The Wife and Map Reading

RichardB

Driving into Durham the other day my wife was reading aloud to me from "The History of Sheffield High Street", she is, bless her interested in Old Sheffield, Campo Lane, Hartshead, Church Street and particularly High Street and the Market Square of old.

As we approached Durham Town Centre her task was to negotiate us round the roundabouts so we could find the daughters new flat. Easy enough except for the no entries and one-way systems that plague us all.

There was a silence then she said "I can't find the roundabout !" (A690 - pretty major item) ... <pause>

I glanced over and spotting the second of Sheffield's four Town Halls and Virgins Row, I burst out laughing - Yup, she'd got Gosling's 1736 Map, wrong Town and only 272 years adrift !

Were there many "Ye Roundabouts" in Olde Sheffield Towne ?

Now If that had happened whilst driving in Sheffield's City center then Gosing's map would probably have been of more use to you than last years Sheffield A-Z lol

I'm told by the women in the family that it's true that men and women read maps differently. A man will look at the map and follow a route. A woman will turn the map round so that 'up' is always 'ahead'.

I had my doubts until I was out in the Peak District on an archaeology field trip. We were in several cars, and moving from site to site. After visiting the first one, the lecturer called all the drivers over and said to bring your maps so he could show us where we were going next.

The route began heading north, but then at a junction we were to turn sharp left and head southeast, at which point every one of the women drivers turned their map round, but none of the men did!

some friends of mine were once travelling to a show and totally lost. my friend asks his wife where they were, she replies that they have just passed thro the village of pieow, he snatches map and looks frantically for said village..............turns out she saw a signt that read P.Y.O. :rolleyes: