Help Solve This Mystery..

Sheffield History

Help solve this one..

Here's a picture taken yesterday

It's location is the building next door to Chubby's Takeaway on Cambridge Street

This sign reads 'Edwin Dale' and is really small and hardly noticable..

Who/What was Edwin Dale ??

There was a small shop, just past the old Albert pub which was part of a cutlery firm. As I don't know where the take away is it's difficult to say. The shop further down which was used by Cole Bros as a bargain shop was once the front office of the Sheffield Metal Company. Backfields, which paralels behind Cambridge Street was full of small cutlery firms.

It's possible the sign was a left over from one of these.

hope your eyes are good - this is the only pic I got showing the location

There's the Sportsman pub, then Chubby's takeaway, then the building in question, then John Lewis.

No, the building I had in mind was nearer the right hand side or higher up even. By the way is the Barleycorn still there? Now there was a pub with a reputation!!!

Just re-read the link and noticed this:

Edwin Dale is listed in the 1957, 1961 and 1965 Sheffield Directories as a table knife manufacturer. He's not listed in the next available directory which is 1969.

In 1957 I left school and went to work at The Sheffield Metal Company as an apprentice Die Sinker.

I worked for 9 months just yards from Edwin Dale!

Now that's weird.

Or maybe the Cutlers Company allowed it's members to use their crossed swords motif with their own initials to display their membership? The Cutlers window shows the crossed swords as part of the design matching the Cambridge street escution.

The plot thickens!!!

Guest tsavo

Here's the design above the door of the entrance to the building..

Just read this, posted by Richard....explains why The Cutlers Company coat of arms are above Edwin Dale's old building.

CHAPTER 11 - CUTLERS HALLS AND FEASTS.

WE know with certainty of only three Cutlers' Halls. They successively occupied the same site, in Church Street. Their dates are I638, I726, I832. The late Mr. John Holland expressed the belief that there had been a still earlier hall, standing at the top of Coal Pit Lane, where, in his young days, there was a grinding wheel. Any evidence of the existence of such a building is wholly lacking. There was, until recently, an old house, with low mullioned windows, immediately above the Coal Pit Lane Chapel, which had been long in the family of Mr. E. Linley, sheep-shear manufacturer. Around this hovered a tradition that it had once been a Cutlers' Hall, but this was probably based on no more substantial foundation than the circumstance that over its door~say a stone shield bore the initials "J. L. S.," with the cross daggers. And the occurrence of Cutlers' Company insignia on houses in Sheffield and the neighbourhoodÑ whether utilised from older buildings, or carved by Masters or private members of the Company in pride of office or as a sort of trade markÑis too frequent for any special stress to be laid on the fact.

From “Schooldays” Chapter 11 – The Cutlers Hall and Feasts

http://www.omnesamici.co.uk/MemoriestRELeaderChapter11.html

Thank's Richard, this confirms what I thought had happened.

Well I always thought that Leader document was a minefield of information; original Cutlers symbols, used in Sheffield actually were the London Cutlers symbol !!!

Guest tsavo

Isn't it strange how the threads have come together to answer a month old question! Will read the rest now with eager anticipation. Well posted sir!!

Please go here, read this from Henry Pond; we need pictures of Leah's Yard, and lots more ... don't know a timescale on this, we all knew it was coming, my sister Zoro, warned me of this as well - just remarkable to see the extent of this order ....