Recent developments

RichardB

A couple of photo's for VOX taken today

Looks a bit different around the bottom of the Moor today now that work on that new market development is progressing. The whole area from the kiosk in vox's post up to Sainsburys Central has been fenced off to just the pavement on the Atkinsons side, the metal moorfoot market stalls have gone and more work has started.

Looks a bit different around the bottom of the Moor today now that work on that new market development is progressing. The whole area from the kiosk in vox's post up to Sainsburys Central has been fenced off to just the pavement on the Atkinsons side, the metal moorfoot market stalls have gone and more work has started.

View fro bottom end, behind the kiosk looking up the Moor.

The Asian guy in the kiosk was very friendly and advised me how to get the best pictures.

Unfortunately the fencing is almost up to his kiosk so the work can't be good for his business.

View from pedestrianised area at very bottom of Moor

A panorama of 2 shots taken with my mobile phone.

These pictures don't seem to have joined very well and is not as "invisible" as I would have liked.

These pictures don't seem to have joined very well and is not as "invisible" as I would have liked.

Only just made it with the 2 shots of the kiosk for vox, only took them on 17th Sept

Only just made it with the 2 shots of the kiosk for vox, only took them on 17th Sept

As I said it is still there and you can still get to it. Its open and theres a nice Asian guy running it.

But its surrounded by all this fencing which can't be doing much for his business.

They have removed all the stalls in the moorfoot market, I hope they are going to leave the kiosk though as thats been there a lot longer, a piece of history.

Then again, we lost the Pond Street kiosk didn't we :(

Very interesting, Thanks for taking the pictures. Looks very different each time we see it.

View fro bottom end, behind the kiosk looking up the Moor.

The Asian guy in the kiosk was very friendly and advised me how to get the best pictures.

Unfortunately the fencing is almost up to his kiosk so the work can't be good for his business.

Trams Tracks back on the Moor!!

Never really went away

Trams Tracks back on the Moor!!

Never really went away

What a change in just 4 days.

In my pictures taken on Saturday there were no tram tracks, but in Stuarts taken on the following Wednesday there they are.

Its like waiting for a bus, nothing much seems to have happened at the bottom of the Moor for ages, then all of a sudden within a few days all this comes along.

Probably be different again when I go down there this Saturday.

As I said it is still there and you can still get to it. Its open and theres a nice Asian guy running it.

But its surrounded by all this fencing which can't be doing much for his business.

They have removed all the stalls in the moorfoot market, I hope they are going to leave the kiosk though as thats been there a lot longer, a piece of history.

Then again, we lost the Pond Street kiosk didn't we :(

I did say I'd ask Pete if he had any photos of the build.

Well true to form - not one picture.

This from my mate who famously went on a road trip around the USA.

Returned after 6 months with one of those cardboard disposable cameras. - 6 photos taken. :mellow::)

Having said that ,who am I to speak? - I didn't take any of the kiosk either. :)

What a change in just 4 days.

In my pictures taken on Saturday there were no tram tracks, but in Stuarts taken on the following Wednesday there they are.

Its like waiting for a bus, nothing much seems to have happened at the bottom of the Moor for ages, then all of a sudden within a few days all this comes along.

Probably be different agin when I go down there this Saturday.

Yes it was different again.

Some bits of tram track showing but the longer sections shown in Stuarts pictures have already been moved.

Looks like I have already missed then in just 3 days, certainly not worth taking any more pictures :(

Yes it was different again.

Some bits of tram track showing but the longer sections shown in Stuarts pictures have already been moved.

Looks like I have already missed then in just 3 days, certainly not worth taking any more pictures :(

A week later and its different again.

Although the area is fenced off for public safety at least it was still possible to put your camera lens through the fencing rails (about 2" - 3" apart), or you could even hold your camera / mobile phone through the fence if you wanted to and it was small enough.

Well not any more, - they have lined the inside of the fence with some fine holed blue plastic net stuff with a mesh size of only a couple of mm. No way can you take a picture through that. you can see through it but not get a picture easily any more unless you can find a bit of a gap in the net, and then it may not be at the best viewpoint.

So what have those builders got to hide? <_<

A week later and its different again.

Although the area is fenced off for public safety at least it was still possible to put your camera lens through the fencing rails (about 2" - 3" apart), or you could even hold your camera / mobile phone through the fence if you wanted to and it was small enough.

Well not any more, - they have lined the inside of the fence with some fine holed blue plastic net stuff with a mesh size of only a couple of mm. No way can you take a picture through that. you can see through it but not get a picture easily any more unless you can find a bit of a gap in the net, and then it may not be at the best viewpoint.

So what have those builders got to hide? <_<

2 weeks later and it already looks like they have started to resurface part of the bottom of the Moor and have put in new "fittings".

Wonder exactly how this part of the Moor will look when its finished?

2 weeks later and it already looks like they have started to resurface part of the bottom of the Moor and have put in new "fittings".

Wonder exactly how this part of the Moor will look when its finished?

Is that MSC building still standing, the big ugly pyramid thing ? Don't remember what it's called now.

Is that MSC building still standing, the big ugly pyramid thing ? Don't remember what it's called now.

Yes it's still there,

I'm looking down on it as I type.

And here's a more recent development that stands nearby,

the Velocity Tower

I think it is scheduled to be demolished. I think Mike142sl knows more details about this place

I think it is scheduled to be demolished.

Is that a serious comment??

Doesn't seem that long since they built it.

Whatever happened to building quality buildings, in a sensible place, which had a life expectancy of more than a few decades. :angry: (And with basement or underground car parks - They seem to have managed to grasp that idea in America)

Whatever happened to building quality buildings, in a sensible place, which had a life expectancy of more than a few decades. :angry: (And with basement or underground car parks - They seem to have managed to grasp that idea in America)

See Mikes post #7 in the Moorfoot topic ......Link

If you walk down the Moor at present it's like December 1940 on one side! I'll try to get into town this week with the camera. It's going to be the replacement for the Castle Markets. Interestingly there seems to be growing interest, supported unofficially at least by ARCUS at the Uni, for the remains of the castle to be uncovered and made into a feature when the old markets are demolished. There have been a few of letters in the Sheffield Telegraph lately, all in support. perhaps this Forum should throw its weight behind the movement?

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/letter...stle.4297153.jp

cant wait for the castle market to come down ( got some good memories of that place when i was a kid ) hope they can excavate has much of the castle as possible :)

To us its the "Aztec Temple", as unlike most Egyptian pyramids (with a couple of exceptions) it is a stepped pyramid in the Aztec style.

Sometimes we call it "Dalek City" due to its uncanny resemblance to the city on Skaro where the original Dr. Who & the Daleks adventure took place (1963 -4) and which was remade in the first Dr. Who film starring Peter Cushing and Roy Castle (1965).

However I sometimes think it is called Dalek City after the south of England workers who were moved there. They were a bit like Daleks, - they tried to EXTERMINATE the appearance of Moorfoot, EXTERMINATE traffic on the Moor, EXTERMINATE lower house prices in the area for first time buyers, EXTERMINATE.... :o

Unfortunately it is still standing and still causing an ugly road block at the bottom of the Moor :(

If you follow Stuarts link to mikes post then the post immediately before mikes by me contains one of my pictures of the MSC building under construction.

It is dated 1979.

So if they know it down tomorrow we will still have had to put up with it for 30 years :(

That's more than a life sentence these days lol

cant wait for the castle market to come down ( got some good memories of that place when i was a kid ) hope they can excavate has much of the castle as possible :)

I will sadly miss Castle Market when it finally goes.

Castle Market has a certain "life" and character which more modern versions of this style of market (e.g. the one in Crystal Peaks) are sadly lacking.

Castle is at least a "proper market"

To get a bit of an idea what I mean by this takle a look at this thread

Castle Market

And here's a more recent development that stands nearby,

the Velocity Tower

I can't remember if I have asked this one before.

If a building is a stationary, static structure which doesn't move about why is it called the VELOCITY tower?

Who decided to call it the velocity tower and why?

Just seems a very strange choice of name.

I can't remember if I have asked this one before.

If a building is a stationary, static structure which doesn't move about why is it called the VELOCITY tower?

Who decided to call it the velocity tower and why?

Just seems a very strange choice of name.

I came across this ..

Originally planned by CALA and called the Eclipse,

this scheme was shelved by the developer following the successful sale of the majority of the apartments off-plan.

CALA sold the site on to Velocity who with minor adjustments to the facade and a 1.425m increase in height,

started to build the scheme in 2007 before applying for planning permission for their design revision.

Broadway Malyan worked on the original design with revisions made for Velocity by Axis Architecture.

Link to www.skyscrapernews.com

I came across this ..

Originally planned by CALA and called the Eclipse,

this scheme was shelved by the developer following the successful sale of the majority of the apartments off-plan.

CALA sold the site on to Velocity who with minor adjustments to the facade and a 1.425m increase in height,

started to build the scheme in 2007 before applying for planning permission for their design revision.

Broadway Malyan worked on the original design with revisions made for Velocity by Axis Architecture.

Link to www.skyscrapernews.com

Great find Steve. Still a stupid name for a building, how about Nomad Housing up here in the frozen North - what were they selling ? Tents ?