Recent developments

RichardB

I'm hearing there has been a lot of demolishing and rebuilding going on of late. Any photo's/updates please ?

If you walk down the Moor at present it's like December 1940 on one side! I'll try to get into town this week with the camera. It's going to be the replacement for the Castle Markets. Interestingly there seems to be growing interest, supported unofficially at least by ARCUS at the Uni, for the remains of the castle to be uncovered and made into a feature when the old markets are demolished. There have been a few of letters in the Sheffield Telegraph lately, all in support. perhaps this Forum should throw its weight behind the movement?

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/letter...stle.4297153.jp

I'm hearing there has been a lot of demolishing and rebuilding going on of late. Any photo's/updates please ?

Where to start ........ they do say "Sheffield will be nice when its finished" ....... so heres a few photos from my Sunday morning mooch around town.

I've noticed they've restored the buildings at the bottom of Snig Hill at long last, "Corporation Buildings" perhaps?

The newer part of the old sorting office on Flat Street as gone.

I wonder if this is where my missing mail is.

Eyre Street (across from the new fire HQ) has acquired a new multi storey car park, it does'nt look to bad in this photo but when the sun goes in, it turns the colour of dung.

Another multi storey on the site of the old "Yorkshire Grey" pub, now this one I like the look of and it seems to have got its nick-name already, "The Sugar Cube"

From Furnival Gate with the growing "St. Paul's Tower" next door, only another 24 floors to go.

The same view from December 2006

Guest carlie167

Brilliant photos Dr Stanley, Pity the Winter Gardens is covered up in the last one by the sugar cube!

These are some of my photos taken in the last week.

This is a photo of Velocity taken from M floor of the Hallamshire Hospital.

Back of the bottom of the Moor last week.

Student flats being built near Meadow St.This was taken about six weeks ago.

Looking at all the new multi storey car parks raises the question, is it still going to cost an arm and a leg to park in the city centre?? I feel this is one of the main reasons behind the demise of downtown. While ever you can park for free at Meadowhall you will fail to attract shoppers elsewhere

Was in Meersbrook Park this morning and the view over Sheffield is fantastic from up there,

so I had a go at making a panorama looking over the City.

All coments on a postcard please .. :-)

First I peered at the tiny picture, then worked out I had to click on it, then got a bigger picture which expolded up in size ! <Idiot>

What is the thing with the blue dome please ?

Great picture by the way !

After a second look I hardly know anywhere !

Great work, please go for more walks/drives/Red light district cruises and generate more of these ! Thanks.

I was once accosted by A Lady of the Night near The Green Lane Works/Bowling Green Street area, after asking "Are you looking for busineSS ?", then apologising (12 noon, works out time I suppose) she asked if I was lost - only by 160 years Luv - that confused her - George Arthur, where are you ?

I'd like to see the district now, but, I don't suppose it's an easy place to photograph - or is it ?

After a second look I hardly know anywhere !

Great work, please go for more walks/drives/Red light district cruises and generate more of these ! Thanks.

I was once accosted by A Lady of the Night near The Green Lane Works/Bowling Green Street area, after asking "Are you looking for busineSS ?", then apologising (12 noon, works out time I suppose) she asked if I was lost - only by 160 years Luv - that confused her - George Arthur, where are you ?

I'd like to see the district now, but, I don't suppose it's an easy place to photograph - or is it ?

Cornish Street,

Was in Meersbrook Park this morning and the view over Sheffield is fantastic from up there,

so I had a go at making a panorama looking over the City.

All coments on a postcard please .. :-)

Excellent shot when even when magnified by 400% the quality is brilliant.

Guest alantoft

I last lived in Sheffield in 1964 and my last visit to the city is over 15 years ago but looking at what this once great city looks like now gives me no encouragement to return.

I am proud of my Sheffield heritage but looking at what has been done to the great city I remember I have no desire to return even though I now live only 30 minutes away.

Panorama looking over Town,

taken from Shrewsbury Rd (behind Midland Rail Staition)

Nice Photo SteveHB but I would check the number plates of those cars.Seems to be a few of the same. lol

Panorama looking over Town,

taken from Shrewsbury Rd (behind Midland Rail Staition)

Great Photo Steve

That view has changed of the years

Took this picture from the stairwell at the back of the office block I work in, looking North (ish). Shows a few building sites which are now complete as appartments and offices. The site on Broad lane below the HSE building is now at foundation stage with a tower crane installed.