Crowded conditions anyone

RichardB

... The lower part abounds, however, in confined courts, filthy dwellings, and the most depraved part of the population.

To persons at all acquianted with the town, in corroboration of these remarks, it is sufficient to name Castle-green, Water-lane, Scargill-croft, New-street, Red-croft and many of the courts and bye lanes in the vicinity; Holly-street Bailey-field - a street about 150 yards in length, and yet containing more than 40 workshops and 192 houses, 134 of which are in close and unhealthy courts, and many of them occupied by the lowest class of artisans and Irish. They are the resort of thieves and prostitutes.

Taking the inhabitants of Bailey-street at five per house, which is greatly beneath the truth in property of this description, and allowing merely one person for each workshop, the population of this street only is 1000. (1)

(1) There is no Public sewer in Bailey-field, and most of the court yards are below the level of the street. The street however is well paved.

I've often wondered where Bailey field was, it is a frequent address in the 1787 directory but isn't shown on either Gosling's or Fairbank's 18th cent. plans of the town.

The name suggests somewhere in the old castle bailey, but this stretched from Exchange street down to Pond hill.

... The lower part abounds, however, in confined courts, filthy dwellings, and the most depraved part of the population.

To persons at all acquianted with the town, in corroboration of these remarks, it is sufficient to name Castle-green, Water-lane, Scargill-croft, New-street, Red-croft and many of the courts and bye lanes in the vicinity; Holly-street Bailey-field - a street about 150 yards in length, and yet containing more than 40 workshops and 192 houses, 134 of which are in close and unhealthy courts, and many of them occupied by the lowest class of artisans and Irish. They are the resort of thieves and prostitutes.

Taking the inhabitants of Bailey-street at five per house, which is greatly beneath the truth in property of this description, and allowing merely one person for each workshop, the population of this street only is 1000. (1)

(1) There is no Public sewer in Bailey-field, and most of the court yards are below the level of the street. The street however is well paved.

That's interesting. My gggrandmother Emma Bramhall was born in Bailey Street in 1839. Her father was a Spring Knife Cutler. soulds lovely!

Found it now, "Bailey Field, then a newly-made street, running through the open land between Trippet Lane and Broad Lane" according to Leader's Sheffield In The Eighteenth Century.

Richard, - can I ask what you're quoting from ?

Yes Leader, I do, however, post a lot of stuff and usually don't recall the article, never mind the source !

No sewer and courts below the level of the Street did however make me think ...

That's interesting. My gggrandmother Emma Bramhall was born in Bailey Street in 1839. Her father was a Spring Knife Cutler. soulds lovely!

Emma Bramhall, 1851 Census

Sure you've got this Dunsbyowl; this is for the "Great Unwashed"

<RichardB hides>

Guest 30_degrees

In the 70's upto ?, Cole Bros. had there carpet warehouse at the top of Bailey Street where all the measuring, cutting and joining was done prior to delivery and fitting. The old building was a labrynth on various floors and had a staff canteen for the workers on the site. Reversing into the loading bay was a challenge because of the narrow street and of the steepness of the hill.

Found it now, "Bailey Field, then a newly-made street, running through the open land between Trippet Lane and Broad Lane"

Pretty much the site of the current 'Full Monty' Jobcentre on West St, the building of which is called Bailey Court.

Pretty much the site of the current 'Full Monty' Jobcentre on West St, the building of which is called Bailey Court.

One of the best descriptions of Old Sheffield, what year, I wonder ?