Recent developments

RichardB

They used the same techniques on the tower at the "Waitrose" roundabout, the yellow platforms seem to there whilst the crane drops the interiors onto them.

When they built the Travel Inn nearby on Young St the rooms came complete on lorries, from Germany I think. They were just slotted in like a giant construction set.

So the qualifications you need to build this type of building is experience with Meccano and Lego. - I could do that!!

Is work still progressing on this ?

Did they decide what to do about the finish, is it the nice (original plan) glass or has the credit crunch/recession brought forward the idea of chipboard or MDF ?

Is work still progressing on this ?

Did they decide what to do about the finish, is it the nice (original plan) glass or has the credit crunch/recession brought forward the idea of chipboard or MDF ?

The last I heard it was a compromise, who knows what we will get

Came into Sheffield last night to have a look at the Christmas lights, Phoo!! not very impressive, but I took a couple of shots from behind the station while I was there.

Carlie167's night shots inspired me to take a lok for myself, at night, now that Christmas and its lights are long behind us. One of the pictures appears to show the Pond's Forge "Vitual Campus" which is very impressive at night and no photograph can do it justice as each of its 3 floors lights up a different colour and the colours change every few seconds. A little piece of Blackpool in Sheffield lol

While I was at it I did this night time panorama of Sheaf Street from a location between Midland Station tram stop and Park Square Roundabout.

Guest skeets

I last lived in Sheffield in 1964 and my last visit to the city is over 15 years ago but looking at what this once great city looks like now gives me no encouragement to return.

I am proud of my Sheffield heritage but looking at what has been done to the great city I remember I have no desire to return even though I now live only 30 minutes away.

HI Alantoft , Wecome, you have described my sentiments exactly, l feel depressed when l go back, and if it was'nt for one of my son's and my daughter and her family l certainly would not go back again, Skeets.

The Tower has progressed a bit in 4 months

Steves original 28/9/08

My update 28/01/09

Steve hope you don't mind me using this

Another 3 months on

Steves original 28/9/08

My update 28/01/09

Today's update 23/04/09

Why does every city have to look like every other one? How are they training architects and planners these days, witha Lego set, or is more what's on your CV before you find another project And the councillors that vote them in should all be replaced at the next election

Another 3 months on

Steves original 28/9/08

My update 28/01/09

Today's update 23/04/09

It looks from the most recent picture that the tower has now reached its final height, is that 31 storeys?

Another 2 months on

Steves original 28/9/08

My update 28/01/09

My update 23/04/09

Today 25/06/09

he he

"Lift Service,

You are currently in the up lift on floor 7

We will be stopping on floors 31, 127, 263, 512, 772, 986, 1023, 1255,....................{etc}

Persons riding in the lift will need to pressurised spacesuits and breathing apparatus above floor 2500

This lift terminates at the moon,

Thank You

{BEEP}

How tall does a skyscraper like this have to be before

1}

It becomes a recognised danger to the Civil Aviation Authority and Air Traffic Control?

2}

It becomes a target for a 9/11 style terrorist attack or even a "Towering Inferno" style arson attack?

Answers on a postcard please to

SHEFFIELD CITY COUNCIL

CITY CENTRE PLANNING DEPARTMENT

TOWN HALL

PINSTONE STREET

S1 1AA

Amazing how gullable people are, - especially those who don't live in Sheffield or visit it very often.

As you can probably tell from my prevoius 2 posts I was very impressed with SteveHB's bit of photoshopping of the image to make that tower ridiculously tall, -a real "skyscraper".

In fact I was so impressed I printed a copy off and pinned it up above my desk in the staffroom at work.

Amazingly people who saw it thought it was a real photograph of a real tower that height.

Because I regularly display other pictures of Sheffield (mainly from Sheffield History) at work and they all know I am a Sheffielder (the strong local accent gives me away every time). They knew it was in Sheffield but thought it was a genuine real photograph of the tower!!!! (These are well educated teachers I am talking about, not kids).

They were so convinced by it that I didn't have the heart to tell them that if it really was that tell you would probably be able to see it from where we were sat, - approximately 17 miles away from the tower near Clay Cross.

Amazing how gullable people are, - especially those who don't live in Sheffield or visit it very often.

As you can probably tell from my prevoius 2 posts I was very impressed with SteveHB's bit of photoshopping of the image to make that tower ridiculously tall, -a real "skyscraper".

In fact I was so impressed I printed a copy off and pinned it up above my desk in the staffroom at work.

Amazingly people who saw it thought it was a real photograph of a real tower that height.

Because I regularly display other pictures of Sheffield (mainly from Sheffield History) at work and they all know I am a Sheffielder (the strong local accent gives me away every time). They knew it was in Sheffield but thought it was a genuine real photograph of the tower!!!! (These are well educated teachers I am talking about, not kids).

They were so convinced by it that I didn't have the heart to tell them that if it really was that tell you would probably be able to see it from where we were sat, - approximately 17 miles away from the tower near Clay Cross.

You rotton sod Dave! he he

Wait while the Big Wheel is erected, 'If it ever comes off'

We will have to knock up a treble sized photo.

;-)

You rotton sod Dave! he he

Wait while the Big Wheel is erected, 'If it ever comes off'

We will have to knock up a treble sized photo.

;-)

he he Ha Nothing changes with you males. he he

Shops in Sheffield which have been left empty while a recession-hit redevelopment project is on hold have been filled with works of art.

BBC NEWS

"Sheffield City Council said the art would be changed every month"

And I wonder how long that's going to last? :rolleyes: