Where is this?

Guest TexxUK

Is this any help Shaun,

sorry we don't have a matching OS map to cover the SW corner.

OS maps #10, 92 and 94.

Link to map #94

Map #1 appears to fit the SW corner perfectly: it certainly has 106 The Wicker and part of the Royal Victoria Hotel on it.

Map #1 appears to fit the SW corner perfectly: it certainly has 106 The Wicker and part of the Royal Victoria Hotel on it.

Ouch !!

So it does MA, don't know where I was looking,

my computer is full of maps.

Thanks.

Is this any help Shaun,

sorry we don't have a matching OS map to cover the SW corner.

OS maps #10, 92 and 94.

Link to map #94

--------------------------

Edit: full map below

That's the place, Clyde Steel Works, Coopers used the arches to house machinery and the arches were still open to the elements. It must have been torture working there in winter.

As a Pye Bank lad the Wicker and area were my playground, but I was very surprised to find that firm hidden behind the Wicker facade.

That's the place, Clyde Steel Works, Coopers used the arches to house machinery and the arches were still open to the elements. It must have been torture working there in winter.

As a Pye Bank lad the Wicker and area were my playground, but I was very surprised to find that firm hidden behind the Wicker facade.

I'm a bit puzzled Shaun (and that dont take a lot) lol

Were the arches under the Victoria Station then?

I'm a bit puzzled Shaun (and that dont take a lot) lol

Were the arches under the Victoria Station then?

I think they were the Wicker side of arches that are seen on Sussex St but there must have been something in the middle to give 2 seperate areas. I found the whole scenario very overwhelming, almost like going back tothe 1800s.

Also looking at the map there seems to be some sort of embankment running towards town, parallel to the Wicker, I wonder if this was held in place by more arches. I think this set of arches were in brick as they were not going to be seen by many people.

Bricks to the left, some kind of transport related pointy-thing in the centre, arches and 110 and Karpol advert above the chaps heads, can't read the lower part of the sign...

I have looked all over for where this is and when it was taken, obviously it is number 110 somewhere but who knows what road, i am sure as many have said it looks like the Wicker but I am as stuck as everyone else who has tried to find the actual time and place...

Bricks to the left, some kind of transport related pointy-thing in the centre, arches and 110 and Karpol advert above the chaps heads, can't read the lower part of the sign...

The Karpol advert is Karpol car polish

Guest plain talker

The more I look at this picture, the more I think it is one of the arches under the wicker viaduct.

looking at the pic, and looking at the old map, (I think someone has said) the whitewashed building to the left of the men could possibly be the building that is still standing, here:-.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Wicker,+Sheffield&hl=en&ll=53.388745,-1.461128&spn=0.000286,0.001206&sll=53.395717,-1.499456&sspn=0.322637,0.617294&oq=the+wicker+&t=h&hnear=Wicker,+Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&z=20&layer=c&cbll=53.388745,-1.461384&panoid=uW2VH7SMOexGt8jgAlVDWQ&cbp=11,189.7,,0,-9.77

(on the Savile street side of the viaduct.)

Level with the top of the signal box, there is a change in the stone and brick, and you can clearly see at least three layers of stone "Shelving" (pediments?) which IMO correspond with the stone pediments on the wicker arches. (just look at googlemaps to the left of the pic given above)

also there's the signal box which corresponds with a signal box parked on the old map.

the open archway at the very right hand side, I think, corresponds with the opening opposite the trophy shop on the wicker side of the googlemap pic. (walker Street)

it doesn't correspond closely enough with the next bridge on, at Norfolk bridge, The pediments don't match, (there's only one ledge at the top)and the Norfolk bridge is built with a metal span. also the Norfolk Bridge/ Fred Mulley road viaduct, the arches are not uniform, like the ones in the old pic. they vary in height, and the ones nearest the pediments are too low for the ones at Norfolk bridge. On the pic, they are uniform in height, and the line of the arches is stepped, some back some forward.

If you follow that same viaduct to Princess street, again, it's an iron bridge, not a stone bridge, and there are no pediments. further on, it's more iron bridges by Bernard road.

The more I look at this picture, the more I think it is one of the arches under the wicker viaduct.

The more I look at the photograph, the more confused I get.

:)

@ Plain Talker

I have looked at what you have suggested, and i cant say i agree i am afraid.

The gap between the derelict building and the arches, to me, doesn't look big enough to allow for the 'yard' shown in the photograph.

From the angle the picture was taken, and to incorporate the arches bending off to the right away from the photographer, the picture would have to have been taken looking toward the Wicker itself, and the main 'Wicker arch' which spans the road which is literally just next to the now derelict building.

I cannot see where a signal box is or would have been as, as far as i can make out, from the distance from the photographer it would have been situated right above the main arch, wouldn't it?

Correct me if i am looking at this all wrong from your description, but thats what i have taken from what you have said, and looking at current maps, it doesnt quite fit.

I think its the best suggestion so far though, I myself havent got any other ideas.

I did have a theory about the arches that run alongside Fred Mulley Rd, but the arches themselves aren't tall enough as i think you pointed out.

Great thing Google maps, i can do all this while I am sat in work supposedly actually working! lol

Dan

Guest Mike Grist

Regarding the earlier replies and the theory about Bass lorries and beer barrels.

Is this a red herring?

Could the lorry in the distance have Bassetts on it and not Bass?

The signwriting style looks a lot like Bassetts livery.

Regarding the earlier replies and the theory about Bass lorries and beer barrels.

Is this a red herring?

Could the lorry in the distance have Bassetts on it and not Bass?

The signwriting style looks a lot like Bassetts livery.

Well spotted. You could be on to something there.

Compare the three. (I think the logos I've found are probably from around the same era as the photo)

Right then, time for Hilldweller to put his four pennerth in and make a fool of himself.

I've found a place with a yard, a railway viaduct to the left and a connection with beer barrels and possibly Bassetts.

If you look on Old-Maps in the direction of Malting Lane and it's junction with Effingham Street there appears to be a yard with what is marked on the 1950's map as a parcel depot on the left hand side of the yard.

A bridge over Furnival Street would appear to be at the end of the yard on the right.

Looking at my 1942 Kelly's it shows John Smiths Bottling Stores somewhere in the area.

The only thing I can't find is the signal box but the maps only show the outline of the Victoria Station without any detail.

By the way Malting Lane has been used nowadays to describe a new road on a different alignment.

Right forget all that rubbish, just found the place on Google maps and the viaduct is built of stone not bricks, back to the draining board.

HD

Further to my last post it would appear that the viaducts on the LNER line are all coursed dressed stone, while the viaducts on the LMS line are built with blue brick.

The viaduct in question is built in dark coloured brick and the arches have 5 courses of bricks laid as soldiers forming the arches

If you look at the viaduct along side Fred Mulley Way out past the old Attercliffe Station you can see similar arches with the same number of courses forming the arches.

Perhaps we ought to be looking along that line.

HD

This is the thread that first inspired me to join and start posting on SH.

It would be great to solve it!

What a great discussion over 6 years - lets keep going ;-)

Has the number 110 on the top right of the gate been mentioned / discussed?

Edit: Just found lots of discussion re:110 here - not sure how I missed it before!

Still an interesting discussion though.

Been waiting for registration approval to get the opportunity to offer the following observations and can now join in! 

The post by 'plain talker' on 21 Jan 2013 mentions an old map and signal box. In the thread 'Old Maps/Plans/Layouts' page 6 'SteveHB's post dated 17 October 2009 shows an extract of the OS 1905 published plan of Wicker Area.What I believe to be the original No 3 Signal Box is located at the NW side of the Station near to the start of Savile Street.The "new" No 3 Box came with electrification (1954) and in the OP's photo the 'old' box appears to be manned and in use.

Go to picturesheffield-S12377; zoom in and look at the bottom RH corner to see the (1920-1939 period) location of the No3 box.

Turning to the '110' issue,it is likely that access/egress problems to/from the yard on the south side (where you would expect to find 110) precluded its use hence a "back door" option was the answer (no doubt advised to the Post Office and other interested parties).Assuming that the tunnels under the station are indeed suitable and, by reference to SteveHB's post of 21 January 2013:- picturesheffield S10685, supports this assumption.Looking at the 1/1250 plan again shows the alignment in this case to be feasible.

Where the Wicker terminates and becomes either Spital Hill or Savile Street could no doubt be ascertained from old Highway Records held by the Council though for our interest we can reasonably assume a line drawn between the two 'revision points' (rp on the 1/1250) on the Warehouse on Spital Hill and the Garage on Savile street as defining the changeover point.That gatepost would still have been on the Wicker!

With regard to the date,definitely before 1954 as the signal box is not on the 1954 published OS 1/1250,so could easily be late 40's as suggested by the OP.

Looking at a program on the telly and noticed the brickwork was similar to the arches at Leeds.