Hillsbrough Barracks Tunnels

Guest codders

Guest codders

Sorry to bring up a hidden tunnels theme but this one is a little more recent.

I was told some time ago by an old friend about a tunnel he had been shown some 60 years ago, leading from Hillsbrough barracks, apparantly it was a brick built affair with side vaults, closed off by metal gates, leading from the main tunnel.

He was told that it had been built to enable troops to leave the barracks unseen, presumably to shoot those citizens who were ungratefull and protesting at the powers that be of the time!

Has anyone else heard of this tunnel or have any info on it or is it just another urban myth?

This one sounds very interesting

Did your friend tell you where the tunnel came out at the other end ?

I'm inclined to think it's another urban myth. There were very likely underground storage areas, perhaps for ammunition? What there was undergound, and still is, is half a million gallons of fresh water in tanks. According to the authorities this was for fire-fighting purposes, but the common belief was that it was to supply the garrison and local gentry who would take refuge in the barracks in the event of a popular rising!

Guest codders

This one sounds very interesting

Did your friend tell you where the tunnel came out at the other end ?

He did'nt say where it came out but he did say he walked down it for "quite a way" have been trying to get in touch with him again so will keep you informed

Never heard of them but it seems somewhat logical that there could be tunnels or cellars to keep munitions in. Also, I've heard of tunnels under the Ship Inn on Shalemoors but I'm none the wiser on that point too.