Recent developments

RichardB

Upps .....

Stuart0742 had a post in here that was duplicated,

so I removed the duplicate post and it took them both out. :o

Sorry Stuart :(

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit, see Stuarts re-post below .. :P

Is that St Vincents on the second one ?

Nice pictures, many thanks.

It's actually a zoom of the first one, looking across Netherthorpe.

I last lived in Sheffield in 1964 and my last visit to the city is over 15 years ago but looking at what this once great city looks like now gives me no encouragement to return.

I am proud of my Sheffield heritage but looking at what has been done to the great city I remember I have no desire to return even though I now live only 30 minutes away.

Sadly your loss I feel. The city centre is shaping up nicely in my view. Barkers Pool, Peace Gardens, and Winter Garden are all excellent places to relax at lunchtime. Further on to Tudor Square which is about to get a facelift then through to Fargate and down to the Cathedral. I'm more than happy to have stayed.

Not forgetting places like Devonshire Green and the next stage will be the redevelopment of the Grosvenor Hotel and John Lewis area in a year or two.

Took this picture from the stairwell at the back of the office block I work in, looking North (ish). Shows a few building sites which are now complete as appartments and offices. The site on Broad lane below the HSE building is now at foundation stage with a tower crane installed.

Good photos mike142sl,

what's the strange looking building with the rocket launchers on top of it?

This also appears in you're pics:

Looking down Hawley St.

Good photos mike142sl,

what's the strange looking building with the rocket launchers on top of it?

This also appears in you're pics:

Looking down Hawley St.

Steve

Looks like part of the Health and Safety Executive complex off Broad Lane.

HSE

Here are some I took on the Moor a couple of weeks ago. The first was taken just over a year ago from around the same spot.

And a couple more looking the other way

Great Photo Steve

That view has changed of the years

I agree, the 2 panoramic shots that SteveHB has put on of recent developments in Sheffield are fantastic

But to see how much the view has changed over the last few years here is a panorama I took in October 2003 from the bottom of Norfolk Park. You can probably also tell how much digital photography has changed in the same period as mine is nowhere near as high resolution, but even so the change in appearance of the buildings in central Sheffield is quite striking

I agree, the 2 panoramic shots that SteveHB has put on of recent developments in Sheffield are fantastic

But to see how much the view has changed over the last few years here is a panorama I took in October 2003 from the bottom of Norfolk Park. You can probably also tell how much digital photography has changed in the same period as mine is nowhere near as high resolution, but even so the change in appearance of the buildings in central Sheffield is quite striking

Couldn't resist doing this DaveH,

hope you don't mind.

My shot is taken from a lower level in Norfolk Park than your's was.

Couldn't resist doing this DaveH,

hope you don't mind.

My shot is taken from a lower level in Norfolk Park than your's was.

What a fantastic comparative pair of panoramas, thats brilliant! A fantastic idea to put the 2 together like this SteveHB. Almost the same viewpoint and 5 years apart, - just look at how many changes there have been. Those Claywood flats have gone and there are new buildings appearing everywhere. If you had left Sheffield 5 years ago and came back now I bet you would hardly recognise the place. This pair of pictures together perfectly sumarises the title of this strand "recent developments"

For information my shot was taken from the bottom section of the circular roadway inside Norfolk Park somewhere between the old bowling green and the point where the road forks to go down to the Granville Road entrance and at a point where there was a gap in the trees. The trees frame the top left hand edge of the picture and have no leaves as it was taken in October.

Your Panorama from this position is as good as the one from Shrewsbury Road but you have not posted this one previously. I quite like looking at these panoramic shots, they are a good way to show an overall impression of the city as illustrated here.

I think there is some fantastic photography displayed on the forum recntly ,but l still cannot say the same of the -orange box architecture of the modern day, it reminds me of the days of making garages and flat roofed buildings out of cardboard scrounged from shops ,when l was a kid ,and saying to Ma l shall build real buildings like these, when l grow up , possibly the modern day architects did the same and fullfilled their childhood dreams can't say much [my son is one of them.] Skeets PS, I am verysurprised [ this ] was unmentioned, a link to the answer can be found in the heads of these few words , so look no further.

Skeets .

I'm hearing there has been a lot of demolishing and rebuilding going on of late. Any photo's/updates please ?

I bet you have never seen The Stone House looking this good.

If you have a good picture of the Town Hall, treasure it. We now have an oil rig growing around the back of it.

Transport seems to be changing too.

I bet you have never seen The Stone House looking this good.

Someone ought to tell them they're missing an "E" (you can't get the staff these days)

Must admit it looks good though.

bet you have never seen The Stone House looking this good.

Did they just take overs off and the scaffold down as it was all covered up when I was back a couple of weeks ago

Here some new(ish) flats or are they offices ? from the Canal Basis obscuring the old-new flats and the church on Park Hill.

Parkway to Shalesmoor aka Derek Dooley Way ! My one attempt to reach my mum's house in Pitsmoor was a disaster and after narrowly missing hitting a couple of cars and being crushed by a bus I ended up in Attercliffe!

Parkway to Shalesmoor aka Derek Dooley Way ! My one attempt to reach my mum's house was a disaster and after narrowly missing hitting a couple of cars and being crushed by a bus I ended up in Attercliffe!

And the other side of the Wicker Arches beolw Spital Hill

And the other side of the Wicker Arches beolw Spital Hill

Looking at you're photos Dunsby I am now totally lost!

The only one i recognize is on the Wicker looking at what use to be Willey St,

glad I don't drive anymore.