Where is this?

Guest TexxUK

Guest TexxUK

Hello folks!

Sorry I've not posted for a couple of weeks. I've been getting looked after by the nice people at Rotherham General Hospital. The old 'ticker' is falling to bits. The swinging brick's still swinging but there's a couple more knots in the string.

Fantastic efforts by people trying to identify the location continue to amaze me. Thanks everybody (I'm learning lots about viaducts).

We're off to Scotland in the morning for a couple of weeks so I'll not be posting.

Again, thanks everybody,

TexxUK (Terry)

P.S. I don't think so Skeets, but you never know.

I have resized the original photo, so that you people on here can take a closer look.

Looks like Sheffield District Railway, between Brightside Junction and West Tinsley Station. This line was later called the L.M.S. & L.N.E.R. Joint Railway. Tinsley West Station was further down the line just before Sheffield Road and the photo was taken looking in that direction from what is now Meadowhall Drive, formerly Vulcan Road.

So its the arch going into town, now I know what you mean. Bit further down the road from where I was. Victoria station 'Holiday Inn' is directly above. ;-)

I think Transit is right just done a search on picture Sheffield and found thease arches, they look right for hight and style. he he

Arches Sussex st

Sue

HI, I agree, the photo is taken from the other side of effingham rd , and behind the photographer led right down to the Don where there was a bridge over through Matthews timber yard on savile often used as a shortcut but frowned on by Matthews, Skeets

Guest bus man

HI, I agree, the photo is taken from the other side of effingham rd , and behind the photographer led right down to the Don where there was a bridge over through Matthews timber yard on savile often used as a shortcut but frowned on by Matthews, Skeets

That may explain the problem the signal box is not a MR/LMS one as they had "semi/detached tapared roofs"

Does anyone have an old kelly's directory to look up 110 - its on the gate post

Guest plain talker

hope you are doing okay, now, texx?

yes I agree with Skeets, it looks to me like the far side of the railway arches, either on Effingham or Fred Mulley near Attercliffe Road.

Wherever it is the railway line is certainly bending away to the right and there is what looks like another bridge before the signal box.

<br />Wherever it is the railway line is certainly bending away to the right and there is what look

s like another bridge before the signal box.<br />

<br /><br /><br /> Thats right Mike --the one Walt is leaning on Skeets

<br />The arch at the side of the previously North pole pub is a square arch. Is it possable to see a square arch in the near foreground??<br /><br /><br /><br />Can you see that the arch to the right has been bricked up and strengthened.<br /><br />The North Pole pub is being done up at the moment.<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Dont think so! square arches are hard to find Skeets ha ha

Wherever it is the railway line is certainly bending away to the right and there is what looks like another bridge before the signal box.

The line from Brightside Junction to Sheffield Road was a continuous right hand curve and was all embankment apart from the bridge and arches at Vulcan Road.

<br />It would be interesting to know who/what brewery/s ditributed 'Bass' around the year of the photo, it would be 'Bottled Bass' &quot; I think&quot; so who distributed it, was it just 'Stones' or was there another local brewer who had

the franchise around that time?<br />

<br /><br /><br />

HI Steve l think there were a lot of outlets for Bass in those days, for bottled especially, but not many had draught ,the only one that stands out is the KINGS ARMS in Commercial st , l think Bass was brewed in London and delivered to most large towns . Skeets.

There is another angle on this, and you may not like it. :unsure:

Thought 1

"He was a Lorry Driver all his life" !!!

Thought 2

He could have delivered all over the country.

Thought 3

This picture could have been taken anywhere in the country, or at least wherever Bass was delivered ????

IT MIGHT NOT BE IN SHEFFIELD :blink:

There is another angle on this, and you may not like it. :unsure:

Thought 1

"He was a Lorry Driver all his life" !!!

Thought 2

He could have delivered all over the country.

Thought 3

This picture could have been taken anywhere in the country, or at least wherever Bass was delivered ????

IT MIGHT NOT BE IN SHEFFIELD :blink:

`Oh ye of little faith`

Looks like Sheffield District Railway, between Brightside Junction and West Tinsley Station. This line was later called the L.M.S. & L.N.E.R. Joint Railway. Tinsley West Station was further down the line just before Sheffield Road and I think the photo was taken looking in that direction from what is now Meadowhall Drive, formerly Vulcan Road.
SKEETS GRANDADS PHOTO RANG A BELL. I WAS IN A YARD LIKE THAT NEARLY 50 YEARS AGO.

Take a look on PictureSheffield.com photo s15082 is taken looking towards the bridge at Vulcan Road in the direction of Brightside Junction. The track is 8 lines wide at this point, and to the right in the distance looks like the signal box in Skeets photo.

SKEETS GRANDADS PHOTO RANG A BELL. I WAS IN A YARD LIKE THAT NEARLY 50 YEARS AGO.

Take a look on PictureSheffield.com photo s15082 is taken looking towards the bridge at Vulcan Road in the direction of Brightside Junction. The track is 8 lines wide at this point, and to the right in the distance looks like the signal box in Skeets photo.

Link to picturesheffield photo s15082

Guest bus man

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury

Following the lull in this thread I decided to go back to old fashioned research methods , not using the modern form of wizzing around the city in a motor cars inspecting railway arches and using photographic equipement , to see if I could answer the origional question SORRY IVE FAILED

Having read this thread fully I have done the following using the 1951 kellys directory of sheffield and the 1951 street map

Looked at every street where a railway line crosses it (Note I ddint do the midland line from granville rd to the city boundry but did do it the other way)

Looked up in kellys the 110 adress on each of the above streets - there is the number 110 on the gate post

Looked up Hogg the firm which employed the op's grandfather

and the result :

No Luck however the following conclusions have been brought

There arnt many streets in sheffield where the line crosses with a 110 on them

Rutland Rd as a 110 but it is a residental property

SB Hogh had a depot on burngreave Road and a office is listed at Palm St - none are near a railway line

Can we confirm that the company was household removal contractor and not a general haulier

There are three more avenues to go down then I think I may agree that its not sheffield - dont supose

anyone can give me any registrations for the vehicles in the yard can they

One of the avenues is I will take the photo to the next sheffield transport study group meeting I attend just

in case anyone can locate it

Thanks to sheffield city librarys local studdies dept for their help

There are three more avenues to go down then I think I may agree that its not sheffield - dont supose

anyone can give me any registrations for the vehicles in the yard can they

One of the avenues is I will take the photo to the next sheffield transport study group meeting I attend just

in case anyone can locate it

Thanks to sheffield city librarys local studdies dept for their help

fred mully road

Hi bus man,

no registrations are visible,

the work man in the background (second open arch) appears to be wearing an apron.

I have enlarged the image for you to view,

but by doing so it would not print out any better than the original.

Keep up the good work.

Guest bus man

Thank You , another sugestion that as been made is that the number on the gate could be just that a gate number for a firm .

Just a thought after reading this ..

"There was much activity in 1954 when Stones bought out near rivals Mappin's Masbrough Old Brewery of Rotherham"

Could the photograph have been taken at Masbrough, Rotherham,

where was/is Mappins Old Brewery, was it near a rail line?

Just a thought after reading this ..

"There was much activity in 1954 when Stones bought out near rivals Mappin's Masbrough Old Brewery of Rotherham"

Could the photograph have been taken at Masbrough, Rotherham,

where was/is Mappins Old Brewery, was it near a rail line?

If memory serves me right, the railway is not on a viaduct at Masborough, in fact the road goes over the railway at Masborough Station.

I can't recall any such viaducts in Rotherham

If memory serves me right, the railway is not on a viaduct at Masborough, in fact the road goes over the railway at Masborough Station.

I can't recall any such viaducts in Rotherham

Came across this photo on Picture Sheffield - looked familiar :rolleyes: but it is still not right is it?

Guest beemerboy

maybe this chucks a spanner in the works but could it be the old park railway which was near the canal and ran where the parkway is now,a few coal merchants worked out of there.

maybe this chucks a spanner in the works but could it be the old park railway which was near the canal and ran where the parkway is now,a few coal merchants worked out of there.

This topic has been running since July 2008, this is one of our longest unsolved mysteries

Thought it about time to give another try

Around 1990 the company I work for contracted out some work to D A Coopers, a steel machining company. I sometimes delivered items to them, the yard was through the arches on to the Wicker and on the left hand side, just before where Studio 7 was.

There was no other bridge over the Wicker, so Ithink the arches were an extension to Victoria station, I imagine for shunting purposes.

I have just looked at Google earth and 110 the Wicker fits the spot, this must have all gone when the new ring road was constructed.

Coopers are now at Fullerton Rd Rotherham. I should think some one could verify their Wicker address.

Shaun

Around 1990 the company I work for contracted out some work to D A Coopers, a steel machining company. I sometimes delivered items to them, the yard was through the arches on to the Wicker and on the left hand side, just before where Studio 7 was.

There was no other bridge over the Wicker, so Ithink the arches were an extension to Victoria station, I imagine for shunting purposes.

I have just looked at Google earth and 110 the Wicker fits the spot, this must have all gone when the new ring road was constructed.

Coopers are now at Fullerton Rd Rotherham. I should think some one could verify their Wicker address.

Shaun

Is this any help Shaun,

sorry we don't have a matching OS map to cover the SW corner.

OS maps #10, 92 and 94.

Link to map #94

--------------------------

Edit: full map below