Medal mystery

Guest tsavo

The two names...

Ernest D Fawcett

Lennox B Dixon

Lennox DIXON must be a member of the Cornish Place Dixons, the last owners of Hillsborough Hall before it was given to the city for a library. And these two are likely to be related as the 'D' in Fawcett's name is Dixon.

from the Sheffield Local Register...

8 Jul 1896

Marriage of Miss Wightman, daughter of Mr. Dossey Wightman, and Mr. Ernest Dixon Fawcett, of the firm of Jas. Dixon and Sons, Cornish Place Works, Sheffield.

Dossey Wightman is a familiar name - he was the coroner for Sheffield

There are a few mentions in the Local Register of presentations being made on the occasion of someone's majority. Since that publication only has a very small sample of news stories I would expect these two to be mentioned in the newspapers.

Hugh

Guest tsavo

Great going, Hugh. Was it customery to give a medal to somone who reached majority as in 21? It's the two seperate dates and places that puzzle me, ie: Whirlow Court and Hillsborough Park, the 13th and 14th of June.

Somewhere on here there was a discussion about the Dixon family, and a photo of Lennox on his birthday, standing outside the Hall, (i.e. in the park), with a friend(?) and an old lady who was a maid at the Hall, obviously at his birthday celebration. Perhaps this was a souvenir for people who attended the celebration, and perhaps the two young men celebrated their birthdays on the 13th and 14th? Whirlow Court, aka Whirlow Hall and Whirlowbrook Hall was built by Mr &Mrs Percy Fawcett. Ernest's parents? So two similar celebrations by two related families on consecutive days? A lot of perhapses I know!

Sheffield Daily Independent

Friday 14th June 1889

page 6 column e

Sheffield Daily Independent

Saturday 15th June 1889

page 5 column h

The Telegraph (poorer photocopies) has some different details. The birthdays were actually on June 2nd (Dixon) and June 6th (Fawcett) but the main celebration was postponed until the Whitsuntide holidays for the benefit of the workforce. The football game was a "comical development of football a la theatrical match at Bramall Lane a year or two ago"

Hugh

Guest tsavo

So are we heading towards thinking that the medal was to celebrate the Majority of the two men?

If I'm way off, sorry but I had difficulty reading all the press report.

The medals are not mentioned but I think they were to mark these two events on consecutive days (which are not the actual birthdays of the two young men). I would guess that they were given to every member of the workforce (or those who attended).

Although prizes for the sports events are mentioned there is no hint that they were medals.

Hugh

Guest tsavo

So ideally we would need a name from the daughter to see if it matched any of the winners?.....unless everyone got one, which means....sorry off to the airport now to collect G/Daughter, maybe my brain will be working again after a 60 mile drive!