Recent developments

RichardB

Looking at you're photos Dunsby I am now totally lost!

The only one i recognize is on the Wicker looking at what use to be Willey St,

glad I don't drive anymore.

All these were taken with in a few yards of each other, to someone who can remember older Sheffield, it is chaos trying to drive through this area, no idea how strangers manage.

Here some new(ish) flats or are they offices ? from the Canal Basis obscuring the old-new flats and the church on Park Hill.

are they offices and a hotel

SKEETS

Some great photos, Thamk you, obviously, I don't recognize any of 'em and I'm having difficulty placing some of them - Great to see Derek Dooley Way.

Looking forward to the Gleadless to Upperthorpe Boulevard and other futuristic buildings.

Sheffields I Quarter: http://www.urbani.co.uk/default.asp?MIS=82

Viewed through the mucky windows of the market ...... rumour has it that the old gents toilets on the end of Blonk Street are to be converted into a sandwich bar with a balcony over the river .... nice.

I agree about the red bricked monstrosity, rip it down and put up something that will last.

I took this shot from Holywell Road, Grimesthorpe. Nothing much of inote save for that half - finished building ruining the horizon.

I took this shot from Holywell Road, Grimesthorpe. Nothing much of inote save for that half - finished building ruining the horizon.

Is'nt there anywhere in Sheffield now, where you are not confronted by this monster. Walked past it this morning only another 14 floors to go.

Is'nt there anywhere in Sheffield now, where you are not confronted by this monster. Walked past it this morning only another 14 floors to go.

Might seem a stupid question but how will they dismantle the crane which is at the top and bring it down?

Might seem a stupid question but how will they dismantle the crane which is at the top and bring it down?

That's a good question Dunsbyowl !

I have watched one being erected & dismantled from ground level.

But how are they going to get the extending thingiemigigg up to the top of the building?

But how are they going to get the extending thingiemigigg up to the top of the building?

As can be seen from Steve's earlier photo, both cranes are external from the building. I assume as they build each floor these cranes lift the "extending thingiemigigg" up a floor and so on, once at the top the "extending thingiemigigg" will be lifted down by the same crane.

I was in the Hallam University building opposite when they built the larger of the 2 cranes, they simply used a bigger crane to do this. It looked quite scary.

Have you seen the blokes standing on the end of the top bit of that crane :o ??? Rather them than me.

As can be seen from Steve's earlier photo, both cranes are external from the building. I assume as they build each floor these cranes lift the "extending thingiemigigg" up a floor and so on, once at the top the "extending thingiemigigg" will be lifted down by the same crane.

Um ... I can't wait for that to happen!

looks like being another long stint of standing in the Bathtub with the window wide open.

I was in the Hallam University building opposite when they built the larger of the 2 cranes, they simply used a bigger crane to do this. It looked quite scary.

They do have a small crane type thing right on top of the building,

I saw it working a couple of days ago.

Not a fantastic photo due to bad light and it was taken through a window.

Um ... I can't wait for that to happen!

looks like being another long stint of standing in the Bathtub with the window wide open.

You can get arrested for that sort of thing! lol

What an eyesore and that car park thing is an abomination - how could any planning department let these through? :angry:

Steve

I think the small crane type thing on top is the thingy that pumps concrete to the bit they are working on.

See tonights Star, the uncertainty continues

The Star 13 Nov 2008

They can't pull it down it's not a hundred years old ! he he

and they certainly wont blow it up due to the damage that would be caused

to surrounding buildings,

so what about turning it into a climbing wall for the students?

And leave the crane standing 'that could be used for bungee jumping'

lol

They can't pull it down it's not a hundred years old ! he he

and they certainly wont blow it up due to the damage that would be caused

to surrounding buildings,

so what about turning it into a climbing wall for the students?

And leave the crane standing 'that could be used for bungee jumping'

lol

Given Sheffield Councils record anything could happen, perhaps they will get KIER to finish it

What an eyesore and that car park thing is an abomination - how could any planning department let these through? :angry:

I love the car park! (apart from the same old same old green glass at the bottom).

I can't wait for it to be finished and lit up inside at night, so the metal bits in the cladding reflect the light in different directions. (a Borg Cube no less he he ). The architect must be a trekkie. (not that I am one you understand he he but my children used to be)

Hugh

I know his isn't that recent but if you can remember the old Brushes building - how on earth did this happen? Imagine living across the road from this??? :angry:

Guest carlie167

And here "it" is again, a bit bigger now, but still doesnt look much better!!

What is it with brown cladding!! It had a chance of looking good before the changes, but now!! Phoo. :(

And here "it" is again, a bit bigger now, but still doesnt look much better!!

What is it with brown cladding!! It had a chance of looking good before the changes, but now!! Phoo. :(

The brown cladding is sore point with Sheffield Council, they say it was not on the original plans. The council are sticking to their guns and demanding the cladding is "as per planning consent".

The developers are arguing there has not been a material change!

The brown cladding is sore point with Sheffield Council, they say it was not on the original plans. The council are sticking to their guns and demanding the cladding is "as per planning consent".

The developers are arguing there has not been a material change!

No hiding from it