Recent developments

RichardB

I came across this ..

Originally planned by CALA and called the Eclipse,

this scheme was shelved by the developer following the successful sale of the majority of the apartments off-plan.

CALA sold the site on to Velocity who with minor adjustments to the facade and a 1.425m increase in height,

started to build the scheme in 2007 before applying for planning permission for their design revision.

Broadway Malyan worked on the original design with revisions made for Velocity by Axis Architecture.

Link to www.skyscrapernews.com

Thanks for the info on that one Steve.

Must admit I agree with Richard that I think its a stupid name for building.

2 weeks later and it already looks like they have started to resurface part of the bottom of the Moor and have put in new "fittings".

Wonder exactly how this part of the Moor will look when its finished?

Another week and its different again.

They have now started repave the bottom section where the tram lines were exposed so these have now disappeared from view once again.

Another week and its different again.

They have now started repave the bottom section where the tram lines were exposed so these have now disappeared from view once again.

Hang on a minute

They take the flag stones up

Remove the old trams tracks

Then put down new flag stones

Well you get value for money with Sheffield Council

Hang on a minute

They take the flag stones up

Remove the old trams tracks

Then put down new flag stones

Well you get value for money with Sheffield Council

They also removed the stalls of the Moorfoot Market.

These were designed as "permenant" and were built in to the road so I suppose they had to take the paving up to get to remove them.

Work still provressing at Moorfoot.

They have now started relaying the bottom section of pavers.

A redevelopment site sign says that they are going to install new stalls to replace the old ones, - but better.

The site of the demolished shops has now been cleared and looks almost ready for building on again.

I think this is to be the site of the new Sheffield Moor Market.

If it is, then after it opens as a large market rhe next step may be to close down Castle Market :(

Work still progressing at Moorfoot.

They have now started relaying the bottom section of pavers.

A redevelopment site sign says that they are going to install new stalls to replace the old ones, - but better.

The site of the demolished shops has now been cleared and looks almost ready for building on again.

I think this is to be the site of the new Sheffield Moor Market.

If it is, then after it opens as a large market rhe next step may be to close down Castle Market :(

They're working on it on Saturday mornings now :o

Must be trying to finish it before Christmas he he

They're working on it on Saturday mornings now :o

Must be trying to finish it before Christmas he he

This picture illustrates a sore point nicely for me.

There they are laying all this block paving and at the same time allowing real historic cobbled streets to be ruined with Tarmac patches. :(

This picture illustrates a sore point nicely for me.

There they are laying all this block paving and at the same time allowing real historic cobbled streets to be ruined with Tarmac patches. :(

A sore point with a lot of us vox.

As residents and local council tax payers we seem to have very little voice in what happens at the town planning department these days and they will come up with their own little schemes to develop the City, many of which are unpopular.

My own personal gripe with them is their idea that any building over 30 years old and over 2 floors high should be demolished. Far too many good, servicable buildings which were just in need of a bit of maintenance seem to have been demolished in the name of progress.

Guest stevemushroom

Is that MSC building still standing, the big ugly pyramid thing ? Don't remember what it's called now.

Just wonder if ANYONE has seen that new book about Sheffield Shops and places from the 1970s?

It is full of pictures/photos and has JUST come out about two or three weeks ago.

Some excellent memorabilia and photos in there...Pauldens, Redgates, etc, etc.

Dont remember what it is called...but has a bright yellow cover, is paperback and about a tenner I think.

Bookshops, waterstones, whsmith, etc SHOULD definately have it in.

Sheffield was different then...better, I think.

Just wonder if ANYONE has seen that new book about Sheffield Shops and places from the 1970s?

It is full of pictures/photos and has JUST come out about two or three weeks ago.

Some excellent memorabilia and photos in there...Pauldens, Redgates, etc, etc.

Dont remember what it is called...but has a bright yellow cover, is paperback and about a tenner I think.

Bookshops, waterstones, whsmith, etc SHOULD definately have it in.

Sheffield was different then...better, I think.

Welcome to the forum Steve,

could this be the book?

Sheffield-in-the-60s-and 70s

by Ron Sanderson

I think Steve means this book

Sheffield Shops and Shopping

I saw it the othe day in Waterstones, but did not have time to look.

Lunchtime task to have a look

Visited Waterstones at lunchtime, the book is called

Shopaholics Guide to 1970's Sheffield.

Steve mentioned the magic word in his post "Redgates", there are 2 interior photo's of the Furnival Gate Redgates.

Visited Waterstones at lunchtime, the book is called

Shopaholics Guide to 1970's Sheffield.

Steve mentioned the magic word in his post "Redgates", there are 2 interior photo's of the Furnival Gate Redgates.

So did you actually BUY the book then or just stand about in the shop until you had read it from cover to cover? lol

Guest stevemushroom

I think Steve means this book

Sheffield Shops and Shopping

I saw it the othe day in Waterstones, but did not have time to look.

Lunchtime task to have a look

Yes. Thats it. Sheffield Shops and Shopping....from the 1970s period I think. The other book looks surprisingly similar in appearance.!

The book I am referring to, has only just been released, I think about 3 or 4 weeks ago....it has something to do with that Neil Anderson guy....who wrote the book about Sheffield Limit Club too.

Thanks for your welcomes.

Have just been looking on the Old Firth Park School (Brushes) website and there are some interesting photos there too.....although that is not City Centre, of course.

Yes. Thats it. Sheffield Shops and Shopping....from the 1970s period I think. The other book looks surprisingly similar in appearance.!

The book I am referring to, has only just been released, I think about 3 or 4 weeks ago....it has something to do with that Neil Anderson guy....who wrote the book about Sheffield Limit Club too.

Thanks for your welcomes.

Have just been looking on the Old Firth Park School (Brushes) website and there are some interesting photos there too.....although that is not City Centre, of course.

Welcome stevemushroom,

Stuart0742 and myself are quite keen to promote Sheffield schools on this site.

Although our own school is bvery well represented with its own quite extensive topic unfortunately most other schools in sheffield only get a passing mention here and there.

We would love to hear more about Firth Park and I am sure many other members would too.

Ideally every school in Sheffield that our members webt to should have its own history thread.

Looks like the Big Wheel could be rolling on into 2011, The Star

That big wheel certainly looks pretty impressive but every time I go past there is never anybody on it so they can't possibly be making a profit out of it.

... and with the prices they are charging no wonder. :o

Just under 4 years ro build, the scaffolding and cranes have been removed in the last few weeks

Just under 4 years ro build, the scaffolding and cranes have been removed in the last few weeks

But the thingamajig on top still remains,

photograph taken fifteen minutes ago

But the thingamajig on top still remains,

photograph taken fifteen minutes ago

Now how will they get that down, have we discussed this before <_<

Now how will they get that down, have we discussed this before <_<

How about useing it for Bungee jumps!!!

How about useing it for Bungee jumps!!!

I have been thinking about this, perhaps they will leave it up there, they will need something for maintenance purposes.

Keep an eye on it Steve