PENISTONE ROAD

mickjj

Take a look at the picture below. I think this is the bridge next to Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough ground. Anybody verify that?

Penistone Road

Looks like it!

The bridge is still there - with another bridge built next to it to make the dual carraigeway. (The newer one made of stone, whereas the older one is still essentially the metal frame).

Pedestrians crossing the road after the match can look over the wall between the two and compare.

EH ?

Is this the bridge where you come out and turn right onto Penistone Road ?

Could I get a pic of the gap between the bridges then ?

Yes - that's the one.

You can get a pic between it easily.

You could also go under it - we did as kids fishing - there is a gateway on the opposite side of the road (James Hargreaves Plumbers Merchants), with steps that lead to the bank and under the bridge.

I'll certainly try to..

I'll have to stand in the carpark at the South Stand/Kop carpark

It looks like it would be where the Development office or the old club shop used to be

Guest J R Wrigley

The bridge is Owlerton Bridge near the bottom of Bradfield Road where Penistone Road crosses the River Loxley.

It was swept away by the Sheffield Flood in 1864.

It was restored and in 1914 it was widened.

For more information consult "Crossin' O'er" About our bridges - past and present, by the late S. Roy Davey. The Local Studies Library should have a copy.

I have not seen your picture before - it is a treasure.

It also looks very much like one of the bridges over the canal on the way from town to Attercliffe...not sure

Guest wisewoodowl

Ahhhh.. The one by the B&Q car park then?

That's the one, the factories opposite give it away. There were terraced houses further up Penistone Road towards the area opposite the Wednesday ground near to where Kwikfit is.

Thats right. That pic would have been took outside the Royal....many years ago, and the factory was Eaton & Booth (Rolling Mills), which shut up shop and moved to Fullerton Road in Rotherham back in the late 80s.

Reminds me of a Saturday night when I had a few in the Old Crown, and then went for a couple further down in the Victoria. Went back the following week, and the Vic had been demolished.