traffic on owlstalk.

The solution would appear to be quite simple if not always convenient and that is to avoid using Sheffield History during and just after any Wednesday football match as this seems to be the main time slow running (so slow as to be useless) is experienced. After all football matches are not too frequent or too long to spoil our fun here too much.

Got the loss of server try again later message last night around 8:30, don't think there was a match on and the weather was poor anyway.

Probably was the weather.

Got me again on Saturday 3 times between 4:45 and 5:30.

I know its been a United v Wednesday derby match but that was an early kick off at 12:00 so the match is long over, I would have thought the server trouble would have been around 2:00 this time.

Got me again on Saturday 3 times between 4:45 and 5:30.

I know its been a United v Wednesday derby match but that was an early kick off at 12:00 so the match is long over, I would have thought the server trouble would have been around 2:00 this time.

With football fans its not the watching, its all the discussion by all the experts afterwards that takes the time.

With football fans its not the watching, its all the discussion by all the experts afterwards that takes the time.

Yes I know what football fans are like, the match only lasts 90 minutes but the discussion afterwards goes on forever, sometimes a bit like a gramophone record with the needle stuck!

Even on television the discussion in the studio with the 3 "experts" lasts longer than the match, but that's usually because on television 3 third rate presenters ( they are ex profesional footballers but in terms of presenting they can hardly string I sentance together and a lot of the discussion is just " well, errr, you know, he just, ...like,...err, passed him , err, the ball and he, like, err sort of, err kicked it, well, err you know...at the goal, and it err, like, sot of errr, just went in!" which is why a 90 minute match needs 6 hours of discussion!) are a lot cheaper than the cost of televising the match.

Yes I know what football fans are like, the match only lasts 90 minutes but the discussion afterwards goes on forever, sometimes a bit like a gramophone record with the needle stuck!

Even on television the discussion in the studio with the 3 "experts" lasts longer than the match, but that's usually because on television 3 third rate presenters ( they are ex profesional footballers but in terms of presenting they can hardly string I sentance together and a lot of the discussion is just " well, errr, you know, he just, ...like,...err, passed him , err, the ball and he, like, err sort of, err kicked it, well, err you know...at the goal, and it err, like, sot of errr, just went in!" which is why a 90 minute match needs 6 hours of discussion!) are a lot cheaper than the cost of televising the match.

Something else I don't understand, why do football clubs pay a fortune to employ a manager, when there hundreds of fans who know far more than he does. Top Tip for football clubs sack your manager and give the job to the "Know all" fans who will do a better job. Cost less as well. lollol lol

Something else I don't understand, why do football clubs pay a fortune to employ a manager, when there hundreds of fans who know far more than he does. Top Tip for football clubs sack your manager and give the job to the "Know all" fans who will do a better job. Cost less as well. lollollol

No Stuart!!

Football discussions always end up in an argument and frequently in a punch up.

If you put the fans in charge they would never agree on anything and after every board room meeting the police would have to send in the riot squad.

Sunday 8 February 2008

Its been OK all day but got the server message at 19:58 and could reconnect at 20:03

When I was thrown off there were 11 members logged in and when I got back only 5 minutes later only 5, so either i'm not the only one it happens to or something good came on the telly at 8 o'clock.

Its Sunday night, its dark, its cold and its snowing like mad outside.

I can't see it being the football this time.

Sometimes it's me doing quick maintainance

When I do it - it's about 5 to 10 minutes long and will just say that the site is offline

I did it then because it was the only time I had access to the internet !

Sometimes it's me doing quick maintainance

When I do it - it's about 5 to 10 minutes long and will just say that the site is offline

I did it then because it was the only time I had access to the internet !

That could be one of the reasons then ADMIN, in fact it has done that today in the last half hour or so and the interuption was very brief (probably no more than 2 minutes) and it gave exactly the message you quote above "the site is offline".

However in the longer periods of downtime which do tend to coincide with the end of Wednesday's matches the usual message is "the server is busy"

That could be one of the reasons then ADMIN, in fact it has done that today in the last half hour or so and the interuption was very brief (probably no more than 2 minutes) and it gave exactly the message you quote above "the site is offline".

However in the longer periods of downtime which do tend to coincide with the end of Wednesday's matches the usual message is "the server is busy"

I was thrown off the site with server is busy message last night at about 8:30 and although I could get back on (eventually) the error constantly reoccured making the site almost unusable. Was there a Tuesday night Wednesday match? (now that sentence is totally meaningless anywhere else but Sheffield)

Suprisingly I was using the site at work today as a guest (works computers) in the dinner hour and at about 1:30 exactly the same thing happened!

Seems to be OK tonight so far though.

Today, Easter Monday seems to have been the worst day ever.

I have constantly been thrown off the site or been able to reconnect to it due to this "server is busy" error message.

I assume there must have been a lot of sport and people on Bank holidays using the server services.

However I can't help but notice that it is not Sheffield History that is keeping the server busy, hardly more than 6 members on at any one time all day. I have only managed to make 7 posts all day and yet the statistics put me as top poster with 25% of the days posts, - so we are not exactly overloading the server are we!

NOTE, - I was thrown off again whilst trying to post this and have had to save the text to post it later.

Same thing has happened earlier while adding pictures to posts, - this is making the site almost unusable.

I agree fully, I was unable to connect at 2am - then gardening all day - 4:20 pm tried, failed to connect; same till gone 6 pm, also kicked off mid-post.

Our worst day so far.

I agree fully, I was unable to connect at 2am - then gardening all day - 4:20 pm tried, failed to connect; same till gone 6 pm, also kicked off mid-post.

Our worst day so far.

Yes that was very tedious and frustrating - I though Admin promised to sort this problem out? You can understand the frustration of new members who had difficulty logging on - this could happen 50 days a year including cup games.!

Yes that was very tedious and frustrating - I though Admin promised to sort this problem out? You can understand the frustration of new members who had difficulty logging on - this could happen 50 days a year including cup games.!

Somehow I knew it wasn't just me, - you can tell other people are suffering the same when most of the big posters are not doing a lot of posts.