Prestons Chemists West Street

johnm

When I was a lad in the 1950's I and friends used to go to Prestons Chemicals ( I think it was called) to get our supplies of chemicals for messing about with experiments. I recall we had to have a form signed by our parents to say it was ok to buy them.

I think the shop was on the end of West Street or maybe the start of Glossop Rd on the side opposite to the Royal Hospital and further on. Next door there was a joke shop which sold itching powder etc.

Anyone else remember that? I assume its gone years ago.

John

I remember that shop, use to go there to get top-ups for my chemistry set, so I could make stink bombs and that would be around the early sixties.

Seem to think it was called Prestons Chemists ?

edit .. just came across this J Preston Limited Sheffield,

looks like the same company

Guest tsavo

I seem to remember it being at the junction of Mappin St and West St. Think it was called Preston's Laboratory Supplies.

I seem to remember it being at the junction of Mappin St and West St. Think it was called Preston's Laboratory Supplies.

Sorry tsavo, just added a link to my last post ^^^^

Thanks all - Yes, J Preston Ltd - my brain goes with time . I bet kids wouldn't be able to get such chemicals today poor things !

When I was a lad in the 1950's I and friends used to go to Prestons Chemicals ( I think it was called) to get our supplies of chemicals for messing about with experiments. I recall we had to have a form signed by our parents to say it was ok to buy them.

I think the shop was on the end of West Street or maybe the start of Glossop Rd on the side opposite to the Royal Hospital and further on. Next door there was a joke shop which sold itching powder etc.

Anyone else remember that? I assume its gone years ago.

John

Hi John,

The original shop in Barkers Pool.

Quite interested in J Preston as I have quite a few J Prestons in my family, maybe a missing link somewhere, first noticed J Prestons Chemists in Liverpool area. :unsure:

resembalance I think, look at those eyebrows. he he (my John Preston is the one with the hammer at the front).

Think I can see a slight of resembalance to the bloke on the left, but would that be Preston?

By the way Dunsbyowl, your photo with its accompanying text is spot on. Thanks

Spot on Tsavo, it was on the junction of West Street and Mappin Street, its exact address being 208 West Street. The building is still there but is now I believe some sort of cafe / restaurant (seems a bit risky health and safety wise with all those chemicals). Also used it in the 60's to top up chemistry sets (better and cheaper than Redgates) and in the late 70's when I became a chemistry teacher I used it a few times.

Spot on Tsavo, it was on the junction of West Street and Mappin Street, its exact address being 208 West Street. The building is still there but is now I believe some sort of cafe / restaurant (seems a bit risky health and safety wise with all those chemicals). Also used it in the 60's to top up chemistry sets (better and cheaper than Redgates) and in the late 70's when I became a chemistry teacher I used it a few times.

Is this the same interior preserved in Sheffield City Museums ? Scroll down!

http://www.museums-sheffield.org.uk/coresi.../sochistory.asp

Is this the same interior preserved in Sheffield City Museums ? Scroll down!

http://www.museums-sheffield.org.uk/coresi.../sochistory.asp

This is exactly the same shop Dunsbyowl, and some of the pictures shown are exactly as I remember them. Interesting to know that the old shop has become a preserved collection. I wouldn't mind going to see that sometime. Thanks for the information.

Thanks for finding the shop interior Dunsbyowl. I certainly can remember it now its there to see. It was like going back in time even when we went there in the 1950's!

Cheers, John

A lot of the fixtures and fittings in the pictures of Prestons seems to pre-date 1950 by quite a bit. The "as a lad in the 1950's" comment seems to be the limit of our collective membership memories, but just how old is Prestons the Chemist? The site only points out that it "dates from the 1900's."