Sheffield Coal Mines

dunsbyowl1867

16 hours ago, SteveHB said:

Anyone know what those two spherical objects are in the photo, it's niggling me.

Most of the guys in the image seem to be wearing some sort of respirator device hanging from around their necks, so, I wonder if these are some sort of early, compressed air reservoir?

8 minutes ago, Unitedite Returns said:

Most of the guys in the image seem to be wearing some sort of respirator device hanging from around their necks, so, I wonder if these are some sort of early, compressed air reservoir?

Wikipedia to the "rescue"  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackett's_Aerophor

The insulated bottles contain liquid nitrox - 50% oxygen.

I remember my father telling me that during the 1926 strike many small unofficial and possibly illegal pits were opened up by strikers.

Dunsby I wonder if you could help me out with something, was always told my ancestors were connected with Nunnery Colliery but not sure how (believe it was either management or ownership). The name of that particular branch of the family was Toyne, any idea where I could get more info?

Cheers Utah Owl

8 hours ago, Leonr2z said:

Dunsby I wonder if you could help me out with something, was always told my ancestors were connected with Nunnery Colliery but not sure how (believe it was either management or ownership). The name of that particular branch of the family was Toyne, any idea where I could get more info?

Cheers Utah Owl

Hi i have seen your request of help from Dunsby and i have spotted these items in the papers that might be of use ??

Sheffield Independent 23 February 1882
Nunnery Colliery Club.
Mr W A Toyne Secretary.

Toyne.JPG

The next Two are the same item but different Papers.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 17 October 1903

Toyne.JPG 2.JPG

Sheffield Independent 17 October 1903

Toyne.JPG 3.JPG

9 hours ago, Leonr2z said:

Cheers Utah Owl

There's some information about Nunnery Colliery Co. Limited on this site, but no mention of the name Toyne?

Link to Nunnery Colliery info, via, DMM site

12 hours ago, syrup said:

The next Two are the same item but different Papers.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 17 October 1903

Toyne.JPG 2.JPG

Sheffield Independent 17 October 1903

Toyne.JPG 3.JPG

Wow, thanks for the information!

William Austen Marshall Toyne was my 2x Great Grandfather and George Harry was his eldest son so it all fits. The eldest child was Annie Blanche my Great Grandmother. What is fascinating is that the occupations fit according to the 1901 census (colliery agent and tailor respectively) and courtesy of the earlier advert it is clear he was heavily connected with Nunnery colliery, so basically the info my mum gave me all those years ago stacks up!

What I didn't know was that Harry had died at a young age (he was only 27 in the 1901 census and at that time still single) so I am now curious was the dress concerned a wedding gown? I hadn't got round to researching him as he is a great, grand uncle, but have just had a look and he married 2nd quarter 1901 so just after the census and sadly passed away just two years later. Clearly a story in there.

Thanks once again, very helpful.

P.S. Just noticed the gown that was the cause of the action was ordered April 1903 so guessing it was possibly an anniversary present (cotton for 2nd anniversary).

4 minutes ago, Leonr2z said:

Wow, thanks for the information!

William Austen Marshall Toyne was my 2x Great Grandfather and George Harry was his eldest son so it all fits. The eldest child was Annie Blanche my Great Grandmother. What is fascinating is that the occupations fit according to the 1901 census (colliery agent and tailor respectively) and courtesy of the earlier advert it is clear he was heavily connected with Nunnery colliery, so basically the info my mum gave me all those years ago stacks up!

What I didn't know was that Harry had died at a young age (he was only 27 in the 1901 census and at that time still single) so I am now curious was the dress concerned a wedding gown? I hadn't got round to researching him as he is a great, grand uncle, but have just had a look and he married 2nd quarter 1901 so just after the census and sadly passed away just two years later. Clearly a story in there.

Thanks once again, very helpful.

P.S. Just noticed the gown that was the cause of the action was ordered April 1903 so guessing it was possibly an anniversary present (cotton for 2nd anniversary).

Now can anyone help me with actors on the Sheffield stage?

Just one more item i found, not a nice one but it shows your ancestor as a Traveler for the Nunnery Company in  1891.

Sheffield Evening Telegraph 29 January 1891.

Shocking Cruelty to a Pony.

Toyne.JPG

Thanks syrup. As you say not a nice story and I simply cannot abide cruelty to animals. My experience and philosophy is that those who willingly inflict cruelty on animals would also do the same to people.

Found another article taken from a book called "Frozen Assets" about mining in Spitzbergen. It appears that the people at Nunnery Colliery (including my ancestor) were involved in this too. Also interesting is the Solicitor acting (and also mentioned in the above articles) is Sir William Clegg who played for and became Chairman of Wednesday. Wonder if we have any direct family connections to the club in it's early days?

Frozen Assets_ %22British mining, exploration, and geopolitics on Spitsbergen ... - Frigga Kruse - Goo.webarchive

On Upwell Street at the junction of Dunmow Road there is the Crown Carwash now closed. For over 5 years to my knowledge there has been a constant flow of water from the car wash over the pavement and down the gutter. I have reported it to Yorkshire Water who insist it is not mains or sewage water and seem to think it is ground water runoff. The volume of the water does not seem dependant on rainfall and is constant in it quantity. The think it could be connected to some sort of abandoned mine workings any ideas as to the culprit.

6 hours ago, davekgautier said:

On Upwell Street at the junction of Dunmow Road there is the Crown Carwash now closed. For over 5 years to my knowledge there has been a constant flow of water from the car wash over the pavement and down the gutter. I have reported it to Yorkshire Water who insist it is not mains or sewage water and seem to think it is ground water runoff. The volume of the water does not seem dependant on rainfall and is constant in it quantity. The think it could be connected to some sort of abandoned mine workings any ideas as to the culprit.

I would have thought it’s a natural spring, there’s quite a number where I live.

7 hours ago, davekgautier said:

There was a spring/stream that ran down that bank from the side of Earl Marshall Road. There was also an old mine air shaft very close.

Enlargement of air photo of Woodthorpe Colliery 1927. It was still in operation as you can see smoke coming out of the chimney.

Woodthorpe Collery 1927.jpg

28 minutes ago, shizzle said:

Came across this little gem today. Little Matlock, Loxley.

Pubs A-Z

From "The Century's Progress" 1893.  For some reason the book is available on a cat enthusiast website, well OCR'd and with engravings.  It covers many smaller business's in Sheffield, often in some detail.

Link: 1893 The Century's Progress - Yorkshire

Nunnery1893.png.804c121b63b56470198def51db98c5a6.png

Unquestionably one of the most important commercial institutions of Sheffield is the Nunnery Colliery Company, Limited, which supplies most of the public institutions of the town with coal, and also, directly or indirectly, provides at least one half of the inhabitants. The business was originally established in 1868. The Nunnery Colliery was formerly the sole property of the Duke of Norfolk, under whom it was worked until seventeen years ago, when a number of capitalists succeeded in converting it into a limited liability company. The managing director is Mr. Emerson Bainbridge, J.P., a gentleman who is well known and held in high estimation throughout a wide commercial circle. Mr. William Black is the secretary. The head offices at Corn Exchange Buildings are handsomely appointed, with a spacious board- room and private rooms for the heads of the several departments. A large clerical staff is provided with all the modern appliances for the rapid transaction of a large amount of commercial correspondence and other business. The Company have a branch office at 58, West Street, and also offices in London. They have also fine depots in Sheffield, which are known respectively as Soap House, in Blast Lane; Salmon Pastures, in Attercliffe Road; Nunnery, in Woodbourn Road and Cricket Road, to all of which the Company have their private line of railways; Manor Pit, within a stone’s throw of the old Manor Castle; Woodthorpe Pit, in Intake Road. There are, likewise, two additional depots, one at Heeley Station, on the Midland Railway, and the other at Wadsley Bridge, on the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire Railway.

The Nunnery Colliery Company are producing Silkstone and Parkgate coal at the Silkstone, Parkgate, Manor, and Woodthorpe pits, which are all situated in the neighbourhood of Sheffield. The output of these pits is about seventeen hundred tons per day. As they are raising the Silkstone coal at three different pits, they are enabled to guarantee promptitude in the execution of orders for this favourite fuel. They also manufacture upwards of two hundred tons per day of the finest washed steel melting coke, for which they have a large demand in Sheffield for crucible steel melting, where it is held in very high esteem. In the large stables and stable yards of the Company there is accommodation for from eighty to one hundred horses and carts. All these vehicles are in constant use, and the Company are, therefore, able to supply coal direct from the pits to the cellars of their customers. The saving which is thus effected by dispensing with the usual charges for railway carriage and hire of wagons enables the Company to deliver coals at the lowest possible prices.

A large amount of money has recently been spent by the Company in providing the most complete mechanical arrangements for thoroughly picking and cleaning the coal. The coal is tipped over vibrating riddles, by means of which the small coal is entirely separated from the large. The large coal is carried slowly by belts into carts and railway trucks, and all impurities are picked out by a number of men and boys placed on the two sides of the belts. The management of this great business in all its departments is most energetic, and all its details, industrial as well as commercial, are constantly under the personal supervision of the managing director and the secretary. The Company contemplate sinking two new pits to the Silkstone and Parkgate seams, in the neighbourhood of Darnell, at an early date, which will very considerably increase the already large output of both house and manufacturing coal.

There are several images relating to Collieries, including Nunnery Colliery on Picture Sheffield website. 

Dated 1865. Winching the beam of the pumping engine 'Old Sal' into position, Nunnery Colliery Co. 'Old Sal' worked until 1933

s22567.jpg.37a7b62196dedadca4f72e05f5b8228b.jpgs22567

Nunnery Colliery 1912p01115.jpg.c7e169dbde1ddcb4b7b8ee66bf9741a9.jpgp01115

Photographer, Fred Shaw, shows Nunnery Colliery Mines Rescue Team and a note accompanying it "Note the bird in the cage" 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t11648&pos=19&action=zoom&id=91153

Image by Sheffield Newspaper 1967, entitled Handsworth Colliery (also known as Handsworth Nunnery Colliery), Finchwell Road. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s27827&pos=3&action=zoom&id=30561

There are also several taken by Malcolm Shaw with a recorded date period 1940-1959. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;v01874&pos=6&action=zoom&id=43627

3 hours ago, Ponytail said:

There are several images relating to Collieries, including Nunnery Colliery on Picture Sheffield website. 

Dated 1865. Winching the beam of the pumping engine 'Old Sal' into position, Nunnery Colliery Co. 'Old Sal' worked until 1933

s22567.jpg.37a7b62196dedadca4f72e05f5b8228b.jpgs22567

Nunnery Colliery 1912

I simply love this photograph showing full compliance with all aspects of the Health and Safety at Work Act, etc.

• Like 1