Barkers Pool

mickjj

I’m at a loss as to why successive councils removed nearly all the monuments, obelisk etc, away from the town centre, I personally think the obelisk would enhance Fargate or the statue of Victoria that’s now languishing in Endcliffe Park. Nearly every town and city I’ve visited statues and other historical information abound, the best and most memorable city I’ve ever visited was Edinburgh, it blew me away.

• Like 1

I think the growth of transportation played a part in needing to move statues out of the way.Although now that Fargate is pedestrianised there is space for their return.

8 hours ago, Hopman said:

I think the growth of transportation played a part in needing to move statues out of the way.Although now that Fargate is pedestrianised there is space for their return.

I don’t believe that as other cities coped quite well. The space on Fargate is a money-making area for the council, I.e. markets and such, the St Patrick’s day tent relocated because of the money the council wanted for three days? it was £30,000 but they wanted more, they cut their own throats and deprived the public of a brilliant venue.