Stubbin

Guest TCV

title....forename....surname...occupation...abode......directory

.........Francis J......SEARLE......................Stubbin....Kelly's 1893

Does anyone know what Stubbin for Abide means and why is the occupation blank? Occupation blank I've been told may mean gentleman a man of means/private income? Also pointed out to me as I originally come from Firth Park it may have a connection to Stubbin Lane?

For your consideration; no claims made on behalf of ths, no further information; empoling 14 men - maybe wealthy enough to retire by 1893 ?

Cheers fellas, Rawmarsh is out in the sticks towards ladybower? As for the Devon connection Richard B spot on John Searle, Francis John Mills Searle's Dad was born in Dawlish Devon about 1809. Went to archives today and found his burial plot, I can see why people got almost addicted to this stuff!

Interesting about the Stubbin too, I'm from Firth Park originally and there's a Stubbin Lane, does Stubbin mean something? The employing 14 men bit I think had summat to do with 'brass turning' and he lived on St Mary's Road at the time, last I saw was he lived at Balby Hexthorpe Donny!

Cheers for looking I appreciate it anymore leads would be great!

Andrew

STUBBIN(G) is apparently a combination of

stubb Old Eng. tree-stump (=Old Norse stubb-r)

and

ing Old North and East English meadow (=Old Norse eng)

so 'tree-stump meadow', or in other words 'cleared land'. A topographical name that could be used anywhere.

Hugh

Richard,

I think it would be a good idea to add the date to that census page - there is nothing to say that it is 1881 (and you had just mentioned 1891 :)

Do we know where he was in 1891?

Hugh

Right that's interest, strange how that's the only word 'Stubbin' for abode, wonder if its the area or the name of the house/building.

Andrew, did you get that directory entry from an actual volume, or from an inernet source?

Kelly's (but not White's) directories in the 19th century had two alphabetical listings: a Trade directory and a Court directory. I think the latter was for people who were considered (or considered themselves) to be above the category of 'trade' lol In the court directory occupations are not generally listed.

Hugh

Hugh, I got it from an internet source. So he might have been a bit snobbish then?

What's a court directory? People who have been in front of a judge, possible criminals?

Maybe many of them should have been up before a judge he he , but these are the 'great and the good' and 'court directory' is a use of the term which was probably invented for the purpose of listing them away from the tradesmen.

I just refreshed my memory about these directories at historicaldirectories.org (not with a Sheffield directory however as they don't have any Kelly's there) but I find that what I called the 'trade' section is actually headed 'commercial'.

I liked this note at the top of the court section in the Leeds 1888 volume:

In order to afford space for the addresses, the abbreviation "esq" for esquire has no longer been appended to each name in the "Court Directory". It should be understood that such should be added to the name of every gentleman in the following pages to which no inconsistent addition is affixed.

Hugh

So it does sound he did well for himself then? But perhaps a little pretentious! I was talking to my Grandad's neice and she seems to think he ended up in the pub trade.

This is assuming he is in the court directory. He might be listed in the 'commercial' section for some reason without an occupation (or it could be a mistranscription). If I get a chance today I will check the original.

Hugh

So if the occupation is blank it generally means gentleman?

Cheers for that Hugh appreciate it.

I looked at the 1893 kelly's in the library today.

In the index of places there are 2 places called Stubbin. One is the one near Rawmarsh. The other is included under Elsecar. Francis J Searle is listed in the Stubbin under Elsecar. He is one of only two people in 'Stubbin' listed without an occupation, these two being followed by a section headed 'commercial'. So I think this is the 'suburban' version of a 'court directory'. The other person, George PULLIN, actually seems to be listed in both sections. He was a builder and monumental mason in the commercial list.

This Stubbin is between Hoyland Nether and Elsecar. You can see it on old maps at Old-maps.co.uk...

click maps at the top

enter 438100 400400 as coordinates and click 'go'.

zoom in using bars on the left.

The first map you see is the 1855 one. You can choose later ones from the small ones below - the co-ordinates stay the same until you change them or move the window over a map. Not all the maps are zoomable.

From The Placenames of the West Riding

Stubbin is in the township of Nether Hoyland

Stubbing - a place where tree-stumps have been cleared, a clearing.

But there may be other meanings because the following reference doesn't seem to relate to the above definition...

"...one Powe sold to William a bovate of land with a garden and a stubbing; after the agreement was made, Powe came and threw down the stubbing and carried it away"

Hugh

So he made his money and moved out to the countryside then? Tried that old maps and coordinates Hugh says there's a problem with the page I'll have to try later. Its very interesting rumour has it he went into the pub trade after the factory not sure if its right tho

Cheers

Andrew

Guest skeets

Searle 1891 = huge leaning towards Devon ...

RichardB .Someone mentioned Stubbin lane, in fact there is an estate called Stubbin ,runs parallel with Stubbin lane, l know this co's l was the housing inspector for the area, it stretches from the top of Stubbin lane ,down Barnsley rd to Horninglow rd , then back to Stubbin lane , giving that this estate may be named after a hamlet named Stubbin, this could be the answer. Skeets

RichardB .Someone mentioned Stubbin lane, in fact there is an estate called Stubbin ,runs parallel with Stubbin lane, l know this co's l was the housing inspector for the area, it stretches from the top of Stubbin lane ,down Barnsley rd to Horninglow rd , then back to Stubbin lane , giving that this estate may be named after a hamlet named Stubbin, this could be the answer. Skeets

On the 1905 map part of the area occupied by the Stubbin estate is part of the grounds/park for The Brushes, and the rest is open fields. Is it perhaps more likely that the name came from a field name, just as Page hall took its name from the house, which in turn was named after the piece of land it was built on? The Brushes or Brush House took the name from the low shrubs that covered the area before it was built in the 1790's.

Guest skeets

On the 1905 map part of the area occupied by the Stubbin estate is part of the grounds/park for The Brushes, and the rest is open fields. Is it perhaps more likely that the name came from a field name, just as Page hall took its name from the house, which in turn was named after the piece of land it was built on? The Brushes or Brush House took the name from the low shrubs that covered the area before it was built in the 1790's.

Thanks Bayleaf Skeets