Heeley Tram Depot -Albert Road

Hjdary

I have just seen today something was made me so sad.

A year ago I was on Albert Road, in a customers house, who told me that some builder had bought the old horse tram depot at the bottom of the road, and was intending to build flats on the site. (theres a novelty for Sheffield!)

I said it would be a shame to loose the arch way with the old Sheffield Tramway Company legend on it but she quite proudly said the locals had protested and the council had got the frontage listed..."they can only build the flats if they incorperate the archway" she said and furthermore..."the builder said he was going to restore it a bit"

This was the scene last year....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/hjdary/P8041098.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/hjdary/P8041099.jpg

So this morning when I saw that I had Mrs Laidler on my sheet again I thought I'd have a look down the bottom of the road again to see how the arch was doing. I nearly wept....look....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/hjdary/DSC00240.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/hjdary/DSC00241.jpg

Mrs Laidler told me that the builder claims that the arch was in a bad way and fell down in the middle of the night.

Now Im sure that the builder being a reputable trader is as gutted as me. And the rumour is the council has told him to stop all work until the arch is re-instated but this type of thing seems to happen time and again.

Think back to Queens road depot....the frontage of that was meant to be saved.

A friend of mine who works for a demolition company once told me that if they were on a site with something like this inthe way they would leave it til the weekend and flatten the offending buildng late on a saturday when no one was around. Then by monday report it as a accident.

While I stress, I'm sure this is not whats happened here its still makes you wonder.

This must serve as a timely reminder....take a photo now...before its gone.

R.I.P. another Sheffield landmark. :(

Such things do not "just fall down", in central Newcastle there is "Grainger Town", all the buildings are listed, all have been demolished (at the back), rebuilt and the frontages preserved, the same happened on Fargate two-or- three years ago. See the link My Mystery Building about the Vestry Hall on Thorpe Road South, link there to some remarkable restoration to a building I though was a sure fired cert for an "accidental" fire.

Guest Whelk

one example where they've been saved in Sheffield is the Tramways medical centre on Holme Lane.They were told before they could even build that in no uncertain terms that the front wall must be kept.Unfortunatley the "accidents" happen all the time in the building industry,take a look at the site up Pitsmoor a few months back that planning was being held up on due to trees planted there,only for them to be dug up mysteriously one night.

Probably a third of Newcastle upon Tyne's city centre, is protected, its called Grainger Town, very beautiful buildings, all have been "peeled and stripped" (the back end demolished and rebuilt) over the years. All too easy to knock over "accidently" a wall/arch/whatever if its not in the City Centre. Sad.

Guest transit

Probably a third of Newcastle upon Tyne's city centre, is protected, its called Grainger Town, very beautiful buildings, all have been "peeled and stripped" (the back end demolished and rebuilt) over the years. All too easy to knock over "accidently" a wall/arch/whatever if its not in the City Centre. Sad.

I am absolutely fuming about this happening - I hope the company are sued AND forced to re-build THIS LANDMARK immediately before any further work can commence - then provide 24hour security till the rest of the work is completed. This building (or at least the facade) , was listed to be saved , because it was a reminder of Sheffields first garage for its venture into mass public transport, the horsedrawn trams.

The building housed the horses and single -decker trams from 1879,as inscribed on the now demolished stone, for many years as the electric trams did not start running in Sheffield till 1899. That is why it is only a small archway in comparison to the later built garages which could accomodate double -decker trams ,plus overhead tramwires. Single deck trams could only be used at first also because of all the low railway bridges throughout Sheffield- a problem overcome by lowering the roadway underneath (nearby Heeley Bridge one example)

So now i hope many more people will understand how significant this small bit of Sheffield past was, and hope it will never be able to happen again. I hope the much larger Tinsley tramsheds facade dont suffer a similar fate as soon as the inevitable developers move in to build even more offices/appartments. The smirk on the forklift drivers face sums it up about the compassion they have about historical landmarks. Enough said ,for now ,must calm down.

Guest transit

Tinsley Tram sheds facade are Grade 2 listed,so nothing can be done to them

Maybe - but i seem to have heard this before..........believe me ,nothing is safe when these "developers" get a hold, as Heeley proves.

I may be wrong but they could have been removed and kept ready to be incorporated in the new build.

I must be getting soft.

jiginc

Have a look at this.

Scroll down to the very last item.

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-coun...forcement-cases

Found and copied this via google..

DEVELOPMENT SERVICES

REPORT TO CITY CENTRE, SOUTH & EAST PLANNING AND HIGHWAYS AREA BOARD

16 April 2007

ENFORCEMENT REPORT

WILFUL DAMAGE TO A GRADE II LISTED BUILDING

FORMER HORSE TRAM DEPOT, ALBERT ROAD, SHEFFIELD

PURPOSE OF THE REPORT

The purpose of this report is to inform Board Members of a breach of planning control and to make recommendations on any further action required

BACKGROUND

Planning Permission and Listed Building Consent were granted conditionally for the erection of 38 flats, communal open space and car parking with partial demolition to a listed building to form 46 flats, car parking space and communal amenity area in 2005.

In December 2005 the developers were informed that their proposal to remove the roofs of the buildings and raise the height of the entrance arch would not be looked on favourably and advised not to submit a planning application or a listed building application to amend the approved scheme.

A complaint was received from a local resident stating that in late January 2007, workmen arrived at the site after dark and started to carry out a number of unauthorised works. This has resulted in the loss of stonework, the entrance archway and the carved lettering from the site.

ASSESSMENT OF BREACH OF CONTROL

The former Horse Tram depot and Stables on Albert Road were designated Grade II listing in December 1995. The depot is a red brick building with stone and buff brick detailing, a slate roof with steel supports. The rest of the complex comprises of a gatehouse, a mess building and three ranges of stables.

The Tram depot had a striking pointed arched entrance with stone coping and incorporated carved name and date stones.

The site was visited the week prior to the unauthorised works after the severe storms that affected much of the city. There was evidence of some structural damage but the archway was still standing.

Having being informed of the unauthorised works, a member of the Urban Design and Conservation team visited the site in February 2007 with a view to assessing the extent of damage done. The arch and gable had been completely demolished and it was unclear at this time whether or not the rubble had been stored or simply been disposed of. The Structural engineer working on behalf of the developer has stated subsequently that some of the materials have been salvaged and stored on site.

3.5 It is felt that the arched entrance and it’s detailing is an integral part of the Listed Building and therefore it should be re-instated, along with the slate roof covering.

ASSESSMENT OF ENFORCEMENT OPTIONS

Under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990, the local authority has the ability to serve a Stop Notice, however the unauthorised works have already been completed and therefore a Stop Notice would have no effect at this stage.

Under Sections 47 and 48 of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 the local authority can serve a Buildings Repair Notice on the developer. This can lead to the local authority stipulating that the building be returned to it’s state at the time it was listed if necessary. In this case, however as subsequent approval has been given for alterations to the building this is not the most appropriate course of action.

Under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990, Section 38 The Local Planning Authority can serve a listed Building Enforcement Notice if it believes that unauthorised works have taken place that has led to the wilful damage of a Listed Building

A Listed Building Enforcement Notice must be served on the owner(s) and occupier(s) of the land, together with anyone else who is known to have an interest in the land. It takes effect no less than 28 days after the date of service and carries the right of appeal. Any appeal would hold the notice in abeyance. If there is no appeal, or an appeal is dismissed, failure to comply with the requirements of the notice would render the owner of the land liable to prosecution. It is an offence for a person who has control of or an interest in the land (other than the owner) to carry on any activity, which is required by the notice to cease.

It is the latter of these options that is felt to be the most appropriate course of action for the authority to take and the recommendation of this report is for the Horse depot to be rebuilt and re-roofed up to extent shown in the approved plans for re-development.

Officers are also in discussion with the Council Litigation Service with regard to the preparation of a prosecution file for the wilful damage of a Listed Building.

FINANCIAL AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES

There are no financial or equal opportunity implications arising from the recommendations contained in this report.

RECOMMENDATION

6.1 That authority be given for the Assistant Chief Executive of Legal and Governance to take all steps necessary including the serving of a Listed Building enforcement notice to secure the re-building and re-roofing of the former horse tram depot and if appropriate the instigation of legal proceedings to secure a prosecution for wilful damage at Albert Road, Sheffield.

Les Sturch

Head of Planning 12 April 2007

Have just been up there today and am shocked to see that even after the City council has instructed the builder to re instate the arch before carrying on they have done little if anything other than carry on with building the flats.....

A few weeks ago....

and now....

Have just been up there today and am shocked to see that even after the City council has instructed the builder to re instate the arch before carrying on they have done little if anything other than carry on with building the flats.....

Kick up a stink, write to the Star, lobby the local TV, I'll run naked down the Moor ..... maybe

Guest transit

Hold fire a little bit - Richard put your trousers back on! - from the pictures, it looks like building work is progressing to the SIDE of the archway , and although work hasnt yet begun to restore the arch, the builders also havnt started any other work as the council enforced , till the arch is replaced . I hope the delay is due to collecting all possible info ect , so it can be identically rebuilt.

I have to admit you're right Transit, they have not done anything else to the arch area.

It has to be said though, I worry that the arch has gone forever now.

Looking at the site, the slates have been removed from the roof and the timbers (and Steels) exposed to the elements and which may mean that by the time something is done it may be too late.

I know it was a bit tatty and very old but as I have said many times before it was a landmark in Sheffields history,

Part of its problem is that it is transport related. If it had been a church or related to something more popular like football it may have been more thought about.

THREADS MERGED.......

the arch of Heeley tram depot on Albert Road has now been restored.It was demolished by a builder by mistake. He did not realise that it was a listed building. has anyone written about this arch on this site? it is only small so I am assuming that the trams were horsedrawn.Is this arch anything like the original?

Guest transit

the arch of Heeley tram depot on Albert Road has now been restored.It was demolished by a builder by mistake. He did not realise that it was a listed building. has anyone written about this arch on this site? it is only small so I am assuming that the trams were horsedrawn.Is this arch anything like the original?

As much thankfull as i am on seeing the arch restored ----- why has something bit a chunck of brickwork off the left side just below the arch?

That looks fantastic.

I always liked the fact that the arch was wonky before with different bricks etc but it has to be said that it looks right somehow the way its now.

That looks fantastic.

I always liked the fact that the arch was wonky before with different bricks etc but it has to be said that it looks right somehow the way its now.

Thanks all for the info. Much appreciated.

Guest bus man

I went and had a look at the new arch today its very good you wouldnt know it was higher think they have done some work on the stone which said sheffield as i think it is clearer than it was but the words tramway company is still difficult to read .

But a good job well done glad to see that sheffield council were willing to take action if needed

<br />As much thankfull as i am on seeing the arch restored ----- why has something bit a chunck of brickwork off the left side just below the arch?<br />
will try to answer you quickly, before l lose my post, just wrote you a longish piece of history about this place at 9 pm tonight but lost it, anyhow my answer to, is it like the old one [if it could be reversd it would be ] look at Hildary's photo the chunk out of the pillar is on the other side . Skeets

HI T RANSIT HAVE YOU SEEN MY REPLY RE; THE &quot;RE SOMETHING BITE A CHUNK OUT OF THE LEFT HAND SIDE THAT SOMETHING HAD BIT A CHUNK OUT OF THE OTHER SIDE BEFORE IT WAS REBUILT, I THINK IT MAY BE A TRICK OF THE CAMERA PERHAPS SKEETS

Guest transit

<br /><br /><br /> HI T RANSIT HAVE YOU SEEN MY REPLY RE; THE &quot;RE SOMETHING BITE A CHUNK OUT OF THE LEFT HAND SIDE THAT SOMETHING HAD BIT A CHUNK OUT OF THE OTHER SIDE BEFORE IT WAS REBUILT, I THINK IT MAY BE A TRICK OF THE CAMERA PERHAPS SKEETS

...yes ,i guess you are right ! Just thankful it got rebuilt , and credit to them for doing such a good job !