Recent developments

RichardB

No hiding from it

For more on the brown cladding look in the Sheffield Websites (bottom of the list on homepage) Skyscrapernews.com thread.

Quite an interesting article in the link in post #1 and a novel nickname for this building

Looking over to Shirecliffe from Firth Park the white building is the Sheffield United Academy at Shirecliffe. My mum lives nearby and since this was built her dog has found a large number of expensive leather footballs in Roe Wood just below - which confirms why they need an academy! lol

For more on the brown cladding look in the Sheffield Websites (bottom of the list on homepage) Skyscrapernews.com thread.

Quite an interesting article in the link in post #1 and a novel nickname for this building

A bit misty but another view ruined from the top of Wincobank Hill!

Guest carlie167

Came into Sheffield last night to have a look at the Christmas lights, Phoo!! not very impressive, but I took a couple of shots from behind the station while I was there.

I can remember similar concerns and distain being voiced about the construction of the Hallam Towers Hotel - now empty, and the Hallamshire Hospital. Both stuck out higher than anything in the City at the time and both were out of town. I wonder how long it will be before we stop noticing this one.

Guest plain talker

I can remember similar concerns and distain being voiced about the construction of the Hallam Towers Hotel - now empty, and the Hallamshire Hospital. Both stuck out higher than anything in the City at the time and both were out of town. I wonder how long it will be before we stop noticing this one.

really? I thought the University arts Tower (1964?) was built before either of the other two towers mentioned (Hallamshire Hospital -completed 1979- and the Hallam Tower)

Came into Sheffield last night to have a look at the Christmas lights, Phoo!! not very impressive, but I took a couple of shots from behind the station while I was there.

Yes, every Christmas we seem to comment on the lights not being as good as the previous year and that they were much better and much more extensive across the City when we were younger.

A couple of my then and now shots, the ones of Fargate and Pinstone Street, all taken in December show the deterioration in the standard of the lights.

Good news is that Stuart0742 has in his archive some colour transparencies of the Christmas lights from 1976 which we are just in the process of digitising and possibly setting up as some "Christmas Illuminations" then and now shots, or just using them as they are for the nostalgia value of looking at decent Christmas lights again.

OK, so Sheffield isn't Blackpool or Las Vegas and the Council reckon they're skint and can't spend money on lights but surely a City the size os Sheffield can do much better than the current display.

And here "it" is again, a bit bigger now, but still doesnt look much better!!

What is it with brown cladding!! It had a chance of looking good before the changes, but now!! Phoo. :(

Much has been said about the "Cheesegrater" carpark, here is yet another modern design of carpark, I belive it lights up blue at night! This is just above and opposite the new Fire Station.

Panorama looking over Town,

taken from Shrewsbury Rd (behind Midland Rail Staition)

The Tower has progressed a bit in 4 months

Steves original 28/9/08

My update 28/01/09

Steve hope you don't mind me using this

It doesn't seem to have progressed very much in the last four weeks though - is it still being worked on ?

Steves original 28/9/08

My update 28/01/09

Steve hope you don't mind me using this

The tower does seem to have grown a lot in 4 months along with a fair few other changes in the City if you look closely enough. Apart from the obvious and idiotic changes like "a tram has just arrived 4 months late" and "all the leaves have gone off the trees on the left hand side, - they nick anything these days" there is other evidence of changes in the buildings other than the tower.

So how tall will it be when its finished?

The tower does seem to have grown a lot in 4 months along with a fair few other changes in the City if you look closely enough. Apart from the obvious and idiotic changes like "a tram has just arrived 4 months late" and "all the leaves have gone off the trees on the left hand side, - they nick anything these days" there is other evidence of changes in the buildings other than the tower.

So how tall will it be when its finished?

At the moment it looks like 26 half completed floors with the lift shaft going up to 31!

At the moment it looks like 26 half completed floors with the lift shaft going up to 31!

So its not going to rival the classic 1930's American skyscrapers like the Empire State and the Wriggleys building then, and its certainly nowhere near that monstrosity they are building in the middle east which reckons on being the tallest building in the World when complete.

I just wondered because on another thread about this tower on this site there is a link to it on a site called skyscrapers.com, its the thread with the article that indignantly refers to it as the "turd tower" because of its colour.

Photo of completed tower Link

32 Floors according to Skscrapernews.com

Photo of completed tower Link

32 Floors according to Skscrapernews.com

Sorry Stuart, it was skyscrapernews.com and not skyscrapers.com.

Interesting link though, that finished tower looks quite a sleek and elegant building, not a "turd tower" at all, probably a building to be proud of and an iconic image of a modern 21st century City.

I uploaded it next year :)

Bit dissapointed the bus was blury though

Are you sure its next year and not even further into the future?

We are informed that work on the tower is currently in dispute so that will push its completion date on a bit.

We are informed that work on the tower is currently in dispute so that will push its completion date on a bit.

But will next year ever come as in 2010 next year will be 2011 :)

Allow me to quote you from this site Stuart,-

"In my mind I am still 17 so it is always 1973"

Of course its always 1973, where else do you think I keep getting all those 1973 photographs from?

I've seen that other thread about the BBC4 programme on Sheffield on 5 September 1973 by the way and have set a reminder to record it (see my post to that effect)

Much has been said about the "Cheesegrater" carpark, here is yet another modern design of carpark, I belive it lights up blue at night! This is just above and opposite the new Fire Station.

The modern look of Sheffield along Arundel Gate.

On the left of the street, from close to distant we have

The Remmington Shaver

The NCP (It stands for No Cars Please)

The Cheese Grater

The Chocolate Bar (aka Turd Tower to some people)

It would appear from this side to rear view of the tower that it is being built hollow and then bits are just being slotted in from the back, - perhaps its not a tower, its just some sort of giant storage rack!

It would appear from this side to rear view of the tower that it is being built hollow and then bits are just being slotted in from the back, - perhaps its not a tower, its just some sort of giant storage rack!

They used the same techniques on the tower at the "Waitrose" roundabout, the yellow platforms seem to there whilst the crane drops the interiors onto them.

When they built the Travel Inn nearby on Young St the rooms came complete on lorries, from Germany I think. They were just slotted in like a giant construction set.