The Albert Pub

Guest dex

ET5jnRfXQAcLMcv.jpg

Does anyone remember the Albert pub opposite the City Hall. Now that was a proper pub. I used to frequent it in the early 70`s but can`t remember when it was pulled down. I think my brother took a photo when it was I`ll have to see if he still has it.

Guest transit

Does anyone remember the Albert pub opposite the City Hall. Now that was a proper pub. I used to frequent it in the early 70`s but can`t remember when it was pulled down. I think my brother took a photo when it was I`ll have to see if he still has it.

...hope these help----- pic 1, shows the Albert being demolished around mid80"s , it then became the usual car park for several years before, pic2, the site as now. Both views ,for those who dont know, are taken from the City Hall front steps.

Guest oldman

I remember the Albert well-like you said a proper pub. As a youth on the dole in the mid 70s I would go to the DHSS building on West Street, collect my dole money and head straight into the Albert with my mates. Once ensconsed copious amounts of beer and the ocassional imported herb from Morroco would make all lifes worries disappear-ah, Happy Daze....

Guest JackD

That was the first pub i took my then girlfriend to(now my wife),she hated it said it was rough!, (she came from the wyburn??).that was about 1960.

Just found a photo taken in 1985 from the corner of Balm Green. The wasteland behind the tree obscures where the Albert once stood.

I used to work on Cambridge Street for a short time in the Sixties. After work I would often pay Albert a visit, just to make sure the world was still turning, wink,wink. I have been told the official reason for it's demise was due to bomb damage, from the nice lads in the Luftwaffe. But I don't know how true it is.